4r75E swaps? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

4r75E swaps?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Rumble phish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
4r75E swaps?

I have a 2004 F-150 XLT 4x4 with a 5.4L 3V Triton and the 4r75E transmission. I just had a reman'd motor dropped in it from Fraser Engines. Everything under the hood is new or reman'd, from the AC condenser to the starter. Literally. Just got the truck back and she's running like a champ. That is until I put her in reverse. I felt the transmission slip. Revs camp up but it was moving backwards slowly at first, and then it picked up steam. So it looks like I'll need to get this transmission rebuilt, or drop a reman'd unit in.

Would I be able to upgrade this transmission to a heavier duty model? If so, which one (4r100)? Looking at several reman'd 4r75E's online, the going price varies between $1200 to $2300 (Ford). I'd probably be looking at a reman'd unit from Fraser, the same place I got the engine. Theirs runs $1700 with a $450 core charge. But it does come with one of the best warranties available (5 year/100,000 miles).

Old 12-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Putting anything except a 4R75E in this would be prohibitively expensive. You would need to modify the mount, both driveshafts, the wiring, and the computer.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Rumble phish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Putting anything except a 4R75E in this would be prohibitively expensive. You would need to modify the mount, both driveshafts, the wiring, and the computer.
​​​​​​
yeah, I know you are right. Just a passing thought...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.