Ford "Sync" software and design complaints - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Ford "Sync" software and design complaints

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford "Sync" software and design complaints

  #1  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:02 AM
alabamatoy
alabamatoy is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Madison USA
Posts: 63
alabamatoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford "Sync" software and design complaints

2019 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4.......Basic premise: The truck is mine, I should be able to configure what I want to configure, and not be forced to submit to the nervous-nellie "you shouldn't do that" mentality of the designers.

1 - I recently towed a trailer. Now my display goes to "trailer status" no matter what I set it to, regardless of whether a trailer is connected or not.

2 - I inadvertently left one of the overhead map lights on. Happened to notice it from inside the house, went outside to turn it off. It is not possible to turn off this map light unless you get in the truck, close the doors, wait for the interior lights to go out, THEN turn off the map light. Fubar. The switch should turn the light off regardless.

3 - Dash buttons: If you turn on the engine braking, you cannot turn it off until you shutdown the engine and restart. The button right next to the engine braking is the traction control, which can be turned on and then back off using the switch without restarting. Why is the behavior of switches not the same?

4 - One can drive down the road and adjust the drivers seat in all manner of ways, For heavens sake you can even adjust the pedal positions while driving, which seems surprising. But to memorize or select a memorized seating position, the vehicle must be stopped! Totally irrational.

5 - I hate dingers. I truly DESPISE dingers. I want to be able to turn off all my damned wretched infernal dingers. This truck dings at me for everything, parking brake, seat belt, lights I WANT IT TO STOP DINGING. Its my bleeping truck, Ford, why can't I turn this irritating crap off!?! I dont want a $60K vehicle pissin me off! Sorry...did I mention I hate dingers?

6 - Every time I put the truck in park with the engine running, get out and shut the door, the horn honks twice! Why does the horn honk? What is it telling me? I know I left it running, I *meant* to! I want to start the truck on a cold morning, and go back inside and get my coffee and lunch, and the nice super quiet truck that I paid so much for HONKS THE BLOODY HORN and wakes people up for absolutely no reason. Totally illogical.

7 - The hood interior lights go out after a period of time. I guess the pinheads at Ford believe every underhood fix can be accomplished within their preordained hood light timeout. Stupid.

8 - I wont go into all the aggravation of the audio source being changed to AM static every time I shutdown and restart, that is addressed elsewhere by lots of others.

9 - The trailer controls wont let the driver change the brake gain setting unless the vehicle is parked. Wow, that's not enough gain for this heavily loaded trailer, I gotta stop to change it? Come on, Ford software weenies, have you ever towed a trailer? I want a different setting on brake gain at interstate speeds versus stop-and-go traffic. No can do without parking.

10 - Every time I unlock the truck, it lights up every external light on the thing. Very irritating when unwanted. I guess the Ford designers have never used their truck for camping or hunting or some activity where they might want to remain just a wee bit less obvious and irritating to others.

11 - The button to open the sunroof opens the shade as well. The button to close the sunroof does NOT close the shade as well.

12 - The behavior of these buttons (short press versus press and hold) is totally inconsistent from one button to the next. Some one touch does one thing while on another it causes different behavior. This behavior should be consistent across all switches. See also #3 above.

13 - With all this automation, why cant Ford give me a single button that closes all the windows, sunroof and back slider? Too much to ask that they think about utility and usefulness? Do any of the Ford designers and coders even live with their product?

Got any to add, please do.

If you know of a way for me to correct any of the ones I have complained about, please enlighten me. I am probably overlooking something obvious.

I wish someone would hack the OS on this thing so I can adjust all the stuff that Ford prevents me from adjusting.
 
  #2  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:14 AM
coriolis2k
coriolis2k is offline
New User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
coriolis2k is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am by no means an expert, so forgive me if I am wrong or have misunderstood something i read.
However, some of your complaints are mine as well. I will be taking delivery of my 2019 Lariat Ultimate next week and did quite a bit of reading
while waiting for it to be built. I found a thread, and if i knew how to link to it i would as there was a TON of good info there, on using a OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool to change a lot of those default setting......some, not all.

V/R
K
 
  #3  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:16 AM
coriolis2k
coriolis2k is offline
New User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
coriolis2k is starting off with a positive reputation.
Search for this:

FORScan Spreadsheet

 
  #4  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 AM
KCRebel's Avatar
KCRebel
KCRebel is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tupelo, MS
Posts: 111
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
They already have. Look for Forscan. Will take some work on your part to decide which items you want to change but once you get the scanner adapter, download the free software and license you can use the Forscan spreadsheet on here to change many of the annoying things you mentioned above.
Many of the annoyances you mentioned are addressed with the options in Forscan. I'll be honest I would have taken the truck back to the dealership if I wasn't able to make the changes at home so I totally understand your frustrations.
 
  #5  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Hjabernathy's Avatar
Hjabernathy
Hjabernathy is online now
Junior User
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Where The Road Takes Me.
Posts: 90
Hjabernathy is starting off with a positive reputation.
TRAILER BRAKE GAIN ADJUSTMENT - I HOPE NOT!!

I have a 2019 F-350 4x4 CCLB 6.7L on order. I pull a travel trailer most of the time; Iím a full time RVer. I have a manual trailer brake controller in my Toyota Tundra that is connected through the factory jack. I often adjust the trailer brake GAIN (power) and SYNC (rate of power application) while driving. I increase both when going down steep grades, and back them off in town. PLEASE someone tell me that the complaint above about not being able to adjust the GAIN on the trailer brake controller unless the truck is stopped, and presumably in park, cannot be modified. PLEASE tell me I can adjust the GAIN while driving! If the Ford engineers really did that, well, I would consider it BRAINLESS. Anyone know who I can ask at Ford about this?
 
  #6  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Hjabernathy's Avatar
Hjabernathy
Hjabernathy is online now
Junior User
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Where The Road Takes Me.
Posts: 90
Hjabernathy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Forscan Scanner Choice

KCRebel beat me to posting. I have never owned a Ford and am on a STEEP LEARNING CURVE. I went to the Forscan.org web site and see five compatible scanners listed. Does anyone have experience with scanners and want to suggest or recommend a particular one? Of greater importance to me, has anyone tried and been able to change the trailer brake controller GAIN using Forscan such that the GAIN can be adjusted while driving?
 
  #7  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Lowmiler
Lowmiler is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Lowmiler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trailer gain: wait, what??

Of all the videos I’ve watched demonstrating Ford’s “superior” tow features, some of them at press demo days, not a single mention has been made of this strange configuration. Journalists talk about how silly some of the guidances features are, especially for seasoned towers, but have never mentioned it missing a critical feature like on-the-fly gain control. First time I’m ever reading about it here.

Is this really true??
 
  #8  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM
KCRebel's Avatar
KCRebel
KCRebel is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tupelo, MS
Posts: 111
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy View Post
KCRebel beat me to posting. I have never owned a Ford and am on a STEEP LEARNING CURVE. I went to the Forscan.org web site and see five compatible scanners listed. Does anyone have experience with scanners and want to suggest or recommend a particular one? Of greater importance to me, has anyone tried and been able to change the trailer brake controller gain using Forscan such the GAIN can be adjusted while driving?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HJ this one worked perfectly for me using a PC laptop. My only issue was the switch was either wired or labeled backwards. Took me a few attempts with the Forscan guys (who are incredibly awesome btw) to figure out the mistake. So the solution for me was to have the switch flipped opposite of the instructions and prompts. Lol. Likely I would get the only one wired wrong or labeled wrong in the world but that was my only issue.
I'm right there with you being on a steep learning curve as well so it isn't just you.
Still looking for a good wireless scanner that I can leave in and use to read gauges, etc on my phone or iPad on trips.
 
  #9  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 AM
banditg2000
banditg2000 is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 85
banditg2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was able to change the gain while driving. Also, I would not want the sun roof to open without opening the shade. If not driving while opening it I may not notice it's open with the shade closed and then a heavy rain would ruin the interior.
 
  #10  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:02 PM
alabamatoy
alabamatoy is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Madison USA
Posts: 63
alabamatoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by banditg2000 View Post
I would not want the sun roof to open without opening the shade. If not driving while opening it I may not notice it's open with the shade closed and then a heavy rain would ruin the interior.
Totally agree. The shade is separately controllable, they give you and open and close switch for it. My point was that when you open the sunroof, the shade opens as well, which is logical. But when you close the roof, the shade does NOT close, which is illogical to me.
 
  #11  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 PM
alabamatoy
alabamatoy is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Madison USA
Posts: 63
alabamatoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have
one of these BT dongles one of these BT dongles
already, purchased for another vehicle. If it will work with this forscan tool, then I will try that.
 
  #12  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:09 PM
alabamatoy
alabamatoy is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Madison USA
Posts: 63
alabamatoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Complaint # 14 - I pulled into my driveway a short time ago, parked (put it in park) set the parking brake, and got out, leaving it running. It honked at me as usual, and almost 20 minutes later, its still sitting there idling. The auto shutdown feature appears non-functional. Is there something I am missing? I live on a very steep hill, with a very steep driveway, would like to let it auto-shutdown to cool things off before stopping the flow of oil to the turbos.
 
  #13  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM
A&Pmech
A&Pmech is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 305
A&Pmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
The trailer status coming on all the time is likely because you still have an active trailer selected in the towing menu.
 
  #14  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:31 PM
A&Pmech
A&Pmech is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 305
A&Pmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by alabamatoy View Post
2019 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4.......Basic premise: The truck is mine, I should be able to configure what I want to configure, and not be forced to submit to the nervous-nellie "you shouldn't do that" mentality of the designers.

1 - I recently towed a trailer. Now my display goes to "trailer status" no matter what I set it to, regardless of whether a trailer is connected or not.

2 - I inadvertently left one of the overhead map lights on. Happened to notice it from inside the house, went outside to turn it off. It is not possible to turn off this map light unless you get in the truck, close the doors, wait for the interior lights to go out, THEN turn off the map light. Fubar. The switch should turn the light off regardless.

3 - Dash buttons: If you turn on the engine braking, you cannot turn it off until you shutdown the engine and restart. The button right next to the engine braking is the traction control, which can be turned on and then back off using the switch without restarting. Why is the behavior of switches not the same?

4 - One can drive down the road and adjust the drivers seat in all manner of ways, For heavens sake you can even adjust the pedal positions while driving, which seems surprising. But to memorize or select a memorized seating position, the vehicle must be stopped! Totally irrational.

5 - I hate dingers. I truly DESPISE dingers. I want to be able to turn off all my damned wretched infernal dingers. This truck dings at me for everything, parking brake, seat belt, lights I WANT IT TO STOP DINGING. Its my bleeping truck, Ford, why can't I turn this irritating crap off!?! I dont want a $60K vehicle pissin me off! Sorry...did I mention I hate dingers?

6 - Every time I put the truck in park with the engine running, get out and shut the door, the horn honks twice! Why does the horn honk? What is it telling me? I know I left it running, I *meant* to! I want to start the truck on a cold morning, and go back inside and get my coffee and lunch, and the nice super quiet truck that I paid so much for HONKS THE BLOODY HORN and wakes people up for absolutely no reason. Totally illogical.

7 - The hood interior lights go out after a period of time. I guess the pinheads at Ford believe every underhood fix can be accomplished within their preordained hood light timeout. Stupid.

8 - I wont go into all the aggravation of the audio source being changed to AM static every time I shutdown and restart, that is addressed elsewhere by lots of others.

9 - The trailer controls wont let the driver change the brake gain setting unless the vehicle is parked. Wow, that's not enough gain for this heavily loaded trailer, I gotta stop to change it? Come on, Ford software weenies, have you ever towed a trailer? I want a different setting on brake gain at interstate speeds versus stop-and-go traffic. No can do without parking.

10 - Every time I unlock the truck, it lights up every external light on the thing. Very irritating when unwanted. I guess the Ford designers have never used their truck for camping or hunting or some activity where they might want to remain just a wee bit less obvious and irritating to others.

11 - The button to open the sunroof opens the shade as well. The button to close the sunroof does NOT close the shade as well.

12 - The behavior of these buttons (short press versus press and hold) is totally inconsistent from one button to the next. Some one touch does one thing while on another it causes different behavior. This behavior should be consistent across all switches. See also #3 above.

13 - With all this automation, why cant Ford give me a single button that closes all the windows, sunroof and back slider? Too much to ask that they think about utility and usefulness? Do any of the Ford designers and coders even live with their product?

Got any to add, please do.

If you know of a way for me to correct any of the ones I have complained about, please enlighten me. I am probably overlooking something obvious.

I wish someone would hack the OS on this thing so I can adjust all the stuff that Ford prevents me from adjusting.
1. Active trailer selected.

2. Pretty sure you can still just hit the light switch again, it'll go off with the other lights as it's powered because you have the door open.

3. I just got my 2019 yesterday and haven't used the exhaust brake yet but my 2017 was not like this, it could be changed on the fly.

4. I kinda understand why they did this but I agree, it's stupid.

5. You'd have to use Forscan for those items that can't be turned off in the vehicle settings.

6. Do you have push button start? It'll honk to tell you your truck is running and the key isn't inside the vehicle. Maybe, if equipped, remote start the truck from inside the house?

7. Never realized this.

8. I read about people having this issue after updating their Sync software, however, I do not have this issue. Maybe the dealer can do an update?

9. I don't believe this was a thing on my 2017, I'm pretty sure I could change it on the fly. Haven't towed with the 2019 yet.

10. Forscan if not capable to disable in vehicle settings.

11. This is how most sunroof work. I would imagine it's to ensure the cover doesn't close without the sunroof closing.

12. I'm not familiar enough with this one.

13. This would be nice.
 
  #15  
Old 10-21-2018, 01:54 PM
alabamatoy
alabamatoy is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Madison USA
Posts: 63
alabamatoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by A&Pmech View Post
The trailer status coming on all the time is likely because you still have an active trailer selected in the towing menu.

I figured as much. I have made several attempts to unselect a trailer, and as yet have been unsuccessful. There's only one trailer entered, and as far as I can discern, there is no "none" option., And what kind of stupidity would have designed it to insist that the trailer is connected, despite the fact that the system knows it is NOT connected? I would expect it to be screaming at me that the connection has gone away! This would be desirable/useful behavior to me, hey fool, you have pulled the trailer connection accidentially! But alas, apparently not?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.