1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 06:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!

Winterizing the diesel is coming up, and tires will likely come first - but I need to research the head unit. I was an early adopter of the double-din touchscreen variety years ago, but the volume **** stopped working: It's stuck on ear bleed, and I have to use the remote to back it off every time the key is reset. I also have to remember to put the head unit in camera mode every time I shut off the truck, or fight the tornado of noise 30 seconds after turning the key on my next visit to the cab. I'm sure my neighbors would like the new head unit... anything that prevents the speakers from drowning out the diesel startup at 5:30 AM.

My list:
  1. Quick boot time. Many older styles (like mine) take 1/2 a minute before the backup camera works.
  2. Really good sound quality... lest the music be lame.
  3. Android Auto compatible.
  4. Volume **** with push-to-mute. There are times when I have to shut that thing up fast, and I don't want to fumble with a touch screen or a remote button.
  5. No disk. Modern computers don't have disc drives, I don't have CDs, DVDs fit on SD cards, so the mechanical hardware for that is a waste of space.
  6. GPS capability, with Bluetooth to my phone to download routes/alerts from Waze or the like.
  7. Backup camera input - more than one would be nice.
  8. WiFi, so I can update in my driveway (I have good WiFi signal in the driveway) - or maybe use an IP camera on my trailer.
  9. Good antenna/reception for WiFi and FM/AM. I drive over mountain passes a lot, and traffic/road condition notifications are sent via radio.
  10. As big a screen as will fit (usually about 7")
  11. Good cooling system - it's a computer after all... and it's in a hot dash.
Uh... USB-C port would be nice, since that's where everything is headed now.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I haven’t looked at head units in a couple years. But love my Pioneer double din head unit. Have had Pioneer since I first started driving, never had a bad experience. Interested in seeing what you choose.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I went with the Pioneer 4200 NEX...I miss the volume ****.

Good luck on the search!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:35 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Im reluctant to drop any coin on head units. IMHO they are over priced and the technology is old and behind the times...

Old 10-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I bought a cheaply priced JVC 7020 (or something like that) several years ago.

It is cheap and the sound quality reflects that. Although, I drive with no music 99% of the time. I bought the unit for the rear camera, GPS, hands free phone and multimedia over bluetooth like Google maps, YouTube, etc...

Old 10-24-2018, 08:48 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Head units are outdated, Get a Bluetooth amp to power your system and connect your phone to it, use your phone to store, stream or otherwise play your media.

As for the space the head unit occupies, Turn it into a storage area

Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Head units are outdated, Get a Bluetooth amp to power your system and connect your phone to it, use your phone to store, stream or otherwise play your media.

As for the space the head unit occupies, Turn it into a storage area

I for one am not the dedicated to having a phone do everything...so no. A FM tuner/BT, SD Card carrying redneck head unit.....just fine thank you.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I did a thread on my pioneer DD install a few yrs ago. At the time, the Joying unit was the hot ticket. Is a radio but also could download apps onto it..aka, Torque/Forskin.. Wonder if the other "players" have caught up with the times(pioneer, sony..)

Old 10-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Silverhks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
I for one am not the dedicated to having a phone do everything...so no. A FM tuner/BT, SD Card carrying redneck head unit.....just fine thank you.
Yeah, the head unit should have the ability for me to connect to it. Via a wire at that, BT sound is subpar...

Old 10-24-2018, 09:24 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
No company has spent a single dollar on automotive radio development in 10 years meanwhile all the technology in entertainment media has gone into phones, so if you want a clunky old headunit then one piece of junk is as good as the next, Meanwhile the best mobile media player is a phone wether you like it or not.... me ? I almost never carry a phone with me when I am out and about but it is always in my truck playing music, podcast, news, movies, sports, talk shows or any other thing I want to watch or listen to.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm one of the Pioneer users too. My unit is older but sounds great. So good that I installed the same unit in my car. Added Pioneer sub and amp and some ridiculous speakers - best sound I've ever had.
Backup camera takes about 1 second to start, blue-tooth hands free is excellent, only thing is that it is not android so it can't be used for running gauges.
I've looked at the Pumpkin units but I'm not going backwards in sound quality. I have to run my stereo fairly loud to drown out all the truck noise. I like music in the truck, ...on the Harley, no.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:27 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Dang, I still have the stock tape player/CD unit. I love it since I have a few cassettes I throw in for fun once in a while. I have a BT adapter plugged into a port and it plays sounds from my phone, but @Silverhks is right....the sound is subpar.

Sorry to derail Rich....carry on. Are none of the current units up to date? Seems Best Buy used to be the place to go. Not sure now.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I did a thread on my pioneer DD install a few yrs ago. At the time, the Joying unit was the hot ticket. Is a radio but also could download apps onto it..aka, Torque/Forskin.. Wonder if the other "players" have caught up with the times(pioneer, sony..)
Had the Joying unit...got rid of it for the Pioneer NEX.

That said, the Joying had some features that I liked, Volume ****...and speed sensitive volume. But, the reception was terrible!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
I too am interested in upgrading my head unit from the stock one so I this thread comes at the perfect time. My main concerns being hands free calling and a GPS system.

Hey Dan V, could a FM booster not have increased the reception?

Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Silverhks
Senior User
My constructive comment of the day...

I don't know what's hot in head units currently but Crutchfield is usually a good place to start. Their site will allow you to see what's out there.
I even end up ordering from them more often than not.

Quick Reply: Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!