Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   How to fix the wobble (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1561409-how-to-fix-the-wobble.html)

mylanthompson 11-06-2018 06:39 PM

How to fix the wobble

2017 F250 with 26,000 miles on it and has a one inch leveling kit. Noticed that after hitting certain bumps that the front end and steering wheel will begin to vibrate and shake. Have to slow down lesser of 45 to get it to straighten back out. I've rebalanced tires and re aligned the front end to no avail. Dealer replaced steering stabilizer and that didn't cure it either. It's in the shop now for the second time. Wondering if anyone has had similar situations and how they fixed it. Wobble didn't start till well after the leveling kit install.

'18_F250_4x4 11-06-2018 08:18 PM

Please give us more info on your issue by completing a short survey. https://goo.gl/forms/APzY2grDcE2iQgsp2
We currently have 80 owners who have added their info and need as many as possible to get a good picture of whats going on with these trucks.
Search this forum for Death Wobble and you will find SOOO much info including a Ford service bulletin. Your dealer should fix this.

Clubwagon 11-06-2018 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mylanthompson (Post 18291488)
2017 F250 with 26,000 miles on it and has a one inch leveling kit. Noticed that after hitting certain bumps that the front end and steering wheel will begin to vibrate and shake. Have to slow down lesser of 45 to get it to straighten back out. I've rebalanced tires and re aligned the front end to no avail. Dealer replaced steering stabilizer and that didn't cure it either. It's in the shop now for the second time. Wondering if anyone has had similar situations and how they fixed it. Wobble didn't start till well after the leveling kit install.

The level kit will reduce the caster.

What is the truck's Caster setting? Max it out or use a kit. You want it over 4 degrees.

FOUNTAIN 1 11-07-2018 07:29 PM

hey ford . please fix my new truck before I kill someone …. it pretty easy .. but too expensive to recall all the trucks .. wont happen even when people get killed .. just like the firestone tires . sad but true .. for the record it can be fixed by a good shop that knows what there doing .. forget the dealership as they have no idea what the hell death wobble is .. never heard of it lol , do some research n fix youre truck. good luck

Truckie256 11-07-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAIN 1 (Post 18293666)
hey ford . please fix my new truck before I kill someone …. it pretty easy .. but too expensive to recall all the trucks .. wont happen even when people get killed .. just like the firestone tires . sad but true .. for the record it can be fixed by a good shop that knows what there doing .. forget the dealership as they have no idea what the hell death wobble is .. never heard of it lol , do some research n fix youre truck. good luck

What he said^^^^^^^^^
I have the 3.5"front/1" rear procomp level lift installed by 4 wheelparts... Caster bushings we're discussed prior to install... alignment after install...no bushings needed and NO WOBBLE...
THEY DO A TON OF LIFTS...

LTSnyder 11-11-2018 08:37 PM

I have a 2018 with 17,000 miles on it. I've had it happen twice. I'm guessing it is crappy front shocks. I think the springs are so soft to increase ride comfort, and there is so much weight in the front of these trucks, that the shocks are not heavy duty enough. I'm planning on replacing the front shocks with some high quality shocks to see if that changes things.

SMarquez 11-12-2018 12:05 AM

Is this an problem with both gas and diesel truck? One worse than the other?

spongecop 11-12-2018 08:16 AM

Mine did it yesterday on the hwy...twice! Almost wrecked out.

2017 w/29k dealer just aligned in July. I completed the survey

ExtremeDuty 11-12-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by LTSnyder (Post 18300629)
I have a 2018 with 17,000 miles on it. I've had it happen twice. I'm guessing it is crappy front shocks. I think the springs are so soft to increase ride comfort, and there is so much weight in the front of these trucks, that the shocks are not heavy duty enough. I'm planning on replacing the front shocks with some high quality shocks to see if that changes things.

Anyone with the SnowPlow Prep or Heavy Duty front spring package have the wobble? I got the Snow Plow prep cuz it was on the truck on the lot, doubt I'll ever hook up a plow..
Ford says the HD springs will affect 'ride quality'.

xxxsherpa 11-12-2018 10:05 AM

I have it and not a hint of wobble.

ExtremeDuty 11-12-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by xxxsherpa (Post 18301415)
I have it and not a hint of wobble.

I wish all the various threads on this topic could be consolidated. I did more digging after I posted the question and found a few DW/SPlow trucks. Guess it's a crapshoot on whether or not it's gonna happen. Trying to keep my OCD in check..lol.

69cj 11-12-2018 10:32 AM

The first two categories that I would separate would be with and with out lift kits or suspension mods to see if there is a correlation between the two.

ExtremeDuty 11-12-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 18301496)
The first two categories that I would separate would be with and with out lift kits or suspension mods to see if there is a correlation between the two.

Yup. Maybe SRW/DRW as well..

FSRBIKER 11-12-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty (Post 18301266)
Anyone with the SnowPlow Prep or Heavy Duty front spring package have the wobble? I got the Snow Plow prep cuz it was on the truck on the lot, doubt I'll ever hook up a plow..
Ford says the HD springs will affect 'ride quality'.

I have the Snow Plow prep package and my truck was just in for Death Wobble. Dealer did the TSB but I need to get the alignment settings from them tomorrow. I haven't driven it over areas that I had Death Wobble yet but I'm hoping it's fixed.

localrick13 11-12-2018 07:58 PM

Can I get comments about how well a track bar will help with the wobble?
I've read that the caster needs to be more than 4 degrees. and lifts will likely decrease the caster out of that spec.
I wonder if this track bar will also help. Are there any negative affects to using a track bar? Does anyone have this track bar installed?

ReadyLIFT Anti-Wobble Track Bar (Bent) - Ford Super Duty 4WD For 0-4" Lift Applications 2005-2016
$657.96 SKU 77-2000 https://www.readylift.com/anti-wobbl...2005-2016.html

Track Bar Bracket - Ford Super Duty F250/F350 4WD 2008-2018
$229.95 SKU 67-2538 https://www.readylift.com/track-bar-...2008-2018.html