2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford "Sync" software and design complaints

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:27 PM
dksmith17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
I wonder if it's a federal regulation type thing where the wording is such that they HAVE to show the backup camera mounted on the vehicle...
Think so... it is a federal requirement in 18 that all cars when in reverse have to have a certain size view of camera. I can see how a trailer camera would not fly under their rules.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:46 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Like I mentioned...you can go to settings, vehicle, advanced settings, and de-select engine shutdown. The truck will run until it is out of fuel at that point. But if you shut the engine off and restrt, you will need to go into the menus and de-select again. That's why I assumed FORScan might be able to permanently disable this auto shut down.

I expect GM and RAM do the same. Ford isn't doing it just because they feel like it.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:09 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I know I will get blasted for this but leaving your kids in a running vehicle is REALLY UNSAFE. And ileagle in meny states.
Firs is the CO problem. The wind just right, or multiple other things could cause a buildup of exhaust gas in the cab.
second, there are a lot of things that can happen inside a running car, a malfunction, or one of the kids waking g up and changing from max AC to max heat on a 100deg day could have very bad results.
like I said before, if you left you kids in the car in my state, you would be arrested and probably have your kids removed from your home till you realize locking your kids in a car, running or not, is dangerous.
there are lots of stories about people how have done similar, got distracted or fell asleep, and no longer have kids.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:37 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Duplicate post...

Old 10-24-2018, 05:38 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by bobv60
I have found the opposite. If the truck is running when unplugged it will give the no trailer connected warning and keep putting miles on the trailer, and default to the towing page on startup.
with truck off it seems to select no active trailer on ownit's own.

I agree, the 2011 was much simpler. Once it shut off and restarted without a trailer connected, it would stop looking for a trailer and stop adding miles.
it also would give the no trailer detected if it lost connection while driving.
Originally Posted by Wayne64SS
Just as a tip if you unplug your trailer harness from the truck with the truck running it automatically selects "no active trailer" and this won't happen. If you unplug it with the truck off however it will think there's still a trailer attached and you'll get the annoying thing every time you start the truck until you manually select "no active trailer"
I've found the opposite as well. I usually unplug my RV while the engine is running. The question is has anyone with the issue had that TSB performed? And did it make the system behave like the 2011-2016 trucks?[/QUOTE]

Old 10-24-2018, 05:56 PM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mowjobs2
Is there an override for this? If not, this might be the shortest I’ve ever owned a truck.
Yes, there is a checkbox in advanced settings to deselect "auto engine shutdown". Or maybe its engine auto shutdown. something like that.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:58 PM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bridge
The question is has anyone with the issue had that TSB performed? And did it make the system behave like the 2011-2016 trucks?
What TSB? Can you provide any details?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by alabamatoy
What TSB? Can you provide any details?
See post #40.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:13 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
I know I will get blasted for this but leaving your kids in a running vehicle is REALLY UNSAFE. And ileagle in meny states.
Firs is the CO problem. The wind just right, or multiple other things could cause a buildup of exhaust gas in the cab.
second, there are a lot of things that can happen inside a running car, a malfunction, or one of the kids waking g up and changing from max AC to max heat on a 100deg day could have very bad results.
like I said before, if you left you kids in the car in my state, you would be arrested and probably have your kids removed from your home till you realize locking your kids in a car, running or not, is dangerous.
there are lots of stories about people how have done similar, got distracted or fell asleep, and no longer have kids.
Have a buddy whose wife left a sleeping newborn in her cherokee in the summer, just chatting a bit while dropping something off at a friend's house... engine blew, flames and everything, and totaled. No harm to the baby but man, tough lesson there...

Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
He did say he was leaving the windows cracked, and the HVAC was on and drawing in fresh air. I really don't think the CO is going to be a problem. Is it a best practice to leave the kids in the car? Nope. A running vehicle is an incentive for a thief to break the window and drive away, for one thing. A vehicle malfunction is another....unlikely, but possible.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
He did say he was leaving the windows cracked, and the HVAC was on and drawing in fresh air. I really don't think the CO is going to be a problem. Is it a best practice to leave the kids in the car? Nope. A running vehicle is an incentive for a thief to break the window and drive away, for one thing. A vehicle malfunction is another....unlikely, but possible.
With the new diesels, if a truck was stopped during a regen, the VERY hot exhaust can be a problem.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM
troverman
Hotshot
With the new diesels, if a truck was stopped during a regen, the VERY hot exhaust can be a problem.
In what way? Placing the transmission in Park immediately stops an active regen. But I've pulled into my driveway many times during an active regen and placed the transmission in Park and idled the truck for 10 minutes or so to let everything cool down. Nothing bad happens...in fact, idling the truck cools the exhaust parts quicker than just shutting the engine off immediately.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Mowjobs2
Freshman User
Well I guess some on this forum wouldn’t want to see the video of my 3 year old juggling chainsaws or my 5 year old paddling out at mavericks. Side note: still going to dealer to ask em to fix this shutting off issue so I can “keep my vegetables cold if I’m too busy to do it when I first get home” from the store.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Texaswilliam
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by wb6anp
There is not a none option but unless they changed it for '19 you can select, "No Active Trailer" option, also try disconnecting with the truck turned off. When I restart mine after disconnect. It tells me "trailer Disconnected" and goes back to my default screen.
Mine does not work this way. Unless I disconnect the trailer with the engine running, it still thinks I have a trailer attached and keeps adding miles until I can go in and tell it that no trailer is attached.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM
alabamatoy
Mountain Pass
Another design complaint to add to my list: Having to RE-select "tow/haul" after every restart even when there is a trailer connected. This is dumb, and probably will contribute to some fried trannys and maybe a engine or two. Tow/Haul should stay selected as long as the trailer that was connected when tow/haul was selected remains connected.

Quick Reply: Ford "Sync" software and design complaints