Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Connect WAZE by Bluetooth? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565708-connect-waze-by-bluetooth.html)

BillRes2 12-15-2018 11:47 AM

Connect WAZE by Bluetooth?

I would like to connect my android Pixel phone 2 to our 2019 Lariat by Bluetooth. I have found numerous references for doing it by USB but none by Bluetooth. The manual in this regard is vague and without details. Is this possible?
Thanks
Bill

dchjort 12-15-2018 12:56 PM

I don't think you can connect with Bluetooth for WAZE you have to use USB , Bluetooth is mostly for the phone functions and USB for the rest

ssunit1 12-15-2018 01:50 PM

If you have an Iphone just plug it in and it will come up automatically. Only down side is you will only see the Iphone apps, not all of them but a few, and you can't go back to the other screens unless you unplug. Or at least I haven't figured out how to do it with out disconnecting.

Tricon 12-15-2018 02:20 PM

You have to plug it in for video transmission. Only audio can go over Bluetooth.

Good thing with Android auto is you can easily switch back and forth between sync and your apps, unlike iOS.

sdetweil 12-15-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by BillRes2 (Post 18362580)
I would like to connect my android Pixel phone 2 to our 2019 Lariat by Bluetooth. I have found numerous references for doing it by USB but none by Bluetooth. The manual in this regard is vague and without details. Is this possible?
Thanks
Bill

what do you mean connect waze by bluetooth? I connect my phone via bluetooth and can speak the location via the car mic.. and hear the directions via the car speakers.. (same for google maps, and mapquest)

rashers 12-15-2018 07:23 PM

AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay require a cable in any car to run. The quantity of bandwidth needed to drive a display from the phone isn't possible over current Bluetooth. Google did release a version of Android Auto in 2018 that will work over wifi but very few manufacturers support it - think years out.

In short - think Bluetooth for cell phone calls, texts and streamed media to Ford Sync 3 standard screens. You have to connect a cable in the USB ports under the screen for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work.

Like in most cars, you can play the audio output of almost any phone app over Bluetooth. For the truck, just turn on the Ford Sync 3 audio and set your phone as the source (assuming it's paired at this point). This has nothing to do with Waze but will of course work for audio directions if that's what you want.

Hopefully that covers all angles in one post.

JeepPuller 12-16-2018 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 18362792)
You have to plug it in for video transmission. Only audio can go over Bluetooth.

Good thing with Android auto is you can easily switch back and forth between sync and your apps, unlike iOS.

I'm pretty sure I was able to switch back to Sync from Apple CarPlay. I'll check later today to confirm.

PatsfanTN 12-16-2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JeepPuller (Post 18363760)
I'm pretty sure I was able to switch back to Sync from Apple CarPlay. I'll check later today to confirm.

yes you can, there is a Sync icon when using Apple CarPlay. Easy to switch back and forth.

Tricon 12-16-2018 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeepPuller (Post 18363760)

I don't have an iPhone, just know that others complained about it not being there for a long time.

traveldawg 12-16-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BillRes2 (Post 18362580)
Thanks
Bill

Bill, in a word - YES. Yes you can connect WAZE via Bluetooth.

On my WAZE (on an iPhone) there is a setting (in WAZE - NOT Sycn3) under the Advanced setting in the app to "Play as bluetooth phone call".

That way I get to play my Sirius/XM via Ford's stock system, get WAZE updates via the Ford speakers (via Bluetooth to Sync3), and get phone calls via Sync3.

I don't use a cable. I don't want Car Play.

btw.... You can do the same with Google Maps. At least in IOS.... Go to settings, Navigation and set "Play as Bluetooth phone call".

You will notice on the Sync3 screen that it looks like a phone call coming in when WAZE (or Google Maps) makes an announcement, but I hardly notice that and it only lasts the duration of the announcement.

Problem solved??

briangp 12-16-2018 05:51 PM

Waze over Bluetooth is only an iPhone option. Not android. Sorry.

Tricon 12-16-2018 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by briangp (Post 18364592)
Waze over Bluetooth is only an iPhone option. Not android. Sorry.

You can see your Waze screen on the Sync 8" monitor, over Bluetooth? Sorry, that's just not physically possible.

Anyone can hear Waze on their stereo over Bluetooth, that's been around for a decade or so... Nothing special there. It works on Android, iOS, blackberry, basically any phone out there.

JeepPuller 12-17-2018 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 18364599)
You can see your Waze screen on the Sync 8" monitor, over Bluetooth? Sorry, that's just not physically possible.

Anyone can hear Waze on their stereo over Bluetooth, that's been around for a decade or so... Nothing special there. It works on Android, iOS, blackberry, basically any phone out there.

Truth. This is what I did on my 2011 F250.

traveldawg 12-18-2018 06:15 PM

Is it maybe that to hear WAZE from an Android phone the phone has to be connected via Bluetooth as the Sync source thus rendering other audio sources unavailable (like Sirius/XM, Radio, etc.)?

Is that maybe why I set up WAZE to connect as a bluetooth phone call (thus only interrupting the selected audio source like Sirius/XM or the radio)?

honestly - I don't remember. But I know that until I found the 'connect as bluetooth phone call' I didn't like my choices.

BillRes2 12-19-2018 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by rashers (Post 18363218)
AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay require a cable in any car to run. The quantity of bandwidth needed to drive a display from the phone isn't possible over current Bluetooth. Google did release a version of Android Auto in 2018 that will work over wifi but very few manufacturers support it - think years out.

In short - think Bluetooth for cell phone calls, texts and streamed media to Ford Sync 3 standard screens. You have to connect a cable in the USB ports under the screen for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work.

Like in most cars, you can play the audio output of almost any phone app over Bluetooth. For the truck, just turn on the Ford Sync 3 audio and set your phone as the source (assuming it's paired at this point). This has nothing to do with Waze but will of course work for audio directions if that's what you want.

Hopefully that covers all angles in one post.

Thank you so much for your detailed analysis of my request for information. Everything else seems to work by Bluetooth so I had just assumedly thought Waze would do so. I had not considered the bandwidth issue. I have not yet had a chance to try this out, but a YouTube search disclosed several videos on how to connect by USB. It doesn't seem too complicated.
regards
Bill