vjsimone
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by evan_nugget
So ever since the trans fluid change the ol' C6 has been working great,
and sometimes that valve gets stuck.
Now, I know jack squat about automatic transmissions
42RE .
Just remember, you only changed half of the fluid.
Dirty fluid and stuck valves pair well together.....
I had a few 42REs, they are tough tranys, if you take care of them...

Old 12-29-2018, 08:33 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Whenever it rains, the first time I go to drive the BKO I randomly have no electrical power in the dash - no wipers, no turn signals, sometimes no power windows. I always have headlights and door locks. I'll try to get a picture but I think it's because the hood doesn't look like it's lined up properly, and when I opened it up today the firewall was wet where the nest of wiring is... Looks like we'll have to get some rubber to try and insulate it from happening again.
Do you know any Priest....??

Old 12-29-2018, 11:31 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Do your backup lights work?

Old 12-30-2018, 06:14 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
[QUOTE=vjsimone;18387887]
KOEO: Code 31, KOER: Codes 41, 31, 77.
Is your EGR-Valve old, new ?
Is your O2 sensors old, new ?
No sir, nothing is new. Only new parts on the engine are wires, plugs, cap, rotor. Wonder if new EGR would help..... I bet new O2 sensors might.

Originally Posted by vjsimone
Just remember, you only changed half of the fluid.
Dirty fluid and stuck valves pair well together.....
I had a few 42REs, they are tough tranys, if you take care of them...
OK, good point. I suppose a full fluid change will be in the future....... Shame we didn't do it to start with. Oh also, you might be the first person I've heard of who has spoken positively to say about the 42RE.... All the guys on the Cherokee forums have nothing nice to say.

Do you know any Priest....??
Wait, you're not the resident Bronco priest??? Oh that's right, the bronco WIZARD... I'm sure there's another FTE who's properly ordained and ready for the task...

Do your backup lights work?
Yes, they work every time.

If you're ever passing thru northern VA or Harrisonburg and have time to spare, the drinks are on me. Thanks for guiding me through the mire of owning a 30-year old vehicle

Old 12-30-2018, 09:11 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
[QUOTE=evan_nugget;18389562]
Wait, you're not the resident Bronco priest??? Oh that's right, the bronco WIZARD... I'm sure there's another FTE who's properly ordained and ready for the task...

If you're ever passing thru northern VA or Harrisonburg and have time to spare, the drinks are on me. Thanks for guiding me through the mire of owning a 30-year old vehicle
Funny you mention this, I’m going to PM you.

Well, the real BKO wizard is a guy that goes by Steve83…… I bow to him…
There is a history of Catholicism in my past, but to date there is no evidence that any of my prayers, blessings or oily water ever improved a ford truck…

When I get back home, I will take a look at the schematics to see if there is any commonality for your rainy-day electrical failures. For now, I would suggest you clean and fill your connectors with connector grease as you go.

The code #41 can indicate a failed O2 sensor, a failed O2 heater circuit, a broken O2 sensor wire, or for some reason, the engine is running lean. There is a life cycle on an O2 sensor, back in 1988, is was only 30Kmi, the newer replacement sensor has a longer life cycle.

I believe the O2 heater circuit is on the same fuse link as the back-up lights, so you may have the voltage present for the heater, but the heater in the O2 sensor may have failed. You can check for this heater 12vdc on the P/O wire at the O2 connector. Would be a good Idea to check and clean that connector as well. The O2 sensor only puts out 0.0 – 0.9 volts dc, so not much of a signal to start with, so any resistance in its path to pin #29 on the ECA connector can produce a code #41, for a 0.0 to 0.4 vdc signal is interpreted by the ECA as a lean condition.

The only thing an EGR helps is the environment, a little…
The 31 code sounds like when the ECA expected the EGR-Valve to be open, the ECA did not sense a higher voltage on the EVP sensor mounted on top of the EGR-V.So, I would guess the EGR-V is stuck, or the EGR-Solenoid is inoperative. The EGR-V could be stuck a tad bit open allowing a little exhaust gas to enter the intake, potentially leaning out your fuel/air mixture.

A check of the EVP voltages may be in order as well. You should have 5v dc on the O/W wire. The B/W is the ground wire. If you disconnect and take the EVP sensor out of the EGR-V you can check for a resistance change and dead spots probing the BR/LG & O/W, or the BR/LG & the BK/W wires while depressing the pintle rod in.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:53 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Steve's chimed in on some of my posts on the F150.net forum. What a guy - I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever learn about Ford vehicles.

Here's another clue in regards to the wiring gremlin - the turn signal power returns at the same time as power to the blower motor. This has started happening every time I start up the vehicle - power comes back maybe 3-5 min after startup. It's gotta be some wires loose or something - it doesn't feel random anymore.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
Steve's chimed in on some of my posts on the F150.net forum. What a guy - I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever learn about Ford vehicles.
Here's another clue in regards to the wiring gremlin - the turn signal power returns at the same time as power to the blower motor. This has started happening every time I start up the vehicle - power comes back maybe 3-5 min after startup. It's gotta be some wires loose or something - it doesn't feel random anymore.
Steve is a great resource, I spend a little bit of time on that site as well, but not as much as FTE.
Could be your ignition switch.. Or Fuse box..
I'll take a closer look at the wiring diagrams and see whats in common when I get back to Buckroe Beach next week.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Same issue as we had before!! Parked the Bronco up by the garage nose-up and now it won't start. It's kicking and trying to start but it won't. My first thought was fuel drain back but after priming the pump and cranking for so long it ought to have fired up by now (30 min)...... No change after spraying gasoline down TB. Taking a break and letting the starter and wires cool down - no sens burning them up either. I'll give it a rest and go back out to check for spark.

What a shame - I was taking it to get new tires put on too........

Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
My first thought was fuel drain back but after priming the pump and cranking for so long it ought to have fired up by now (30 min)...... No change after spraying gasoline down TB. .
It is always a good idea to replace the old Fuel & EEC Relays if you have not already.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:24 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
OK, we'll do that. Thanks Vinny. I should add that it randomly fired up about a week and a half ago, when Dad gave it a "grins and giggles" try.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
vjsimone
Cargo Master
OK, we'll do that. Thanks Vinny. I should add that it randomly fired up about a week and a half ago, when Dad gave it a "grins and giggles" try.
Until 1992 those two relays that Ford used were crap....

Old 02-11-2019, 04:21 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
We're on it. I'm gonna get this thread back on track - further engine issues will be posted on the 87-96 F-Series forum. So let's start with a unique Bronco question:

The tailgate has begun to get held up by the latch on the passenger side when trying to open it. With the access cover off it is possible to tug the linkage and get the gate open, but I don't think my brother is gonna want to do that every time he needs to get the gate open.

Serving suggestions?

Old 03-03-2019, 04:13 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Picked up two relays for a 1996 F150 for the Bronc fuel pump and EEC relays to replace the possible '88 relays.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
UPDATE: The Wiring Issues

I think I've narrowed down the specific conditions on which my truck decides to act up..... When you first turn the key to "ON" (not yet cranked).... you have full electrical power. Turn signals, wipers, radio, blower motor. AFTER CRANKING AND STARTING..... nothing! You have headlights and hazards. Radio was silent for about a min. After maybe 5-10 min all other electrical components return to working function. This has been confirmed tonight, took it on about a 15 min drive.

Also worth noting..... headlights seem to pulse slightly - gauge indicates good charging. Multimeter on battery indicates 14.something volts. I did read something about the 2G voltage regulators going bad? This looks like a brand new alternator though.

Old trucks have quite the personality.... Someone help me get this old guy working 100%.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Something to lighten the mood - cause mostly I've been complaining about the old guy a lot. Well he proved himself last Tuesday.

Do you all remember why I was looking for specific qualities in a Bronco before finding Big Red? Well Andy came home from high school and was talking about how one of the seniors on his lacrosse team was bragging about his Bronco. Now this kid's truck is really nice. Its a blue 1989, got a 4 inch suspension lift and 35s. Not a speck of rust on the thing - it's always waxed and shiny. Now he was ragging on Andy a little cause Big Red is still a little dirty from sitting for 2 years and is showing his age just a bit. So I drove to pick up Andy after his practice that Tuesday, and to take a look at the kid's Bronco. He was telling me all about it but what I DIDN'T hear were any substantial engine modifications nor regearing from the stock 3.55 to accommodate for the bigger tires. He was very proud of his 302 smallblock - he put big chrome "5.0" mustang badges on each fender! Only modification were duals and glasspacks.

So when I roll up in the red Ford this other kid asks Andy if he wants to go out to "burnout alley" for a little street race. Burnout alley is a 6 mile long road that connects two parallel thoroughfares. The road is dead straight and flat - with binocs you can see the stop sign at the far end. Of course Andy declines but I say "ya know what - let's do it". So we get out there and get ready to take off.... And let me tell you what. I buried the skinny pedal and the red Ford barked tires and took off! Next thing i know we were wrapped out at 4K and grabbed second. Absolutely walked away from the blue Ford. When all was said and done he wanted to know why we'd beaten him. I just said we had 49 extra cubes. He couldn't figure out what that meant - even after he peeked under the hood. Eventually he figured out his 302 wasn't the biggest, baddest V8 on the block anymore.....

He walks a little shorter now............ But I like this kid and there were no hard feelings nor animosity.

Quick Reply: '88 Bronco Project