Upgrading brakes ideas? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Upgrading brakes ideas?

  #1  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Angry Tomato's Avatar
Angry Tomato
Angry Tomato is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 66
Angry Tomato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Upgrading brakes ideas?

I've now driven 500 miles on my truck with the 2.5 spring level kit from ready lift and 37's on it. The braking is leaving a lot to be desired and I was wondering if anyone has done anything to upgrade?
I know I have to expect the added wear and load that adding big tires on to a truck does but this is sloppy/spongy at best. I've built plenty of old 4Runner pickups with 35/37s on in the past and I honestly think even their braking was better.

Thanks in advance.
 
  #2  
Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 AM
ExtremeDuty's Avatar
ExtremeDuty
ExtremeDuty is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Spring Creek, Nevada
Posts: 303
ExtremeDuty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shop around for pricing of course. This is just an example of a quick search. I put these brakes on my '05 2500 HD D/A and even tho' the OEM brakes were fine, these gave it a whole new feel of confidence. Others may chime in with different recommendations.

https://www.realtruck.com/power-stop...018Y743MA.html
 
  #3  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 AM
whagen
whagen is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
whagen is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it feels different than it was before I would bleed the lines again. It shouldn't feel drastically different, just that you need to press slightly harder on the pedal.

Were the flexible lines between frame and axle changed? If so maybe they expand more than stock ones. You can swap them out of higher quality braided lines.

Were any bushing replaced with the lift? That would effect how the truck feels, not so much how the pedal feels. Look at the alignment too.
 
  #4  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Angry Tomato's Avatar
Angry Tomato
Angry Tomato is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 66
Angry Tomato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by whagen View Post
If it feels different than it was before I would bleed the lines again. It shouldn't feel drastically different, just that you need to press slightly harder on the pedal.

Were the flexible lines between frame and axle changed? If so maybe they expand more than stock ones. You can swap them out of higher quality braided lines.

Were any bushing replaced with the lift? That would effect how the truck feels, not so much how the pedal feels. Look at the alignment too.

No lines were changed with the lift. Alignment was done and that was adjusted slightly on the toe but was mostly fine/unchanged. No bushings, just the coils and shocks. Id like to just have a little bit more faith in being able to do an emergency stop.
 
  #5  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Angry Tomato's Avatar
Angry Tomato
Angry Tomato is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 66
Angry Tomato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty View Post
Shop around for pricing of course. This is just an example of a quick search. I put these brakes on my '05 2500 HD D/A and even tho' the OEM brakes were fine, these gave it a whole new feel of confidence. Others may chime in with different recommendations.

https://www.realtruck.com/power-stop...018Y743MA.html
Did you change the calipers as well or just the rotors?
 
  #6  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Tricon's Avatar
Tricon
Tricon is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,958
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
I have 35s, not 37s, but I've made 2 panic stops where I really didn't think this 8k lbs beast was going to stop and she did. Took me a while to get used to the brakes over my last truck, but boy do they stop when you need them to.
 
  #7  
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM
wicked 2018
wicked 2018 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 630
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Angry Tomato View Post
I've now driven 500 miles on my truck with the 2.5 spring level kit from ready lift and 37's on it. The braking is leaving a lot to be desired and I was wondering if anyone has done anything to upgrade?
I know I have to expect the added wear and load that adding big tires on to a truck does but this is sloppy/spongy at best. I've built plenty of old 4Runner pickups with 35/37s on in the past and I honestly think even their braking was better.

Thanks in advance.
My truck seems to brake like stock with my 37's. Can you adjust your shocks to help with any nose dive? Did you put on SS lines? Possibly its the SS lines I put on - then I gave all 4 corners a pressure bleed. Tight confident feeling pedal.

Putting 37's on is not that much more tire or weight than the stock setup - these truck can handle it. Hell, when I tow 10K I can barely feel that behind me. If you are feeling that much of poor braking, I would look at other things possibly. I would start with braided lines - I went with Carli.

Using a bleeder like this makes it a brainless one person, 10 min job:
Amazon Amazon
 
  #8  
Old 12-17-2018, 05:42 PM
RONMCHUGH's Avatar
RONMCHUGH
RONMCHUGH is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Waller,TX.
Posts: 320
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just swapped in Powerstop rotors and pads on all four coners . Like them a lot !!!!!
 
  #9  
Old 12-17-2018, 05:45 PM
acadianbob's Avatar
acadianbob
acadianbob is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 812
acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You've got way more rotating, unsprung weight. Of course your braking will be adversely affected.
 
  #10  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:06 PM
ExtremeDuty's Avatar
ExtremeDuty
ExtremeDuty is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Spring Creek, Nevada
Posts: 303
ExtremeDuty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Angry Tomato View Post
Did you change the calipers as well or just the rotors?
Rotors & Pads only
 
  #11  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 16,926
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Is your truck a F250 with vacuum assist or a F350 with hydroboost?
 
  #12  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Angry Tomato's Avatar
Angry Tomato
Angry Tomato is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 66
Angry Tomato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RONMCHUGH View Post
Just swapped in Powerstop rotors and pads on all four coners . Like them a lot !!!!!

Thanks for the feedback on them.
 
  #13  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Angry Tomato's Avatar
Angry Tomato
Angry Tomato is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 66
Angry Tomato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
Is your truck a F250 with vacuum assist or a F350 with hydroboost?

It's a 250 gasser...
 
  #14  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Angry Tomato's Avatar
Angry Tomato
Angry Tomato is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 66
Angry Tomato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by wicked 2018 View Post
My truck seems to brake like stock with my 37's. Can you adjust your shocks to help with any nose dive? Did you put on SS lines? Possibly its the SS lines I put on - then I gave all 4 corners a pressure bleed. Tight confident feeling pedal.

Putting 37's on is not that much more tire or weight than the stock setup - these truck can handle it. Hell, when I tow 10K I can barely feel that behind me. If you are feeling that much of poor braking, I would look at other things possibly. I would start with braided lines - I went with Carli.

Using a bleeder like this makes it a brainless one person, 10 min job: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6SL2W

I have definitely not got a tight confident pedal. In fact, on stopping the truck seems like its creaking at a dead stop to maintain the wheels in a stopped position.
 
  #15  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Faceplant409's Avatar
Faceplant409
Faceplant409 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 597
Faceplant409 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
I have 35s, not 37s, but I've made 2 panic stops where I really didn't think this 8k lbs beast was going to stop and she did. Took me a while to get used to the brakes over my last truck, but boy do they stop when you need them to.
I have 35's too and I've had a few panic stops. One in particular I needed to moderate pedal to allow room behind and in front of me and I was amazed at how well the stock pads worked.
I now keep spare skivvies under the seat....
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.