Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glow Plug Relay Issues

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM
triplehexcavating
New User
triplehexcavating is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glow Plug Relay Issues

I have a 2002 F350 301,000 miles on it that has been having trouble starting in the cold but if I cross the big lugs on the glow plug relay it fires up just fine. So I ordered a new relay and put it on today and after I put it on I went ahead and was servicing the truck. While servicing the truck I smelled something hot and it was the new relay. So I immediately unhooked the battery, then removed all the wires from the relay and I tested each wire and everything seemed right the large red wire had 13 volt, the small red wire had 13 volt and when I turned the ignition on the small orange wire grounded for almost 2 minutes then it cut out. So I rehooked them all up and turned the key on and the relay wasn't energizing across like it should. Then out of no where my AC clutch starts clicking like it was trying to engage and now inside the cab there is an intermittent clicking and the truck wont start now. I messed with it all afternoon and its almost like I fried something in the truck but I cannot find any wires that look burnt or shorted out and I wasn't having any of these problems before I tried to replace the relay. Ive had several 7.3 trucks and have replaced relays in the past with no problems. Any idea's?? Thanks

Old 12-11-2018, 07:18 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
It sounds to me like the new relay was latched and drew your batteries down in a hurry. Low batteries will result is relays clicking/chattering. Charge them puppies up and go from there

Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Did you buy an actual GPR or a starter relay? If you test fuses be sure to test them with a non LED test light.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 PM
burnthelight88
Elder User
burnthelight88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What other "servicing" were you doing to the truck? You sure the two are absolutely related? Drained battery is a good guess, but I always get skeptical when people make multiple changes to their truck at once. I stopped doing multiple jobs at once long ago. Had too many times where I thought, "Well I just did 10 new things on my engine today and now it won't start, where do I even begin?"

Old 12-12-2018, 11:03 AM
triplehexcavating
New User
Well I replaced the Oil Cooler, then a new water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing. But really the only electrical work I did was on the GPR. But I kept searching last night and located the chattering relay in the cab and it was the Injector Driver Module relay. So I did a search on it and turns out if the F22 fuse is blow which looks like for the PCM it causes that relay to click rapidly. So I replaced that fuse and everything is working again except I still cannot get my new GPR to work. I checked all the wires and everything checks out good. On one big post I have my 12v feed wire, then other big post I have the wire that goes to the glow plugs, then I have my small red wire that feeds 12v when I turn on the ignition, then my small orange wire grounds for about a minute and a half when I turn on the key. So I hook them all up and it doesnt feed 12v across when I turn the key on to the other big post. So after doing some testing I left all wires hooked up except I unhooked the small orange ground wire. After removing it with the key off the small lug it hooks to is grounded already with no wire attached to it... that cant be right can it? Also noticed that when I have all the wires unhooked and the relay in my hand I can put 12v to one small lug and touch the case of relay to ground and the relay clicks so the case is grounding allowing the relay to close. Are these relays supposed to do that like they are case grounded? I tried also leaving the big wires where they are and reversing the small 2 wires and when I turn the key on it drops the entire truck voltage down to like 8 volts you can tell its putting a hard strain on the batteries. Both batteries are newer and both test good and I have had no problems with low voltage or battery issues leading up to working on the truck this week. I am starting to think they sent me the wrong relay or maybe a bad one? Thanks for the replies and info I really appreciate it.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Here’s a picture of how everything hooks up with power and grounds. When the GPR activates you’re gonna see voltage drop to 10.9-11.3 ish with good batteries and all 8 GP’s working. Just because a battery is “newer” doesn’t mean it’s good. I would have them both load tested then you’ll KNOW if they’re good and won’t drive yourself crazy chasing your tail.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM
triplehexcavating
New User
Ok thanks for the picture, I charged the batteries up and then let them sit for a day then when I got up the next morning I load tested them and they are both showing good so I think I can cross that off the list. What I am trying to figure out now is why PCM ground post is grounded with no wire even hooked to it? I can't imagine how or why it would be grounded already with no ground wire hooked to it. Thanks

Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 PM
johnsps250
Senior User
johnsps250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.johnsps250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I apologize if you already checked this, but are you sure it is an actual glow plug relay?
Check to see if one of the small posts on the relay has continuity to the relay base where it bolts to the bracket. This would explain the ground condition you are seeing. Just a thought.
EDIT: Just re-read your earlier post, I don't think the relay should ground through the base. Either its the wrong relay or something has failed on it causing your grounding problem. 8 volts with the relay closed and the glow plugs active also sounds like low or bad batteries.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by triplehexcavating View Post
Ok thanks for the picture, I charged the batteries up and then let them sit for a day then when I got up the next morning I load tested them and they are both showing good so I think I can cross that off the list. What I am trying to figure out now is why PCM ground post is grounded with no wire even hooked to it? I can't imagine how or why it would be grounded already with no ground wire hooked to it. Thanks
You actually LOAD tested them (individually) not just charged them and checked voltage? You never answered me earlier, is it an actual GPR not just a relay?

Old 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
In my opinion the relay is either the wrong part or it is faulty.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Those are easy to screw up, I ordered an Alliant GPR and it had the exact same stamps and marks on it as a regular relay. It came from a reputable source but was dead in a month.

It's best to just get the "Stancor" relay and never look back.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by triplehexcavating View Post
After removing it with the key off the small lug it hooks to is grounded already with no wire attached to it... that cant be right can it? Also noticed that when I have all the wires unhooked and the relay in my hand I can put 12v to one small lug and touch the case of relay to ground and the relay clicks so the case is grounding allowing the relay to close. Are these relays supposed to do that like they are case grounded? .
No they are not and there is your problem. The mounting bracket is supposed to be isolated from the relay, just to be sure I went out to the shop and grabbed a working GPR and connected 12V to one of the small terminals and touched the bracket to ground, no latch. Put 12 V to the other small terminal and tried again. No latch. Then I touched the other small terminal to ground and it latched. Reversed the + and - and touched the small terminal to ground again and it latched. In no case did it ever latch by grounding the mounting plate, and a DOM shows zero continuity between any terminal and the mounting plate.
You either got a defective relay or the wrong one and that is the cause of all your issues.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
The relay should not self ground. That 1 you got is FUBAR...hit up NAPA, get the 22.00-gpr109 and be done..

Old 01-22-2019, 04:36 PM
triplehexcavating
New User
Ended up being I got a defective GPR it was case grounded causing all my problems. I went to NAPA and got another one and it fixed it, fast forward to today and the new relay stuck on again draining my batteries. So I did some research and I think my batteries are weak causing low voltage/high amperage and that is what is causing my GPR's to stick and burn up. So went and bought 2 new batteries and another GPR. Replaced the batteries and for some stupid reason I hooked them up before I changed the new GPR and when I was pulling off the small orange wire I accidentally touched it to the Big red power feed wire and got a small arc. Never thought much about it i finished installing the new relay and now the truck will not start, it cranks but no smoke from the exhaust it isn't even trying to fire. Any idea's what I could have fried? I tested all the fuses under the dash and can't find any that are blown. I dunno if it makes a difference or not but my Tach also is not moving when I crank the truck over. It's a 2002 F350. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:05 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Did you test fuses under the hood? Iím not sure about the 2002 but typically the tach wonít move if the CPS is bad. I would test all the fuses with a test light. Slow down and focus on what youíre doing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.