2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Upgrading brakes ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:07 AM
Angry Tomato
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading brakes ideas?

I've now driven 500 miles on my truck with the 2.5 spring level kit from ready lift and 37's on it. The braking is leaving a lot to be desired and I was wondering if anyone has done anything to upgrade?
I know I have to expect the added wear and load that adding big tires on to a truck does but this is sloppy/spongy at best. I've built plenty of old 4Runner pickups with 35/37s on in the past and I honestly think even their braking was better.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shop around for pricing of course. This is just an example of a quick search. I put these brakes on my '05 2500 HD D/A and even tho' the OEM brakes were fine, these gave it a whole new feel of confidence. Others may chime in with different recommendations.

https://www.realtruck.com/power-stop...018Y743MA.html

Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 AM
whagen
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If it feels different than it was before I would bleed the lines again. It shouldn't feel drastically different, just that you need to press slightly harder on the pedal.

Were the flexible lines between frame and axle changed? If so maybe they expand more than stock ones. You can swap them out of higher quality braided lines.

Were any bushing replaced with the lift? That would effect how the truck feels, not so much how the pedal feels. Look at the alignment too.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Angry Tomato
Junior User
Originally Posted by whagen
If it feels different than it was before I would bleed the lines again. It shouldn't feel drastically different, just that you need to press slightly harder on the pedal.

Were the flexible lines between frame and axle changed? If so maybe they expand more than stock ones. You can swap them out of higher quality braided lines.

Were any bushing replaced with the lift? That would effect how the truck feels, not so much how the pedal feels. Look at the alignment too.

No lines were changed with the lift. Alignment was done and that was adjusted slightly on the toe but was mostly fine/unchanged. No bushings, just the coils and shocks. Id like to just have a little bit more faith in being able to do an emergency stop.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Angry Tomato
Junior User
Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty
Shop around for pricing of course. This is just an example of a quick search. I put these brakes on my '05 2500 HD D/A and even tho' the OEM brakes were fine, these gave it a whole new feel of confidence. Others may chime in with different recommendations.

https://www.realtruck.com/power-stop...018Y743MA.html
Did you change the calipers as well or just the rotors?

Old 12-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I have 35s, not 37s, but I've made 2 panic stops where I really didn't think this 8k lbs beast was going to stop and she did. Took me a while to get used to the brakes over my last truck, but boy do they stop when you need them to.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:39 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Tomato
I've now driven 500 miles on my truck with the 2.5 spring level kit from ready lift and 37's on it. The braking is leaving a lot to be desired and I was wondering if anyone has done anything to upgrade?
I know I have to expect the added wear and load that adding big tires on to a truck does but this is sloppy/spongy at best. I've built plenty of old 4Runner pickups with 35/37s on in the past and I honestly think even their braking was better.

Thanks in advance.
My truck seems to brake like stock with my 37's. Can you adjust your shocks to help with any nose dive? Did you put on SS lines? Possibly its the SS lines I put on - then I gave all 4 corners a pressure bleed. Tight confident feeling pedal.

Putting 37's on is not that much more tire or weight than the stock setup - these truck can handle it. Hell, when I tow 10K I can barely feel that behind me. If you are feeling that much of poor braking, I would look at other things possibly. I would start with braided lines - I went with Carli.

Using a bleeder like this makes it a brainless one person, 10 min job:
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Just swapped in Powerstop rotors and pads on all four coners . Like them a lot !!!!!

Old 12-17-2018, 04:45 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
You've got way more rotating, unsprung weight. Of course your braking will be adversely affected.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:06 PM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Angry Tomato
Did you change the calipers as well or just the rotors?
Rotors & Pads only

Old 12-17-2018, 05:15 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Is your truck a F250 with vacuum assist or a F350 with hydroboost?

Old 12-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Angry Tomato
Junior User
Originally Posted by RONMCHUGH
Just swapped in Powerstop rotors and pads on all four coners . Like them a lot !!!!!

Thanks for the feedback on them.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:25 PM
Angry Tomato
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Is your truck a F250 with vacuum assist or a F350 with hydroboost?

It's a 250 gasser...

Old 12-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Angry Tomato
Junior User
Originally Posted by wicked 2018
My truck seems to brake like stock with my 37's. Can you adjust your shocks to help with any nose dive? Did you put on SS lines? Possibly its the SS lines I put on - then I gave all 4 corners a pressure bleed. Tight confident feeling pedal.

Putting 37's on is not that much more tire or weight than the stock setup - these truck can handle it. Hell, when I tow 10K I can barely feel that behind me. If you are feeling that much of poor braking, I would look at other things possibly. I would start with braided lines - I went with Carli.

Using a bleeder like this makes it a brainless one person, 10 min job: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6SL2W

I have definitely not got a tight confident pedal. In fact, on stopping the truck seems like its creaking at a dead stop to maintain the wheels in a stopped position.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Tricon
I have 35s, not 37s, but I've made 2 panic stops where I really didn't think this 8k lbs beast was going to stop and she did. Took me a while to get used to the brakes over my last truck, but boy do they stop when you need them to.
I have 35's too and I've had a few panic stops. One in particular I needed to moderate pedal to allow room behind and in front of me and I was amazed at how well the stock pads worked.
I now keep spare skivvies under the seat....

Quick Reply: Upgrading brakes ideas?