Idle issue nightmare - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Idle issue nightmare

Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Will Joyce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Idle issue nightmare

Yep its me again with a 87 302 ( think the engine is from a later year) new: IAC, TPS, IGNITION CONTROL MODULE,& ECM .
idles at 3000 rpms . didnt know about unplugging the PIP TO prperly adjust timing , but when I unplugged it ,Icouldnt get the distributer to turn after loosing the hold down bolt . Someone said the starter may not retract & still engaged in the flywheel .
Any help , ideas or any advive appreciated . Ive got a 351 sitting in my garage so maybe I should put that in . But Im afraid by using the same electronics ,I i would have the same problem ?

Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When you say unplug the pip do you mean the spout? If so, that could not have caused the high idle. Did it happened exactly when you unplugged it? If not what was happening at the start of the 3K idle? Were you replacing parts etc. Sandy

Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Da_Lariat_Chariot
Elder User
Da_Lariat_Chariot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you check the throttle cable and throttle body to see if either are sticking and causing that high idle? 3,000 RPM is REALLY high ...

Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 AM
joey2fords
Posting Guru
joey2fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joey2fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
a starter not retracting is not going to give you a high idle, so you can safely rule that out as the cause ( if it IS sticking you will hear some ugly noises, but it has nothing to do with idle speed).
soak the distributor base with penetrating oil overnight if you wish, but it too, is not likely to be causing this issue, so i wouldnt be too inclined to mess with it.
check for binding/sticking, as stated above. also, you have been doing a lot of stuff under the hood and may have snapped an extremely brittle 32 year-old vacuum line; check for vacuum leaks.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Yea spout is right .I was unsure what it was called . the idle speed didnt change with the spout plugged in or unplugged . when I replaced the ecm the idle was close to normal ,but still high 1500 rpms . But when I replaced the ignition control module ,I twisted the distributer a lot so I wouldnt have to take it out to get the bolts out, But at that time I didnt know when you mess with the distributer , you have to unplug the spout .So once I got the ICM hooke up I just moved the distributer back to where it was . So this time I was trying to do it right --unplug the spout to try & time it --but the distribbuter was frozen -- And I had just moved it a few weeks ago to get the ICM IN .

Old 12-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
yes I did --Also checked for vac. leaks

Old 12-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Would an engine out of proper timing cause it to idle that high ..Ive twisted the distributer on another vehicle ( timing by ear) & dont remember A big change in idle speed

Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think at this point it would be beneficial to run diagnostic codes and see if we can get some direction. Check the condition of the entire brake booster hose and MAP. Sandy

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sandymane View Post
I think at this point it would be beneficial to run diagnostic codes and see if we can get some direction. Check the condition of the entire brake booster hose and MAP. Sandy
ok Thanks -I have tried numerous times to run codes with a obd 1 scanner & the jump wire method --no luck Ill keep plugging away --Thx for your reply

Old 12-06-2018, 03:05 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Has anybody been messing with the Trottle Stop Screw ?
Are your butterfly plates open @ closed throttle ?

Explain what you mean by "no luck" when checking for codes.
When you plug in the 2 connectors to the Code reader and turn the key on, what happens? etc.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
Has anybody been messing with the Trottle Stop Screw ?
Are your butterfly plates open @ closed throttle ?

Explain what you mean by "no luck" when checking for codes.
When you plug in the 2 connectors to the Code reader and turn the key on, what happens? etc.

It says " reader must be connected to get codes (or something like that).. in other words nothing --tried multiple times -- also ran jumper wire to the STI & STO --CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DID NOT FLASH --Havent tried with a test light or volt meter yet but I would think a OBD1 READER WOULD TELL ME SOMETHING ??

Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Butter flys open & close like they should -- throttle stop ok too--havent messed with it

Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What make and model is your code reader ?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 AM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
We have had a few posts concerning 1987 (86 as well?) trucks/Broncos. Seems like some state the Check Engine Light works other state there is not one in the dash at all. Even with a bulb inserted it does not work. That may be why the jumper method does not work for you, the bulb may not be there (does it light up when cycling the key from Off to Run?) or the computer may not send a signal to it.

The above would not explain why the code reader does not work. Try cleaning the pins on the connector with contact cleaner or more aggressive with a small finger nail file.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:37 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
Originally Posted by Will Joyce View Post
It says " reader must be connected to get codes (or something like that).. in other words nothing --tried multiple times -- also ran jumper wire to the STI & STO --CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DID NOT FLASH --Havent tried with a test light or volt meter yet but I would think a OBD1 READER WOULD TELL ME SOMETHING ??
You do not have a Check Engine Light.
The jumper would go between STI & SIG-RTN , not STO. STO is where you would read the flashes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.