6.2 Unicorn - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

6.2 Unicorn

Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
6.2 Unicorn

So it seems that all of my racer friends are buying new Super Dutys. I ran into this guy Sunday out playing with our toys. Its a 2018 F350 CC Dually FX4 6.2. I had never seen a dualy 6.2 in any trim level above an XL.

He had to special order it and the dealer told him he had better pick it up because he would never be able to sell it otherwise. Nice truck. When I was looking to buy I had a tough time choosing between the Ruby Red, Bluejeans and white. That's my white 250 6.7 beside it.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 PM
KEVPOPPAPUMP
Freshman User
KEVPOPPAPUMP is starting off with a positive reputation.
That must be the reason why my selling dealer was beyond motivated to make such a great deal on my 6.2 Lariat Value Pkg with 4:30ís. Fine by me tho!

Old 11-05-2018, 12:30 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Senior User
pennsylvaniabo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by KEVPOPPAPUMP View Post
That must be the reason why my selling dealer was beyond motivated to make such a great deal on my 6.2 Lariat Value Pkg with 4:30ís. Fine by me tho!
If only I could find such a deal.....

Old 11-05-2018, 12:47 PM
PentaPop
Senior User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The truck camper crowd likes those 6.2 duallys. Gives them a higher payload rating than a heavy diesel.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Mkos1980
Junior User
Mkos1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am seeing a ton of F450s lately with the V10 in a service platform and also Ram 4500s with the HEMI badge.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by PentaPop View Post
The truck camper crowd likes those 6.2 duallys. Gives them a higher payload rating than a heavy diesel.
This guy said that was their intention. To put a slide-in camper so they could stay in the camper on race weekends. He just hasn't done the camper yet.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 PM
DC Snider
Freshman User
DC Snider is starting off with a positive reputation.

This is my 2nd unicorn...my first was a '99 V10 that I kept until April when my new '18 arrived after a 10 week wait...

Old 11-05-2018, 02:31 PM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Buyers have been trained that if you order a 'HD' truck you 'need' the diesel. Dealers know this fallacy and like it because it means more profits.
Not true by a long shot. The 6.2 has proven to be an excellent and reliable gas powertrain.

I also have a unicorn 6.2 dually and recently hauled a 6700 lb econoline on a 2400 lb trailer up a 6% grade, and kept 65 mph in 5th gear. Truck pulls just fine and has plenty of power, and the 4.30 gears are absolutely worth every penny.

I would only recommend the extra cost and maintenance of the diesel if you regularly tow over 20000 lbs.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60 View Post
Buyers have been trained that if you order a 'HD' truck you 'need' the diesel. Dealers know this fallacy and like it because it means more profits.
Not true by a long shot. The 6.2 has proven to be an excellent and reliable gas powertrain.

I also have a unicorn 6.2 dually and recently hauled a 6700 lb econoline on a 2400 lb trailer up a 6% grade, and kept 65 mph in 5th gear. Truck pulls just fine and has plenty of power, and the 4.30 gears are absolutely worth every penny.

I would only recommend the extra cost and maintenance of the diesel if you regularly tow over 20000 lbs.
On the other hand the 6.2 was not on my list because it simply does not have enough power. And it's not an option in the F450.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
I have no complaints or knocks against the 6.2. Its a great motor and performs well. After driving a 2017 6.7 I decided that if I was going to get a new truck it was going to be a 6.7.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 PM
KEVPOPPAPUMP
Freshman User
KEVPOPPAPUMP is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you need a diesel because you tow a lot (frequently or heavy weight), thereís no debating what to buy. If youíre shopping for a HD truck and want a diesel because you can afford it, donít hesitate, get one so you can enjoy the diesel experience.
If the diesel option isnít in your budget (initial $9k+ option cost & routine maintenance), the 6.2 has proven capable by several on this forum.
Switching from a 13 Ram Cummins to current 6.2 gas, I do miss the diesel low end torque. Iím lucky to put 6-7k miles a year on my truck with several short errand drives so thatís the recipe for a short lived emission system. In my case, a total front end failure instead.
Once any of the big 3 find a way to put out a diesel without dirty EGR and complicated $$$ downstream exhaust treatment, I wonít hesite to go diesel again.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:28 PM
flanneljunkie
Senior User
flanneljunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alaskan_Warbird has a F350 Lariat CC Dually with the 6.2. He is in the same town as me, and that configuration is definitely not seen often (maybe it was an error when the dealer ordered it). He has a mammoth of a truck camper... literally, a Mammoth made by Host.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Elder User
Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by flanneljunkie View Post
Alaskan_Warbird has a F350 Lariat CC Dually with the 6.2. He is in the same town as me, and that configuration is definitely not seen often (maybe it was an error when the dealer ordered it). He has a mammoth of a truck camper... literally, a Mammoth made by Host.
Thanks for the tag. I love my 2017 6.2 dually! It's a monster with none of the diesel maintenance or hassles in the extreme cold up here.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Senior User
Busa 1 Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 6.2 in a Raptor and it was a slug. Put a trailer behind it ok if you have the patience of Job going up a grade plus unloaded MPG's suck.

My GM DI 6.2 I had after the Raptor murdered it in mpg's and performance. For me in a HD not on a bet. That being said some people have to have one for various reasons and I understand that but performance wise they are on the "hind tit" as they say.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 PM
ExDakotaOwner
Pickup Trucker
ExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to behold
Wow 6100 ccc? Thats what Im talking about. I need a 6.2 drw once I get out of NY.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.