How to fix the wobble - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to fix the wobble

Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 PM
mylanthompson
New User
mylanthompson is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to fix the wobble

2017 F250 with 26,000 miles on it and has a one inch leveling kit. Noticed that after hitting certain bumps that the front end and steering wheel will begin to vibrate and shake. Have to slow down lesser of 45 to get it to straighten back out. I've rebalanced tires and re aligned the front end to no avail. Dealer replaced steering stabilizer and that didn't cure it either. It's in the shop now for the second time. Wondering if anyone has had similar situations and how they fixed it. Wobble didn't start till well after the leveling kit install.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM
'18_F250_4x4
Junior User
'18_F250_4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Please give us more info on your issue by completing a short survey. https://goo.gl/forms/APzY2grDcE2iQgsp2
We currently have 80 owners who have added their info and need as many as possible to get a good picture of whats going on with these trucks.
Search this forum for Death Wobble and you will find SOOO much info including a Ford service bulletin. Your dealer should fix this.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by mylanthompson View Post
2017 F250 with 26,000 miles on it and has a one inch leveling kit. Noticed that after hitting certain bumps that the front end and steering wheel will begin to vibrate and shake. Have to slow down lesser of 45 to get it to straighten back out. I've rebalanced tires and re aligned the front end to no avail. Dealer replaced steering stabilizer and that didn't cure it either. It's in the shop now for the second time. Wondering if anyone has had similar situations and how they fixed it. Wobble didn't start till well after the leveling kit install.
The level kit will reduce the caster.

What is the truck's Caster setting? Max it out or use a kit. You want it over 4 degrees.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:29 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
FOUNTAIN 1 has a good reputation on FTE.FOUNTAIN 1 has a good reputation on FTE.FOUNTAIN 1 has a good reputation on FTE.
hey ford . please fix my new truck before I kill someone …. it pretty easy .. but too expensive to recall all the trucks .. wont happen even when people get killed .. just like the firestone tires . sad but true .. for the record it can be fixed by a good shop that knows what there doing .. forget the dealership as they have no idea what the hell death wobble is .. never heard of it lol , do some research n fix youre truck. good luck

Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Truckie256
Elder User
Truckie256 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by FOUNTAIN 1 View Post
hey ford . please fix my new truck before I kill someone . it pretty easy .. but too expensive to recall all the trucks .. wont happen even when people get killed .. just like the firestone tires . sad but true .. for the record it can be fixed by a good shop that knows what there doing .. forget the dealership as they have no idea what the hell death wobble is .. never heard of it lol , do some research n fix youre truck. good luck
What he said^^^^^^^^^
I have the 3.5"front/1" rear procomp level lift installed by 4 wheelparts... Caster bushings we're discussed prior to install... alignment after install...no bushings needed and NO WOBBLE...
THEY DO A TON OF LIFTS...

Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 PM
LTSnyder
New User
LTSnyder is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2018 with 17,000 miles on it. I've had it happen twice. I'm guessing it is crappy front shocks. I think the springs are so soft to increase ride comfort, and there is so much weight in the front of these trucks, that the shocks are not heavy duty enough. I'm planning on replacing the front shocks with some high quality shocks to see if that changes things.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:05 AM
SMarquez
Senior User
SMarquez is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is this an problem with both gas and diesel truck? One worse than the other?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi
spongecop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine did it yesterday on the hwy...twice! Almost wrecked out.

2017 w/29k dealer just aligned in July. I completed the survey

Old 11-12-2018, 10:14 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User
ExtremeDuty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by LTSnyder View Post
I have a 2018 with 17,000 miles on it. I've had it happen twice. I'm guessing it is crappy front shocks. I think the springs are so soft to increase ride comfort, and there is so much weight in the front of these trucks, that the shocks are not heavy duty enough. I'm planning on replacing the front shocks with some high quality shocks to see if that changes things.
Anyone with the SnowPlow Prep or Heavy Duty front spring package have the wobble? I got the Snow Plow prep cuz it was on the truck on the lot, doubt I'll ever hook up a plow..
Ford says the HD springs will affect 'ride quality'.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 AM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have it and not a hint of wobble.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:09 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
I have it and not a hint of wobble.
I wish all the various threads on this topic could be consolidated. I did more digging after I posted the question and found a few DW/SPlow trucks. Guess it's a crapshoot on whether or not it's gonna happen. Trying to keep my OCD in check..lol.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
The first two categories that I would separate would be with and with out lift kits or suspension mods to see if there is a correlation between the two.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:35 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
The first two categories that I would separate would be with and with out lift kits or suspension mods to see if there is a correlation between the two.
Yup. Maybe SRW/DRW as well..

Old 11-12-2018, 08:33 PM
FSRBIKER
Junior User
FSRBIKER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty View Post
Anyone with the SnowPlow Prep or Heavy Duty front spring package have the wobble? I got the Snow Plow prep cuz it was on the truck on the lot, doubt I'll ever hook up a plow..
Ford says the HD springs will affect 'ride quality'.
I have the Snow Plow prep package and my truck was just in for Death Wobble. Dealer did the TSB but I need to get the alignment settings from them tomorrow. I haven't driven it over areas that I had Death Wobble yet but I'm hoping it's fixed.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 PM
localrick13
Freshman User
localrick13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can I get comments about how well a track bar will help with the wobble?
I've read that the caster needs to be more than 4 degrees. and lifts will likely decrease the caster out of that spec.
I wonder if this track bar will also help. Are there any negative affects to using a track bar? Does anyone have this track bar installed?

ReadyLIFT Anti-Wobble Track Bar (Bent) - Ford Super Duty 4WD For 0-4" Lift Applications 2005-2016
$657.96 SKU 77-2000 https://www.readylift.com/anti-wobbl...2005-2016.html

Track Bar Bracket - Ford Super Duty F250/F350 4WD 2008-2018
$229.95 SKU 67-2538 https://www.readylift.com/track-bar-...2008-2018.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.