Rear differential leaking - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Rear differential leaking

Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Philly driver
Freshman User
Philly driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear differential leaking

2009 Ford E350 75k miles
yesterday I noticed that the rear differential is freaking leaking...
Does anybody know if this axle fluid is the correct one for my van?
And do I need to add friction modifier additive?
Genuine Ford Fluid XY-75W140-QL SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant - 1 Quart
Amazon Amazon

Sorry for so many questions is my first time dealing with one of this.
thanks!

Old 11-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Yeah that lube will work and you only need friction modifier if your truck has an LS diff.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:32 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Philly driver View Post
Sorry for so many questions is my first time dealing with one of this.
thanks!
No apologies necessary---we all learn by asking. Your question and any resulting answers might help another sometime too.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 AM
Philly driver
Freshman User
Thank you guys I hope to get the job done this weekend, so the van is ready to travel during Christmas.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM
maples01
Postmaster
maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
I went with royal purple, no modifiers needed, not happy there is no gasket available, you have to use sealer.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Philly driver
Freshman User
Originally Posted by maples01 View Post
I went with royal purple, no modifiers needed, not happy there is no gasket available, you have to use sealer.
Yes I find that kind of retarded...
Btw is 30 ft/lbs the correct torque for the bolts?

Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM
maples01
Postmaster
maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Cover housing bolts: grade 5 - 35, grade 8 - 45, gonna have to read the head of the bolt, but I think a 350 is a grade 8, use lock washers, they work loose it seems.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Philly driver
Freshman User
Cover housing bolts: grade 5 - 35, grade 8 - 45, gonna have to read the head of the bolt, but I think a 350 is a grade 8, use lock washers, they work loose it seems.
Perfect, thank you.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM
maples01
Postmaster
You're welcome, I believe you're supposed to change it every 80,000 miles, takes almost a gallon.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
With those bolts and sealer, no need to torque them to the max. You want an even clamp force, not the maximum. It's just a stamped or plastic cover, not a moving part. I wouldn't torque them over about 25 ft/lbs. Any tighter and you'll just squeeze the sealer out and distort the cover (or crack it if it's plastic)

Old 12-07-2018, 05:07 PM
maples01
Postmaster
That is what the manual says, and you are not supposed to bolt it up when the sealer is wet, proper tightening will not warp it either, it's like bolting a wheel on your vehicle, spread pattern.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:02 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
That is what the manual says, and you are not supposed to bolt it up when the sealer is wet, proper tightening will not warp it either, it's like bolting a wheel on your vehicle, spread pattern.
Max torque will distort a stamped steel cover and crack a plastic cover. Especially doubling it just because the bolts will handle the torque value. You wouldn't use 45 ft lbs on a valve cover would you ? This is the same thing, same size bolts. It's nothing like bolting on a wheel. Even cured silicone will squish. But go ahead and try it. Let us know how bad it leaks afterwards.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Philly driver
Freshman User

I finish the job yesterday, it took me almost 3 hours taking my time; those bolts required serious torque to unbolt them, even though I put DW40 for the last 2 days they were there for good... anyway with the breaking bar I did it. At the end I torque them to 40 ft/lbs I hope I didnít over torque them, if the differential start leaking Iíll report back.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:47 PM
maples01
Postmaster
Mine was fine until the bolts started loosening years later, as for valve cover bolts, they aren't grade 8, guess you've never noticed, must have never worked on one or you're one of those that wings things, screw the manual.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Mine was fine until the bolts started loosening years later, as for valve cover bolts, they aren't grade 8, guess you've never noticed, must have never worked on one or you're one of those that wings things, screw the manual.
I can tell you've got limited experience in mechanics here. And the rest of your postings reveal this as well. The limiting factor here isn't the bolts, it's the thin stamped steel cover. Applying maximum force to the bolts on a thin stamped steel part isn't the smart thing to do here. Your bolts loosened up because the gaskets shrunk with age. The cover on these rear ends does nothing but cover a hole. That's why it's made of thin stamped steel or plastic, so please explain to all here why you'd use the maximum torque value for grade 8 bolts on this part ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.