Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick tires

Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Mattman81
New User
Mattman81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help me pick tires

Next on my to do list for the old ex.. new tires. I can't pick. To many choices. My EX. Is my 3rd car. So it does not get driven every day. So I don't need high milage tires. I tow my camper with it. Primary purpose. I use it to go hunting, so a little off road. Feilds and such. But it's 4x4. Drive it on the weekends and when needed. It has the Mich. LTX on them. They have some tread left. But there dated from 2012. And I think all the sitting has caused them to wear a little funny. I think there causing some vibration when I get over 70mph.
So would you go all seasson or all terrain?
DiscountT has that Wrangler UT AT. I was told it's a new tire. So not a lot of reviews. Have not been impressed with any of my previous Goodyear tires on anything.
I am starting to lean towards to Bridgestone REVO 3. Had the REVOs on my Silverado long time ago. Held up well.
Not oppose to American made coppers. But seems lots of people don't like them. Have a set on the wife's car and happy so far.
I don't need top of the line. Just want durability.
Input?

Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus

Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 AM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
I've always had solid results with Nittos. Your use is the same as mine and G2s have served well. Towed 10.5k weight trailer with them, get the job done in dirt and snow. Not loud or harsh. Look good too.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Don't forget to check out the tire review threads in the tech folder.

Stewart

Old 12-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Timberframer03
New User
Timberframer03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Timberframer03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just put a set of toyo all terrains on mine. E rated, great in the snow and nice looking.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Lance Helmert
Senior User
Lance Helmert has a good reputation on FTE.Lance Helmert has a good reputation on FTE.
We've got the Michelin m/s2 on our EX. They're great on snow and ice. They do pretty good off road also. It's gone in the woods and also pulled the neighbors 4wd tractor out.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM
carbon coupe
Posting Guru
carbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant futurecarbon coupe has a brilliant future
Coopers, AT3, you wont regret it.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 PM
ShelbyHauler
Senior User
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Stewart
I just took a look in there and found there is nothing newer than 1 year, most are 2 years since the last update.

I'll be looking for a new set soon. I do mostly summer driving down here in Florida, but will start towing my car in trailer up the east coast soon (hence the need for new tires). No off roading. Looking at my local BJ's tire store, here is a list of available types as of this posting date(entered specs for a 2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, Tire Results - 265/75R16 123R Load Range E):

Brand ------------ Type ---------------------- Total for 4 (less taxes and fees including $60 installation)
  • BFGoodrich - ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - $741.96
  • Bridgestone - DURAVIS R500 HD - $731.96
  • Bridgestone - DUELER H/T 685 - $763.96
  • Bridgestone - DUELER A/T REVO 3 - $767.96
  • Hankook - DYNAPRO HT RH12 (LT-METRIC) - $887.96
  • Bridgestone - DURAVIS M700 HD - $791.96
  • Goodyear - WRANGLER TRAILRUNNER AT LT - $859.96
  • Pirelli - SCORPION ATR - $887.96
  • Michelin - DEFENDER LTX M/S - $865.96
  • Cooper - DISCOVERER HT3 - $943.96
  • Toyo - OPEN COUNTRY A/T II - $971.96
  • Toyo - OPEN COUNTRY H/T - $975.96
  • Cooper - DISCOVERER A/TW - $1,059.96
  • Goodyear - WRANGLER SR-A - $1,139.96
  • Goodyear - WRANGLER ALL-TERRAIN ADVENTURE WITH KEVLAR - $1,315.96
Service includes: MAINTENANCE FOR LIFE OF THE TIRE: Tire Rotation, Balancing, Flat Repair, Inflation checks
PLUS: Road Hazzard Warranty

Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 AM
loganj01
Senior User
loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.
I think I'm going to try a set of Nexen Rodian AT tires next time. They're reasonably priced and the 35" are 12 ply. My wife's Kia came with a set of Nexen tires that went 90k before needing replacement.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Stewart
Originally Posted by loganj01 View Post
I think I'm going to try a set of Nexen Rodian AT tires next time. They're reasonably priced and the 35" are 12 ply. My wife's Kia came with a set of Nexen tires that went 90k before needing replacement.

Once you have some miles under your Rodian's be sure and update our tire review threads for the next guy.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM
SmackDaddy
Shade Tree Wrencher
SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Cooper STT Maxx if you want all terrains that wear VERY well and still play in mud, STT Pro if you want mud tires that wear great and grip a wet road very well.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Atc210
Senior User
Atc210 has a good reputation on FTE.Atc210 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have toyo open country’s now (35”) and regret getting them. They were great the first 10,000 miles, now will not stay balanced, are very loud with poor performance in the winter. I had the revo 2 in stock sized tire and loved them, at the time 35 x 20 size was not offered. If I could do it over again would get BFG AT. Unless the revo 3’s offered my tire size then would would have to decide between the 2.

Also, if your staying stock size ish, the Michilen AT’s are a very good tire for a street queen and perform well in winter conditions.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 AM
SmackDaddy
Shade Tree Wrencher
SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Atc210 View Post
I have toyo open countryís now (35Ē) and regret getting them. They were great the first 10,000 miles, now will not stay balanced, are very loud with poor performance in the winter. I had the revo 2 in stock sized tire and loved them, at the time 35 x 20 size was not offered. If I could do it over again would get BFG AT. Unless the revo 3ís offered my tire size then would would have to decide between the 2.

Also, if your staying stock size ish, the Michilen ATís are a very good tire for a street queen and perform well in winter conditions.
BFG ATís suck. If you like to replace tires after 20k then they are what you want.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
I am very happy with the Cooper Discoverer A/T3s I have on my (GMC) pickup. I'm almost decided on the Discoverer A/T3 XLT in 285/75-18 once the new springs give me the room I need.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Senior User
Vinny G-the EX man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have Bridgestone Revo II on mine, they are great in snow and wet weather and are quite on the highway. They have been on my Ex for three years and are still in great shape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.