Time for new shocks - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Time for new shocks

Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kcwolf200 View Post
I am considering getting the Ranchero 9000XL's. I've never installed shocks before. How hard are they to install?
Wrenches, sockets, maybe a floor or bottle jack and you're good to go. The rear shocks are really simple. The fronts are somewhat more challenging simply because of the angles. Taking off the front wheels.will help with access. Rear wheels do not need to come off at all.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:45 PM
undl8r
Junior User
undl8r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Installed Fox IPS

I had a set of Fox shocks installed today and the difference is incredible. However, after they removed the old OEM shocks we discovered how bad they were worn at 23K miles - easily compressible (10-15lbs of force) and no rebound, so my reference point is obviously skewed since i was basically riding on no shocks. i do a lot of dirt/gravel road travel and it is so less jarring than before and the rear axle got rid of it's slop/skittishness, feels completely like a different truck. i can tell that the off-road ride is better than when new but not sure on the firmness. on the highway/smooth road it is very comfortable and have no issue.

The only complaints I have is there is no dust boot (hopeful that Fox designed the shock accordingly) and they are a little pricey - got them for $125 each with holiday discount code at 3stage. The body is Aluminum so you don't have to worry about coating or corrosion.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:56 AM
RONMCHUGH
Senior User
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am considering getting the Ranchero 9000XL's. I've never installed shocks before. How hard are they to install?
I didn't use any jacks or remove any wheels . I turned the front wheels to allow more access to the mounting points . The top mount was the biggest challenge mostly because of the tools I had available . I believe there is a youtube vid on installing these shocks . Good luck and enjoy !!!!

Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Mrainv23
New User
Mrainv23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by gascan View Post
It is about time to replace the wonderful / high performance / long lasting "stock" shocks that came on my 2017 F-350 FX4. With my previous Super Duty I went with the Rancho XL9000's and was fairly happy - that was 6+ years ago. I am running a stock suspension/wheels/tires so what are good choices for shock replacements? Are the Rancho XL9000's still a good choice? I liked the adjustability of the XL9000's since this is my daily driver and I tow a heavy 5er.

Thanks!

I upgraded to the fox 2.0 performance reservoirs . The ride is incredible

Old 12-28-2018, 08:55 AM
wiresLV
New User
wiresLV is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just installed a set a couple of weeks ago. I'm consider myself at average handyman skill level and using my Harbor Freight tools it took a couple of hours to give an idea of what to expect.

I was able to install the fronts without removing the wheels. I cut the steering wheel all the way in one direction, did one shock, then cut it all of the way the other way and did the other shock. For the rears, I jacked up from under the receiver to give some extra room.

One tip that may save you some aggravation is to make sure the clamp-style bolts are super tight. I thought I had mine torqued down enough, but I had some new noises appear during my test drive after the installation. So I went back and tightened the bolts with a breaker bar to get more leverage and that cured the problem.

I'm happy with the upgrade. My OEMs had about 21,000 miles and one was leaking and three out of four had no gas in them. The 9000xl's are more physically substantial than the OEMs and the ride is better both unloaded and when towing.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:24 PM
kcwolf200
Junior User
kcwolf200 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok. You guys have convinced me. I'm ordering a set of the Rancho 9000XL's from Summit Racing tonight. For those that did it, how did you remove the adjustment **** to put grease in there and would you guys recommend doing that? Also, what number are you running front and rear unloaded and while towing? I've got the 6.7L and a 10k travel trailer that I pull during camping season.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I set mine to about 6 front and 4 rear when unloaded. With my travel trailer in tow, the rear is on 8 or 9. I have not greased the know. Rust isn't a problem where I live but corrosion due to what is used on the roads in the winter (Magnesium Chloride) is.

I tried a lower setting in front but that was too loose and bump steer was more pronounced.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:19 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ok. You guys have convinced me. I'm ordering a set of the Rancho 9000XL's from Summit Racing tonight. For those that did it, how did you remove the adjustment **** to put grease in there and would you guys recommend doing that? Also, what number are you running front and rear unloaded and while towing? I've got the 6.7L and a 10k travel trailer that I pull during camping season.
The **** assembly is held in by two allen head screws. That's the only tool required. Remove two screws, pull out assembly, install grease in cavity, reassemble. Easy-peasy. I do recommend using a grease that won't break down and leak oil all over the place.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:45 PM
jws24
Junior User
jws24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

Originally Posted by undl8r View Post
I also need new shocks but am having problems finding a set from Fox or Bilstein with OEM ride height. I am not too keen on Ranchos, but this is based on my experience with two other FX4 trucks. Half my driving is down moderately rough dirt roads that become treacherous with some precipitation (desert clay - other concern with Ranchos is the clay will work its way into the adjustment ****). Does anyone have other information on Fox/Bilsteins' availability (see list below)? Other considerations? (still would consider Ranchos if they can stand up to the 50% off-road driving and other brands i've come across but have no information on - KYB and Skyjacker). I would happily trade firmness/better on-road handling for a smoother/softer off-road ride.

Bilstein B8 5100 Series-Rear only 2"+lift
Bilstein B6 4600 - Front only, OEM height
FOX 2.0 Performance Series Smooth Body IFP Shocks - Front only, 2"+

Thx in advance.
I totally agree with you on the Rancho shocks. Go with Bilstein or Fox and you will be happy you did.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 PM
pesty3782
Freshman User
pesty3782 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fronts are on the rear just showed up at the door step...Rancho 9000XL. Front already feels much better cant wait to get the rears on tonight. The allen wrench is a 1/8 very easy to do. On the fronts all I did was turn the wheel and no issues at all putting the new shocks on.

Tony P.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 AM
pesty3782
Freshman User
pesty3782 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got the shocks on and went to pick up the 5th wheel yesterday....HUGE difference in ride....I have the fronts set at 6 and the rears at 7 right now for towing....Heading out on a 250 mile trip soon and will let you know how it goes.....So fair loaded or unloaded there is a big big difference!!!

Tony P.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 AM
undl8r
Junior User
undl8r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jws24 View Post

I totally agree with you on the Rancho shocks. Go with Bilstein or Fox and you will be happy you did.
Went with Fox an am loving it. Ironically, was planning on using Bilstein but they don't have an OEM height set of shocks available. The improvement on the Fox shocks were better than I got installing Bisteins on 2012 (same configured truck as my '17 but with FX4) a few years ago (those Ranchos were gone too with about 50K miles) so I am glad I got forced to use Fox. Worth the extra money, assuming no issues crop up from not having dust boot.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:50 PM
kcwolf200
Junior User
kcwolf200 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I got my Rancho 9000XLís today. Plan on installing them this weekend. I have a quick question. On the rears, should I have that black bushing on both ends? I only have it on one end, but they are both like that, so I assume thatís how it supposed to be.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Imadentguy
Senior User
Imadentguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I got my Rancho 9000XLís today. Plan on installing them this weekend. I have a quick question. On the rears, should I have that black bushing on both ends? I only have it on one end, but they are both like that, so I assume thatís how it supposed to be.

You need a steel sleeve running through that bushing. Sometimes a hardware kit will come with new shocks that have an assortment. Not sure about the ranchos though. You may be able to press your sleeves out of your OEM shocks but you need to make sure the OD is the same size as the bushing on the rancho shock. Iíd hit up the rancho rep on here and find out whats up. Heís a cool dude and hes all about helping people on here.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by undl8r View Post
Went with Fox an am loving it. Ironically, was planning on using Bilstein but they don't have an OEM height set of shocks available. The improvement on the Fox shocks were better than I got installing Bisteins on 2012 (same configured truck as my '17 but with FX4) a few years ago (those Ranchos were gone too with about 50K miles) so I am glad I got forced to use Fox. Worth the extra money, assuming no issues crop up from not having dust boot.
Your previous post about the FX4 shocks having zero rebound and very little compression unfortunately is just how those pieces of crap are. I took mine off at 2k miles and they were the same. They are just a junk shock and Ford/Rancho should be ashamed having their name on them and selling 50-100k trucks with them.

As far as the Fox's not having a boot, this is by design. Any higher end shock will not have a boot as its a really poor design in protecting a shock shaft. It traps dirt and condensation right where you don't want either. High end shocks like the Fox 2.0 have internal wipers that will protect the internals from dirt ingress. And the shafts are made of some amazing alloys that are about twice the sheer and impact strength of most other shocks out there, even Kings.

You made a good choice, money well spent and they should last you the life of the truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.