2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to fix the wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 AM
04TXLightning
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My steering feels light on 59 and the beltway in Houston. I have a 2" bds leveling kit. I had castor bushings installed after I suffered my first DW after the leveling kit installed. My castor is set at 3.2 on both sides. I have not suffered DW since the castor bushings were put in but my steering still feels light. I am scheduling an appointment this week to get my castor at max to see if it helps. My truck is a 17. Leveling kit been on for 10k miles

Old 12-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04TXLightning
My steering feels light on 59 and the beltway in Houston. I have a 2" bds leveling kit. I had castor bushings installed after I suffered my first DW after the leveling kit installed. My castor is set at 3.2 on both sides. I have not suffered DW since the castor bushings were put in but my steering still feels light. I am scheduling an appointment this week to get my castor at max to see if it helps. My truck is a 17. Leveling kit been on for 10k miles
same area same problem. I make that drive everyday. What dealership are you working with? Do you feel a chatter in your steering wheel? Almost like something is loose?

Old 12-16-2018, 02:38 PM
TXKR
Senior User
The notion of increasing caster is contrary to what Ford is recommending in the TSB for this, just FYI. I am about to decrease the caster on mine from 4.2*/4.3* to somewhere around 2 to 3 degrees. But I would like to hear from anyone who has a 17/18 that had this problem that remedied it by increasing caster and not doing anything else. That would be very interesting to evaluate.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:01 PM
TXKR
Senior User
Update. The new FOX shocks are on and its a totally different truck, just as I expected. Its tighter and solid in the front, less rear rebound over bumps and just more controlled. Its an entirely different experience on the same road where previously I was able to induce the death wobble. Now I cannot. And before it had quit a bit of road input into the steering wheel, even on normal pavement. Very little to none now. The truck now feels like my 2015 with the trailer towing package springs (5600 front and 6000 rear) did when it was new. And it feels nothing like it did the day I drove it home new. I had thought I would upgrade the front springs as I mentioned above I post #126 but decided to do the shocks only to compare before with OEM shocks and stabilizer to after with all Fox. Now I'll go have it aligned to the lower end of the caster spec and see what happens.

These trucks are clearly aimed at the part of the market intending heavy duty service. But in my opinion, Ford's attempt to sell heavy duty trucks into the top edge of the light duty market has resulted in a compromise. By trying to reduce the harshness of the overall ride when unloaded, they have under-shocked these trucks. The smartest thing Ford could do is warn people that the F250/350/450 is a HD truck meant for work and pulling and its going to ride stiff unloaded so it can do what it needs to do when loaded. They need to STOP SKIMPING and significantly beef up the quality and capacity of the shocks, stabilizer, bushings, tie rod ends etc. If you are looking for a grocery-getter or something to pull a jet-ski, buy an F150.

I love my truck and have no regrets, just my 2 cents thus far...

Old 12-16-2018, 06:02 PM
04TXLightning
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

same area same problem. I make that drive everyday. What dealership are you working with? Do you feel a chatter in your steering wheel? Almost like something is loose?
I'm not working with a dealer. As soon as I put the leveling kit on I lost that part of my warranty. I think max caster is the best option because before the bushings I couldn't hardly drive the truck at all. Bushings made a lot of difference. Just not perfect. I'm aiming for perfection

Old 12-16-2018, 06:04 PM
04TXLightning
Freshman User

Is your truck stock?

Old 12-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TXKR
Update. The new FOX shocks are on and its a totally different truck, just as I expected. Its tighter and solid in the front, less rear rebound over bumps and just more controlled. Its an entirely different experience on the same road where previously I was able to induce the death wobble. Now I cannot. And before it had quit a bit of road input into the steering wheel, even on normal pavement. Very little to none now. The truck now feels like my 2015 with the trailer towing package springs (5600 front and 6000 rear) did when it was new. And it feels nothing like it did the day I drove it home new. I had thought I would upgrade the front springs as I mentioned above I post #126 but decided to do the shocks only to compare before with OEM shocks and stabilizer to after with all Fox. Now I'll go have it aligned to the lower end of the caster spec and see what happens.

These trucks are clearly aimed at the part of the market intending heavy duty service. But in my opinion, Ford's attempt to sell heavy duty trucks into the top edge of the light duty market has resulted in a compromise. By trying to reduce the harshness of the overall ride when unloaded, they have under-shocked these trucks. The smartest thing Ford could do is warn people that the F250/350/450 is a HD truck meant for work and pulling and its going to ride stiff unloaded so it can do what it needs to do when loaded. They need to STOP SKIMPING and significantly beef up the quality and capacity of the shocks, stabilizer, bushings, tie rod ends etc. If you are looking for a grocery-getter or something to pull a jet-ski, buy an F150.

I love my truck and have no regrets, just my 2 cents thus far...
That's right in line with my experience, they just supply some really crap dampening, shocks really do make a night and day difference on these heavy trucks.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ccie7879
"I returned to the spot on my way back to the house after installing the Fox and hit it again. Nothing, nada, zip. The Fox totally suppressed it in less than the blink of an eye. "

TXKR,
Are you suggesting that you were able to recreate the DW reliably and when you changed to the Fox steering stabilizer the DW was gone? If so... you found the DW answer?
Have others with the Fox stabilizer ever experienced DW?
I have the Fox stabilizer and experienced DW .

Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 PM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tricon
That's right in line with my experience, they just supply some really crap dampening, shocks really do make a night and day difference on these heavy trucks.
Wow!

Good stuff Jim and all. I have the Fox stabilizer on my Christmas Wish List; if it doesn't show up I'll purchase it myself and keep an eye on things here, then go with Fox shocks before too long. I still have under 1000mi. on my truck and no complaints but I like hearing there's a seat-of-the pants noticeable difference from you guys stepping up. My first Blue Oval diesel ever so nothing to compare with except a 13 year old regular cab 2500 HD Dmax.

Gary

Old 12-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Is your truck stock?
yes sir it is. Mine is also a 2 wheel drive. I beams not solid axle, but linkage steering with steering box none the less. I have a thread titled “first post lil’ help here” if you care to read about my issue. I do not have DW but i do have a metallic chatter and moments where the steering feels lifeless. Once it starts to chatter it Bump steers over every bump and drifts left and right. Beltway and 59 is a spot where my truck really goes to crap. I would love to try aftermarket shocks to see if it helps anything, but for some reason no manufacturer makes a full set of 4. I can find shocks for the front but nothing for the rear. Drives me crazy there is no AM support for the 2 wheel drive. I shoulda got a 4x4 ..... whole things stupid :-/ i will say after reading all of the information i have found about steering issues with this platform, and knowing what i know, i’m not sure that backing off on caster is a good idea. Higher castor makes a vehcle feel more “planted” less caster will promote wandering. Dosent make sense to me.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:03 PM
04TXLightning
Freshman User

yes sir it is. Mine is also a 2 wheel drive. I beams not solid axle, but linkage steering with steering box none the less. I have a thread titled “first post lil’ help here” if you care to read about my issue. I do not have DW but i do have a metallic chatter and moments where the steering feels lifeless. Once it starts to chatter it Bump steers over every bump and drifts left and right. Beltway and 59 is a spot where my truck really goes to crap. I would love to try aftermarket shocks to see if it helps anything, but for some reason no manufacturer makes a full set of 4. I can find shocks for the front but nothing for the rear. Drives me crazy there is no AM support for the 2 wheel drive. I shoulda got a 4x4 ..... whole things stupid :-/ i will say after reading all of the information i have found about steering issues with this platform, and knowing what i know, i’m not sure that backing off on caster is a good idea. Higher castor makes a vehcle feel more “planted” less caster will promote wandering. Dosent make sense to me.
I have fox shocks on mine also. I'm not hearing any steering noises, just doesn't feel as tight as it should. Beltway and 59 is the worst. Any concrete highway really. Rides good on asphalt. I can say every issue I have had with the truck, the dealer has done nothing. I have had to fix everything. From squeaking brakes to door looseness, this steering issue. Ford service has really gone to crap. Good customers like me, who buy vehicles when they shouldn't and will never get ahead that way should be treated better

Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
I have fox shocks on mine also. I'm not hearing any steering noises, just doesn't feel as tight as it should. Beltway and 59 is the worst. Any concrete highway really. Rides good on asphalt. I can say every issue I have had with the truck, the dealer has done nothing. I have had to fix everything. From squeaking brakes to door looseness, this steering issue. Ford service has really gone to crap. Good customers like me, who buy vehicles when they shouldn't and will never get ahead that way should be treated better
yes sir i agree about the service dpts. Its not just ford its every manufacturer. I have serviced 20+ different dealerships around houston over the last 10 years and i have spent quite a bit of time in the shops talking to techs. 90% of them are oil changers and tire rotators at best. All the salty old dudes that knew what they were doing are gone. If this new generation of techs cant plug into the obd and read a code then your pretty much SOL. When you say “not tight” do you mean a general wandering left and right, or does something feel loose in the steering when you hit bumps? Like does the truck bump steer or dance around? Are you running mud tires with large lugs?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 PM
04TXLightning
Freshman User

yes sir i agree about the service dpts. Its not just ford its every manufacturer. I have serviced 20+ different dealerships around houston over the last 10 years and i have spent quite a bit of time in the shops talking to techs. 90% of them are oil changers and tire rotators at best. All the salty old dudes that knew what they were doing are gone. If this new generation of techs cant plug into the obd and read a code then your pretty much SOL. When you say “not tight” do you mean a general wandering left and right, or does something feel loose in the steering when you hit bumps? Like does the truck bump steer or dance around? Are you running mud tires with large lugs?
no wandering. Steering wheel vibrates on concrete. A lot of movement in the wheel. I'm running 35 ridge grapplers. They are F rated which isn't helping things

Old 12-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
no wandering. Steering wheel vibrates on concrete. A lot of movement in the wheel. I'm running 35 ridge grapplers. They are F rated which isn't helping things
Yeah those tires are going to he ruthless. What air pressure are you running? Have you played with air pressure at all? Have you checked all steering joints for looseness? My steering wheel shimmys back and forth 1 to 1.5 inches over most bumps, but i have what appears to be too much play in the joint at the pitman. At least i believe it to be too much play. I work at momentum bmw there on 59, and on friday we pulled it in the shop. Round tabled with all the technicians and they 100% agreed something is wrong with that joint. This is 2 weeks after i had the original replaced. The odds of 2 being bad are astronomical. I been in this business a long time, and i know in my heart of hearts the next step is for ford to blow me off and tell me “thats just how they are” ......went through that with GM with my shimmyin’ n’ shakin’ 2015 Silverado. After they threw parts at it i fixed that problem by disabling cylinder shut down. Makes me want to puke that im having trouble with this truck, and since i have what seems like the ONLY 2WD IN AMERICA, my support group just isnt there.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
If you are not mechanically inclined and want help without paying someone i would be more than happy to try and help you look at the steering system on your truck. I work at BMW on 59 south and im there every day. Just let me know.

Quick Reply: How to fix the wobble