2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Connect WAZE by Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:18 PM
2019er
Laughing Gas
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
I wish I could rip out the useless NAV and replace with Waze or Google Maps. On board nav can't find it's *** with both hands. 1990s tech in a 2019 vehicle is lame.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019er
I wish I could rip out the useless NAV and replace with Waze or Google Maps. On board nav can't find it's *** with both hands. 1990s tech in a 2019 vehicle is lame.
I don't know why people pay for nav anymore, they are outdated before you even sign on the dotted line. Plug your phone in and you get massively more recent maps, real time traffic, cop locations, road hazards, better routing based on traffic, gas prices near you, better POIs. You can download the maps to your phone so you don't even need a 4G connection. OEM nav makes zero sense, especially for the price.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:55 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
I don't know why people pay for nav anymore, they are outdated before you even sign on the dotted line. Plug your phone in and you get massively more recent maps, real time traffic, cop locations, road hazards, better routing based on traffic, gas prices near you, better POIs. You can download the maps to your phone so you don't even need a 4G connection. OEM nav makes zero sense, especially for the price.
Sometimes in order to get a specific trim level or feature, factory navigation is included in said package and it can`t be deleted so having a choice to pay for it or not goes out the window.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sometimes in order to get a specific trim level or feature, factory navigation is included in said package and it can`t be deleted so having a choice to pay for it or not goes out the window.
True, it seems like a lot of guys here special order, but I never thought about it being required for certain packages.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 AM
mixer316
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waze for SYNC3 with Android

Does anyone know when Ford will update SYNC3 to use Waze on my Samsung S8.
My vehicle is a 2017 F250 Lariat SCREW.
Thanks. Jim D.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 AM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Originally Posted by mixer316
Thanks. Jim D.
mine already does, your phone needs to be connected via usb to use.
also, I bought a 17 and saw that sync hadn’t been updated since it was manufactured. Older versions didn’t work, your sync may need an update.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
In a word "Wife". On my Ram I didn't bother getting nav, because I already had an aftermarket navhead unit (Pioneer AVIC-Z1) that was going in (and did go in). 5 years later with the Ram (and about 12 years with that navunit) the head unit finally died, so instead of springing for a whole new nav unit, I went with a Carplay unit instead. It worked great when I was the one driving, but when we were out camping if she needed to go somewhere without me, she'd have to take my iPhone with her to get any navigation. After one particular incident that resulted in a taxi ride back from the hospital, she insisted that the new vehicle had onboard nav for her so she didn't have to deal with my phone. It came in my Lariat Ultimate Package so it wasn't a separate add-on for me, but otherwise, I would have added it, and did when I was doing my comparison shopping.

Thanks. Jim D.
I'm pretty sure Sync3 already supports Waze. If I recall though, I believe you would need to disable Android Auto or something like that so that it uses AppLink instead. This link might provide more information:

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...ith-sync3.html

Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Thanks. Jim D.
I think you have a phone problem.
Time for an update.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kaadk
In a word "Wife". On my Ram I didn't bother getting nav, because I already had an aftermarket navhead unit (Pioneer AVIC-Z1) that was going in (and did go in). 5 years later with the Ram (and about 12 years with that navunit) the head unit finally died, so I instead of springing for a whole new nav unit, I went with a Carplay unit instead. It worked great when I was the one driving, but when we were out camping if she needed to go somewhere without me, she'd have to take my iPhone with her to get any navigation. After one particular incident that resulted in a taxi ride back from the hospital, she insisted that the new vehicle had onboard nav for her so she didn't have to deal with my phone. It came in my Lariat Ultimate Package so it wasn't a separate add-on for me, but otherwise, I would have added it, and did when I was doing my comparison shopping.

I'm pretty sure Sync3 already supports Waze. If I recall though, I believe you would need to disable Android Auto or something like that so that it uses AppLink instead. This link might provide more information:

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...ith-sync3.html
LOL.....How about buying her a new iPhone of her own.....that way she doesn`t have to use your phone and the both of you will be covered for navigation regardless of the driver.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:48 AM
catrasca
Senior User
LOL.....How about buying her a new iPhone of her own.....that way she doesn`t have to use your phone and the both of you will be covered for navigation regardless of the driver.
I was thinking the same thing throughout the whole story... 😂😂😂

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Thinking of going that way for her next phone, when it comes due for it's upgrade. But regardless, it already has the Nav built in, so she's more likely to use that anyways vs having to plug her phone in.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kaadk
Thinking of going that way for her next phone, when it comes due for it's upgrade. But regardless, it already has the Nav built in, so she's more likely to use that anyways vs having to plug her phone in.
Totally understandable.

I`ve never had a problem with the factory navigation leading me in the wrong direction but keep this in mind.

The maps in the factory navigation system date back to 2015 and they are not updated as often like our cell phones.
Also, map updates for the factory navigation system are not controlled by Ford and when they become available, we have to pay for them....... $149.00.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Totally understandable.

I`ve never had a problem with the factory navigation leading me in the wrong direction but keep this in mind.

The maps in the factory navigation system date back to 2015 and they are not updated as often like our cell phones.
Also, map updates for the factory navigation system are not controlled by Ford and when they become available, we have to pay for them....... $149.00.
You're talking to a guy who ran an aftermarket nav unit for 12 years. I know all about outdated maps and paying for upgrades.

So far, the Ford Nav hasn't really lead me wrong either, but when I'm towing the fiver, I back it up with Co-Pilot RV on my phone, if the two disagree then I stop to consider their respective suggestions, and usually defer to the Co-Pilot despite nothing on the Ford Nav indicating a bad path. I just wish Co-Pilot would update to be CarPlay compatible, now that Apple supports that option, so I could run it in the dash vs having the wife constantly checking the phone when I don't hear the same audible directions from both.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:09 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you guys plug in your phone, it will default to Maps on an iPhone or appropriate on a samsung. If you want to shut off the Maps, just tell it in settings to do phone and text only, use existing Nav. If you want to get back to the "home screen" with Maps, Phone, Radio on one screen double tap on/off button it will come back to home. Hit nav, it will go to that screen ect.

Update your phone, update Nav/sync 3, update software. Waze doesn't do me much good, I use both Maps and Nav, to remote, around here, not enough data. Wish I had the police locations, traffic data, road hazards for sure.....

Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
One big reason I wanted the OEM nav is so I wouldn't have devices and cords and stuff all over the place. My old Nuvi is great, but it bounces around on the dash. The iPhone (and other phones) require you to plug in and find a place to put it. And other reasons. The built-in nav is just there. Out of the way.

Now, that being said, I also see the arguments for other than OEM nav. I have used both. I have had issues with both. So for me, it's a wash. I have not had any major problems with my OEM nav (on a recent trip from Houston to south Florida it worked flawlessly), but I have had some hiccups that were quite annoying. No rhyme or reason, and probably couldn't duplicate them now. But they were annoying. And yes, the updating of OEM is I suppose one major annoyance.

But in the end, to each his own, and onward and upward. And stuff.

Quick Reply: Connect WAZE by Bluetooth?