Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dash removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 03:03 PM
Hesson81
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dash removal procedure

Does any one have a link to a video or a pdf for removing as much as the dash as possible?..
I want to remove as much as I can so I can have as much visibility as possible in seeing a leak..

I have a haynes manual but it covers year 99- 07 and its kind of crap for this..

Thanks again..hoping to find something..

Old 11-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
A large part of it pops right out, it's only held in with clips. I can pop mine out in a couple of minutes. The radio will probably be the bulk of your problems and I can't help you there because mine is aftermarket and it just comes right out with the dash (I think it's called the dash bezel but I'm not sure). There may be a couple of screws above your radio to take out. As you pull it back you need to reach in and disconnect the switches and the headlight switch doesn't have much slack in it.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
YouTube is full of videos.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Hesson81
Tuned
Thanks walley.wish I had pics.. But i have all that out.. Radio.. Environmental controls etc.. But I want to take more of it off so that I can get a good visual..and also pull out what i think is the gem behind the radio.. I can see it..there's three plug harnesses that go into it.. But there's no way to get to it.. I'll post pics..the molding that has the cup holder has like 8 10mm screws..but i can't get it out..

at this point I see a lot of electrical wiring work.. Electrical tape etc.. I'll beer posting a few "what is this" pics in the days to come.. I don't plan on putting this dash back on until I'm content with everything being cleaned inspected and tightened.. Id like to find a fix for my three problems.. Intermittent window/radio function.. Air bag 32.. And engine stalling/momentary power loss..

Old 11-29-2018, 08:55 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
That aint the GEM. Its the VSS module. It CAN be had by removing the lower/trashbag area cover. Only held in by 2-13mm nuts...been there a yr ago getn a new one reprogrammed

Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Hesson81
Id like to find a fix for my three problems.. Intermittent window/radio function.. Air bag 32.. And engine stalling/momentary power loss..
I've kinda given up on Haynes manuals. They show you just enough to steer ya wrong.

Let's dig into your 3 problems before you dig into the dash unnecessarily. Talk more about these symptoms. Post the actual codes you're getting, and how you're getting them. Also if it has been raining recently, since a common problem is leaking windshield seals dripping onto fuse panels.

There's plenty of experienced brains in this forum that just need info to be helpful.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Windshield. Lower-left corner of the windshield frame has a seam. When the seal there fails, water heads toward near your left foot.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:40 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"When the seal there fails, water heads toward near your left foot."

which is where the PCM module is located. moisture in it can cause lots of random electrical gremlin problems, like radio turning itself on and off while driving - and more fun like the truck deciding to turn itself off while rolling down the road

simple enough to look for moisture in that area; if found you need a new windshield seal. once that is installed fix can be as simple as thoroughly drying everything with the footwell heater vent in the truck; PCM not necessarily permanently damaged by the leaks.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Hesson81
Tuned
Thanks guys.. I feel confident that my windshield is leaking.. Even though I don't see any evidence of water.. But the problems tend to manifest either during times of rain or moisture..and or after.. But someone mentioned radio turning on and off and truck just turning off down the road...ya..that's my problem.. I gotta get the Windshield seal fixed.. Imma about to do a garden hose check

Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Thanks guys.. I feel confident that my windshield is leaking.. Even though I don't see any evidence of water.. But the problems tend to manifest either during times of rain or moisture..and or after.. But someone mentioned radio turning on and off and truck just turning off down the road...ya..that's my problem.. I gotta get the Windshield seal fixed.. Imma about to do a garden hose check

Pouring more water down into those $$$$$$$ expensive electronics wouldn't be a good idea to me. Look into your problems with the expert folks here, unless you have deep pockets....

Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Hesson81
Tuned
Thanks mobill.. Yea I'm sure what ever is coming in is small amounts..just enough to have corodded a ground somewhere.. I just need to know where all the grinding points are.. When I find the problem it's free to fix...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

sounds like the old water in the fusebox.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Hesson81
Tuned
Originally Posted by Skip1970
sounds like the old water in the fusebox.
skip..aside from preventing water from getting in.. How does one water proof the fuse box.. Because I also think a humid night also allows water build up. You know when you wake up and there's a sheet of moisture in your Windows?? I think there's also the same moisture on the fuse box.. Again..I'm sure it's very little..but just enough to create this problem.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:49 AM
ARP2
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this problem as well but mine was leaking from my clearance lights on top of the cab. The seals under them had deteriorated and water was leaking in traveling across the headliner into the drivers side windshield trim piece (where the pillar gauges go) like a gutter directing the water straight to my GEM.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Hesson81
Tuned
Originally Posted by ARP2
I had this problem as well but mine was leaking from my clearance lights on top of the cab. The seals under them had deteriorated and water was leaking in traveling across the headliner into the drivers side windshield trim piece (where the pillar gauges go) like a gutter directing the water straight to my GEM.
What year is your truck?? Where is the gem?? I can't get a positive answer on where my gem is..or even if I have a gem.. I have a 2003 f350 7.3

Quick Reply: Dash removal procedure