Headlight switch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Headlight switch

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Hotrod350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Headlight switch

I am currently working on getting my headlights reattached and came across a strange issue. With my driver headlight plugged in I am testing to make sure it works before I button everything up. My headlight is off when the switch is pushed all the way in. It turns on when I pull the switch out one click. But the high beams won't engage. When I pull the switch all the way out the headlight is on and the dimmer switch works. Is this proper operation or is one click out on the light switch supposed to be parking lights only? I am using an American auto wire wiring harness.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
In is off.
First click is parking lights only.
Second click is headlights, both high and low beam, no parking lights.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Oldb
Senior User
Oldb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Oldb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So is the switch correct for the year of your truck, or a switch that came with the Harness? All the ford switches I have had were off pushed in, park and tail 1st click and headlamps and tail 2nd click or all the way out. Rotation in 1st or 2nd click changed the intensity of the instrument lights and all the way to the right would turn on the dome. It could be the way American Auto designed the harness to allow low beams on one click. Wish I could offer more.

B

Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
one out is parking taillights only! all the way out is your headlights.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Thought this was the case the multi meter also never lies. Low beams are shorted to parking lights

Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
In a wierd twist of fate both low and high beams are shorted to park lights

Old 11-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
So after about 45 minutes of waiving my multi meter around everything works properly now . Which means the short went away while I was wiggling wires or the spot where it shorted got way too many amps and melted until there was no short .Both are bad. But! My truck has one working light. Would do the other but it is snowing and 10 at night.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hotrod350 View Post
S. . .the short went away while I was wiggling wires . . .
Don't worry. It will come back . . . at the most inconvenient time.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
Don't worry. It will come back . . . at the most inconvenient time.
I'll second that.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
I worked in the copier industry as a service manager for over 24 years.

I always told the techs, if they didn't know they fixed the problem, they didn't.

It will definitely be back.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
I worked in the copier industry as a service manager for over 24 years.

I always told the techs, if they didn't know they fixed the problem, they didn't.

It will definitely be back.
I have no doubt that it will be back. But until then

With led ring I am going to use as daylight running lights

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.