Getting close to injector replacement time. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Getting close to injector replacement time.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Shawn.54 is starting off with a positive reputation.

This past April I jumped into the diesel world when I purchased a 2002 F350 DRW CC LB of course a 7.3 with ZF6. It has 198375 on it and I figured it would be coming to look into injectors soon. The truck starts easily on cold days so far 04 degrees is the coldest we have had so far but idles a little rough for a minute or so then itís fine I get a puff of smoke at start up that clears up within a few seconds.
I want to do my homework on injectors and the web is full of options to many to be exact. None cheap but some way out of the realm of what I want to spend.
Iím not planning to race, pull or roll coal just pull my camper pull my dump trailer full of firewood and drive to and from work.
I have made a few mods ebpv deleted new bellowed up pipes new cac boots egt gauge boost gauge and PHP Hydra which I only programmed up to 80 performance 80 daily driver and 65 tow nothing higher and all lower plus high idle for the cold days.
i plan on 4Ē exhaust and down pipe and maybe 6637 filter.
What I think I want is injectors that will support the +80 and them to be reliable I only want to do this once.
i donít know thing one about injectors and donít want to tie up a bunch of cash in them for potential that I will never use need.
This is not a now thing but a I know that itís coming at some point so I want to know what Iím looking for when that time arrives.
thanks
shawn

Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 PM
JT250
Posting Guru
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sounds to me like you still have a lot of time left on those stock injectors. Also sounds like you should stick to stock when replacing them since you are only hauling loads locally. Don't over complicate things like many of us have done here.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
That was my exact thoughts to stick to stock but whoís a reputable injector rebuilder or remanufactuer I donít want to buy junk.
shoud have stated that in original post just got to long winded I guess.
shawn

Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
I wanted more power and have the Transmission and have some of the other mods to support bigger injectors but ultimately decided that I didn’t want to switch out my rods to forged units so I went with brand new stock Alliant injectors. ( I had a reman motorcraft fa in 15k miles )

Old 12-14-2018, 01:05 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
thanks that was informative I did a search for something like that and got everything but what I wanted
shawn

Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by JT250 View Post
Sounds to me like you still have a lot of time left on those stock injectors. Also sounds like you should stick to stock when replacing them since you are only hauling loads locally. Don't over complicate things like many of us have done here.
Some of the best advice anyone can give you and should be heeded by anyone thinking about upgrading injectors.

I was dead set on 160/80 injectors, but then realized by installing an SXE turbo (which I was going to upgrade the turbo anyway) that I could keep my OEM injectors for the rest of their life. That may be 10K miles or 100K miles, or more... Once I need to replace injectors, I will more than likely stick with stock AD injectors and keep is simple since the SXE picks up all of the slack I had which I thought was under-performing injectors.

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
I wanted more power and have the Transmission and have some of the other mods to support bigger injectors but ultimately decided that I didn’t want to switch out my rods to forged units so I went with brand new stock Alliant injectors. ( I had a reman motorcraft fa in 15k miles )
Alliant injectors like Pirate4x4 said are the best you can get.

Originally Posted by Shawn.54 View Post
That was my exact thoughts to stick to stock but who’s a reputable injector rebuilder or remanufactuer I don’t want to buy junk.
shoud have stated that in original post just got to long winded I guess.
shawn
If you are looking for a rebuilder, then Rosewood diesel with YOUR OWN injectors sent in for rebuilt is the only way I would consider remanufactured injectors. Other than that, new injectors is the only option for me.

Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
How far we all have come is amazing. I can remember sitting in front of my screen scratching my head and being so confused my eyes were going different directions.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:21 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do a Buzz Test before you crank the truck on a cold morning.... and a Cylinder Contribution Test at some point.

Chances are you only need to re-set the gaps on your Poppet valves, which is just pulling the solenoids off top of injectors. A day's work and about $100 for kit.
Or spend the $$$$ on new injectors, if your pockets are deep.

My truck is just a daily driver and I rarely pull a load.... but it gets 17-17.5 mpg with my 18 year old injectors....with almost 480,000 miles.
New O-rings.... and re-setting gaps on injectors is all I've ever done.

But then.... when it hits 500,000, I am planning to replace injectors...

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Shawn.54
Senior User
Originally Posted by MoBill122 View Post
Do a Buzz Test before you crank the truck on a cold morning.... and a Cylinder Contribution Test at some point.

Chances are you only need to re-set the gaps on your Poppet valves, which is just pulling the solenoids off top of injectors. A day's work and about $100 for kit.
Or spend the $$$$ on new injectors, if your pockets are deep.

My truck is just a daily driver and I rarely pull a load.... but it gets 17-17.5 mpg with my 18 year old injectors....with almost 480,000 miles.
New O-rings.... and re-setting gaps on injectors is all I've ever done.

But then.... when it hits 500,000, I am planning to replace injectors...
Iím very interested in the shim kit from truck rental I may have to do this.
Shawn
ps any one else try this?

Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
This is one shim kit that someone used recently and good success with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERNATION...s/191606953289

I have never done it, but many, many have and the results are usually good. As MoBill122 said, you can tell if the injector/solenoid needs to be shimmed with a buzz test when you have the truck in a KOEO state.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:41 PM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
I shimmed my injectors a while back (went to 160/80 single shots a year ago now). Why did I shim them back then? I had them out doing O-rings, all sounded healthy with a buzz test BUT I used all my oil in about thirty miles...

When I shimmed my injectors I had roughly 365k or so on the truck (guesstimation there, at 390k now) and all were about 0.001-0.002" worth of clearance from the injector body to the bottom of the armature plate - spec is 0.004". Truck got decent mileage after, 17 in the city (same as before) and 19.5 on the highway (about a 1.5 bump). While shimming will definitely get your injectors back into spec, you are prolonging the inevitable with it.

Stock injectors only have about 60HP or so that can be squeezed out of them - they are 140cc injectors, and can only flow so much (140/0 in the nomeclature you'll see tossed around. That refers to 140cc fuel flow over 100 injections (correct me if I'm wrong on that one) and 0% (or stock sized) nozzle). A lot of the 'seat of your pants' feel I've seen is the throttle curve being more aggressive as it starts out on the higher horse tunes.

Whatever you do, I suggest going with new injectors. I fought a year long battle trying to get my truck to idle right with them - and I'm not the only one that has had to do that. First started as a poppet seazing in place and then the ol girl started knocking occasionally. It turned into a P1316 that I was chalking up to being "one of those things" until it finally disappeared with my new Stage 2 injectors. Long story short, one injector wasn't firing as it was supposed to and the IDM picked up the imbalance - it just wasn't real sure what was imbalanced. I went in and worked on the injectors about eight times within six months.

I've got 10k on my new 160/80s from Full Force Diesel and thoroughly enjoy them - highest I've ever seen EGTs was 950įF or so while getting on it uphill grossing 21k. While by no means am I saying go straight for the 160/80s, but I'd start putting some money aside for injectors and what not for when the time comes. That way you can swap them in and go on for another couple hundred thousand.

Who knows, you may get another 200k out of those stock ones without needing to shim them!

Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
I concur with Alliants or Rosewoods for a rebuild IF you don't want new. I don't recommend Full Force or Swamps. There are too many hit/miss threads with those companies.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
I dont no crap about injectors either and also, i want to stay stock too. Having a company rebuild my AD's would only be sent to Rosewood whom ive learned over the last 8yrs being around here, is the place and their rep proceeds them. Now, you having the hydra, i wouldnt think twice but to step up to the ford oem AC injectors. Single shot and gives a few extra ponies in doing so with your hydra being able to drive/calibrate the truck with...

Old 12-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Shawn.54
Senior User
There is a lot I donít know about injectors but thanks to FTE Iím learning more. I donít have the cash now for injectors now but wanted to start getting a little knowledge on the subject and Iím getting a education thanks guys.
shawn

Old 12-16-2018, 04:05 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
I dont no crap about injectors either and also, i want to stay stock too. Having a company rebuild my AD's would only be sent to Rosewood whom ive learned over the last 8yrs being around here, is the place and their rep proceeds them. Now, you having the hydra, i wouldnt think twice but to step up to the ford oem AC injectors. Single shot and gives a few extra ponies in doing so with your hydra being able to drive/calibrate the truck with...

just for the point of clarity.

Ford OEM injectors are and were made by Alliant,
Motorcraft aka your Ford dealer, does not sell brand new injectors they sell rebuilt injectors. ( I had one fail in 15k miles )
if you want a brand new AD,AE or AC injector then you need to buy a Alliant From the vendor of your choice such as RiffRaff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.