1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Getting close to injector replacement time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:03 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I don't recommend Full Force or Swamps.
I will add P.I.S. to that list also. Since the company was sold to Gray's Diesel they are off my Christmas list!

Old 12-17-2018, 03:25 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Surprised someone mentioned to stay away from Swamps? I've never heard anything but good about their injectors on the net or otherwise. I know Brian at BTS talked highly of them - this was a few years ago though. They have probably been doing it longer than anyone.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Surprised someone mentioned to stay away from Swamps? I've never heard anything but good about their injectors on the net or otherwise. I know Brian at BTS talked highly of them - this was a few years ago though. They have probably been doing it longer than anyone.
ANY REBUILT injector is hit and miss as no rebuild is a remanufacture. I would trust only NEW Alliant ! If you want to modify, start with NEW Alliant injectors and an aftermarket outfit that you trust to thoroughly bench test flow and balance.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Horseman
ANY REBUILT injector is hit and miss as no rebuild is a remanufacture. I would trust only NEW Alliant ! If you want to modify, start with NEW Alliant injectors and an aftermarket outfit that you trust to thoroughly bench test flow and balance.
That would get pretty darn pricey really quick. It would almost be paying twice for injectors. Rosewood has the rep he does for a reason. But yes, for me, I am happy with my power levels. It would only be new Alliants if/when I have to get new ones. Until then, I will shim and do o-rings first.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
And on the other hand @Tugly , last I recall, recommends Full Force.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes... Ryan Casserly at Full Force diesel is my guy. No matter who you choose, you are dealing with small parts with a lot of wear. Rebuilding is not remanufacturing - it's the art and science of salvaging all you can and replacing what you must. All this while making a reliable affordable product and a living at the same time. It's not just who does the best, a few are on par with each other. What matters is when things don't go as planned, does the rebuilder have your back? I can thunder out a most resounding "Yup".

I opted out of used, not because anything Ryan said or did... but because my injectors had a 1/4 million miles on them and they were not likely to be as robust after a rebuild. I wanted at least 300K miles out of my next sticks with proper care and feeding - and I didn't believe installing used parts would get me there.

I'm one of the very few people that tried rebuilds, then yanked 'em and put in new. I'm here to tell you... there is a difference. There was no difference in performance, it was the sound - they sound "new-ish". Snappy. It's not unlike getting that new car smell when you don't buy used - it's an intangible benefit, but there it is.

Meanwhile, back at the wallet... it's a hit to go new - but so is doing this more than once in the lifetime of your rig. Who's to say we can still get new on the next round? What if all that's left are injectors with one or two rebuilds in their jaded past? If I am ever forced into that situation (which I doubt the truck will survive that long), I'd use my pristine cores.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Shawn.54
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some time after the new year I will try the shim kit waiting now for time and weather to do a cold buzz test if I can figure that on my torque pro.
shawn

Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I am reading this correctly, this company sells NEW Alliant injectors with bigger nozzles installed.

7-3fordInjectors

Wish I had found this before I bought mine from UDP. Not that mine are bad, but new is always better than reman.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:58 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I won't waste the space to quote Tugly but a lot of my reasoning is the same. I've read it in other threads and to sum up what Tugly said...buy once, cry once. While my sticks might have put me one PMS mod too far I do not regret the path I chose. Are new more expensive...yes. With all of the issues I had (and currently have) I have had zero product issues directly attributed to to the physical injectors. You are already making an investment and new was the only option for me. I don't like potentially spending every weekend with the valve covers off.

Originally Posted by beef ****
If I am reading this correctly, this company sells NEW Alliant injectors with bigger nozzles installed.

7-3fordInjectors

Wish I had found this before I bought mine from UDP. Not that mine are bad, but new is always better than reman.
AFAIK all the reputable vendors we discuss around here all use Alliant injectors for their new products (stock or modified). One of the reasons I chose my injectors is that the only modification was the nozzle. Other than that they were brand new Alliant AC code injectors.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie

Whatever you do, I suggest going with new injectors. I fought a year long battle trying to get my truck to idle right with them - and I'm not the only one that has had to do that. First started as a poppet seazing in place and then the ol girl started knocking occasionally. It turned into a P1316 that I was chalking up to being "one of those things" until it finally disappeared with my new Stage 2 injectors. Long story short, one injector wasn't firing as it was supposed to and the IDM picked up the imbalance - it just wasn't real sure what was imbalanced. I went in and worked on the injectors about eight times within six months.

I!
This has been my exact experience but I have been dealing with it for several years now. I purchased mine from UDP so "lifetime warranty". He has sent me 18 injectors because none have idled correctly. This last set has been okay, but in the winter I get a code just like you said above. I havent had time to dig into it, but wish I would have gone with new vs rebuilt.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts

7-3fordInjectors

If their prices of new AD Alliant injectors is in line with their listed prices of new AC Alliant injectors, they would be my go to place for purchasing when the time comes. Of course I would hit up RiffRaff to see if they wanted to price match because I prefer to do business with Clay, but cannot ignore a good discount on the same parts. Hopefully though, I will not ever need injectors, we will see...

Originally Posted by JT250
This has been my exact experience but I have been dealing with it for several years now. I purchased mine from UDP so "lifetime warranty". He has sent me 18 injectors because none have idled correctly. This last set has been okay, but in the winter I get a code just like you said above. I havent had time to dig into it, but wish I would have gone with new vs rebuilt.
Ya, sounds like a nightmare. No matter how good you get at removing valve covers and injectors, it is still a pain in the *** and knuckle busting. You sir have my sympathy and admiration.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts

7-3fordInjectors

Thats a great find, and are the cheapest price I've seen on new AC.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Fwiw DieselOrings price on new Alliant AD is $228, same as that place is selling AC’s for and DieselOrings is freakin awesome .

Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
How have I not seen these prices before... I need to refocus my Google-Fu...

Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
How have I not seen these prices before... I need to refocus my Google-Fu...

dont feel bad, I only found D-O after my shop charged me $350 for a reman Motorcraft injector .....that failed in 15k miles..... that was the last time I had a shop work on my Excursion.

Quick Reply: Getting close to injector replacement time.