2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Powder coat OEM wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
How do you etch the Chrome PVD to allow the PowderCoating to adhere? There are posts where the PVD peels off. Maybe better to remove it entirely. To me, a more reliable solution is a set of aftermarket black rims. I like the look of them too. But I ain’t letting Ford off the hook on warranty with the PVD.
PVD is a completely different animal than chrome. Preparation of the substrate is key here. Going to be expensive and then if not prepared correctly will start to fail. Going to be more $$$$$ to do it correctly than to start over. Just sell the wheels and buy some already the color you want. PVD is some TOUGH STUFF that is why they use it and it is NOT even close to being a "powder coat process"...….

Old 10-14-2018, 01:59 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
NOT even close to being a "powder coat process"...….
Below is from PPG in regards to their process of PVD and PPG is also the OEM supplier of the finish for Ford and many other OEM's. There is also a 56 page document on the PVD process but this is the short version.

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) coating is an alternative to the standard chrome plating method used to coat aluminum vehicle rims. PVD is a layering method, which sandwiches a metal alloy in between a base and top coat of powder coating. A raw aluminum wheel is sprayed with a powder coat base. The wheel is then placed into a vacuumed chamber with a metal alloy cathode. The metal alloy cathode is then arced to create metallic ion plasma, which is then deposited onto the wheel in an even coating. Once the metallic coating is complete, the wheel is sprayed with a clear powder coat to ensure maximum durability.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Below is from PPG in regards to their process of PVD and PPG is also the OEM supplier of the finish for Ford and many other OEM's. There is also a 56 page document on the PVD process but this is the short version.

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) coating is an alternative to the standard chrome plating method used to coat aluminum vehicle rims. PVD is a layering method, which sandwiches a metal alloy in between a base and top coat of powder coating. A raw aluminum wheel is sprayed with a powder coat base. The wheel is then placed into a vacuumed chamber with a metal alloy cathode. The metal alloy cathode is then arced to create metallic ion plasma, which is then deposited onto the wheel in an even coating. Once the metallic coating is complete, the wheel is sprayed with a clear powder coat to ensure maximum durability.
Thank You! That illustrates my point exactly and can get into the finite process however, while you are Googling look at HVOF--that is the toughest stuff there is and what we use on the inside of landing gear main tubes now that the environmental police in Europe drove the change to the F35. Bad part is it is POS so it cannot be applied to intricate curved surfaces.

Powder Coat is applied in a very simple negative charged part positive charged powder process, then fired or heated in a moving oven for volume applicators for small ones just a large single chamber oven most of the time. Have seen it done many times. It started in the oilfield industry to coat parts. PVD is even used on firearms and is one of the most durable firearm coatings that exists.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:09 PM
MNSuper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plasti dipped mine. Good enough until I buy new wheels.

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2018, 06:12 PM
vib8r
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Actually PVD finished wheels are not hard to strip at all. Simple sand blasting with a good quality media will have no problem.
We do it all the time at our powder coating shop.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:25 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by vib8r
Actually PVD finished wheels are not hard to strip at all. Simple sand blasting with a good quality media will have no problem.
Glad you said that. My local shop said the same. Quoted me $60 per wheel to strip and powder coat. To me, that's a no-brainer since I prefer the factory stance and design.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Well there you have it. I have seen it done (did it to my vette wheels through an insurance claim and for all of the paint clear coat color was tiny spots easy to fix due to tiny chips all over in a road construction area got blasted 14k total) that way as well however, the simple powder coat is not nearly as durable over time as PVD but as cheap as it is to have done from others who posted it may be worth it to have new looking wheels all of the time…

Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 AM
vib8r
Junior User
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
the simple powder coat is not nearly as durable over time as PVD.
That statement is not correct. If the substrate is prepped correctly before powder coating the powder coat will last as good as anything out there, PVD included.
Problem is, some powder coating shops do not take the time to do the work that needs to be done in order to make it good. We have to charge $100/wheel to powder coat because we have over 4 hours for a set of 4 wheels just to prep the wheels. The powder is cheap but on top of that you have the oven run. it is not cheap to run a propane fired convection oven for a batch.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
That statement is not correct. If the substrate is prepped correctly before powder coating the powder coat will last as good as anything out there, PVD included.
Problem is, some powder coating shops do not take the time to do the work that needs to be done in order to make it good. We have to charge $100/wheel to powder coat because we have over 4 hours for a set of 4 wheels just to prep the wheels. The powder is cheap but on top of that you have the oven run. it is not cheap to run a propane fired convection oven for a batch.
Well if you say so. If your statement was in fact correct then why does the industry use PVD rather than simple powder coating? To say " powder coat will last as good as anything out there" is indeed a huge all inclusive statement I must say. Please post the empirical data to support this I am very interested indeed. Sorry this was not nice--the data does not exist.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:21 AM
vib8r
Junior User
The reason they use PVD is that it provides a different finish. The PVD is a chrome finish and you can not get a good chrome finish with powder coat.
We have had to refinish many PVD finished wheels because the finish was peeling. But, that said, I have had to refinish a lot of powder coating jobs done
by individuals doing powder coating in their garage that are not doing proper prep work and using cheap (Harbour Freight/Eastwood) equipment and home kitchen
ovens for their process. Also, up here where we have much more severe winter conditions, the salt and brine solution they use to combat ice sure has it's effects on
wheels, under carriages and body finishes that you don't see in your area. I am not trying to argue with you, I just notice you have some issue with powder coating.
I have been in the powder coating business for over 20 years and my experience has been that if the substrate has been prepped properly, you use good quality
powder and good application and curing equipment, the powder coat finish will stay as good if not better that most finishes out there.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:59 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do powder coating for a living. My policy on wheels is if they have every been mounted to tires they must be stripped. Silicone in the tire shines people use do not mesh with painting of any kind. I will send off the wheels to be chemically or hot sand stripped and then when they return they are ready to powder coat.

I tell people all the time on wheels, unless you really really like the wheels you have you would almost come out cheaper buying new than going through the process of stripping and powder coating.

I am more on the industrial side of powder coating and don't charge a lot to paint them in our standard colors but as with all paint/powder coating jobs, the money is in the prep.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
The PVD is a chrome finish and you can not get a good chrome finish with powder coat.
This will be my last post on this subject as there seems to be a disconnect here on the knowledge base of the other poster and where the industry is on this.

PVD is available in MANY colors lol. As I mentioned above it is being used now as one of the most durable finishes available for firearms. It is not for me but Kimber a firearms manufacturer makes colored weapons using PVD. Small mom and pop shops are not historically PVD processors/applicators if you will as it requires more much more capitol, investment in equipment, people and process. .

This link is utilized only because it gives a good "overview" of what is available in todays market with respect to PVD and colors.

In the end it is the individual who is having the work done and the more they are factually informed the better decision they can make as it is their throat their razor as they say.

Last comment look for an ISO 9001 approved source if you are having PVD done. Yes more expensive most likely BUT you will have confidence the process is being performed as it should.

https://www.bendplating.com/new-pvd-colors/

Old 10-27-2018, 03:55 PM
tdsutton
New User
Update

Just a quick update, I decided to have a RetraxPro tonneu cover and Magna Flow exhaust with black tips installed instead of powder coating OEM wheels and exhaust. Pics coming soon!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:02 PM
tdsutton
New User
Pictures

ReTrax Pro and Magna Flow exhaust

Last edited by tdsutton; 10-27-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 10-27-2018, 04:45 PM
LAPII
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out the Lasco ford build on YouTube...he powder coated his oem rims.....very nice.