Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Powder coat OEM wheel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558633-powder-coat-oem-wheel.html)

tdsutton 10-13-2018 08:23 PM

Powder coat OEM wheel

Has anyone powder coated their 2017-18 F250 OEM chrome wheels? If so can you post pics? Thinking about getting mine power coated gloss black. Also thinking about power coating my stock exhaust tips gloss black.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ed2c3a754.jpeg

tdsutton 10-13-2018 08:26 PM

OEM wheel

OEM wheel that I want to get powder coated gloss black

mhoefer 10-13-2018 08:34 PM

Powder coating PVD Chrome probably not going to work well. Plus if chrome yes, not the aluminum PVD rims IMHO.

tdsutton 10-13-2018 08:50 PM

Is there a reason you think the PVD is not a good idea to powder coat?

CBEllis 10-13-2018 09:08 PM

A good shop can do it. My local guy recommened satin black (vs. matte vs. gloss) so that's what I'm probably gonna go with.

ford390gashog 10-13-2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by tdsutton (Post 18248249)
Is there a reason you think the PVD is not a good idea to powder coat?

Well PVD is already technically powdercoated. So you would have to blast the wheels or it will not work when in the oven. Also the exhaust tip is going to be very cost prohibitive to powder coat simply based on the size and how expensive high heat powdercoat is.

tdsutton 10-13-2018 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by CBEllis (Post 18248281)
A good shop can do it. My local guy recommened satin black (vs. matte vs. gloss) so that's what I'm probably gonna go with.

Good to know, send me a photo when you have it done.

tdsutton 10-13-2018 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18248283)
Well PVD is already technically powdercoated. So you would have to blast the wheels or it will not work when in the oven. Also the exhaust tip is going to be very cost prohibitive to powder coat simply based on the size and how expensive high heat powdercoat is.

Didn’t think about the size of exhaust, I might just go with the MagnaFlow exhaust with the black tips instead. Just weighing my options, thanks for the input.

Skikrazee 10-13-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by tdsutton (Post 18248207)
Has anyone powder coated their 2017-18 F250 OEM chrome wheels? If so can you post pics? Thinking about getting mine power coated gloss black. Also thinking about power coating my stock exhaust tips gloss black.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ed2c3a754.jpeg

I really like the look of your truck, I'm slowly trying to delete the chrome on mine too. did you have all of your parts painted or vinyl wrapped?

mhoefer 10-13-2018 10:24 PM

How do you etch the Chrome PVD to allow the PowderCoating to adhere? There are posts where the PVD peels off. Maybe better to remove it entirely. To me, a more reliable solution is a set of aftermarket black rims. I like the look of them too. But I ain’t letting Ford off the hook on warranty with the PVD.

tdsutton 10-13-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Skikrazee (Post 18248371)
I really like the look of your truck, I'm slowly trying to delete the chrome on mine too. did you have all of your parts painted or vinyl wrapped?

Thanks! It is all painted. The front and rear bumper, mirror caps and grille are painted body color. The front and rear emblems and fender emblems are painted two tone, body color and gloss black.

wildcard30 10-14-2018 05:11 AM

Being thinking about doing the same thing with my 20” PVD wheels. I guess it will all come done to the cost per wheel to get them powder coated. I’m sure the cost will go up if the PVD is a pain to strip off.

I’ve been looking at wheels and what I find that I like is about 1100.00.

So if the powder coating is close to that, it may be better to go with new wheel.

Subscribed.

vib8r 10-14-2018 05:50 AM

Any wheel has to be sand blasted if you want the powder coating to last. Also, any wheel can be done including a PVD finish.
The only issue is when a chrome wheel has the finish peeling. Sometimes it is very had to remove all the chrome to get a good finish.
Your powder coating guy is correct, try and stay away from a gloss finish because it is like paint on a car and shows all flaws.
A matte (not flat) or satin finish is best for wheels.

CO Wapiti 10-14-2018 06:24 AM

A friend of mine had his wheels on his Super Duty powder coated matte black a couple of years ago. I didn’t think it would look good for long but 2 years and many miles later, thy still look great. They were painted steel wheels though.

vib8r 10-14-2018 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by CO Wapiti (Post 18248598)
A friend of mine had his wheels on his Super Duty powder coated matte black a couple of years ago. I didn’t think it would look good for long but 2 years and many miles later, thy still look great. They were painted steel wheels though.

How the powder coat looks after years of service just depends on how they are taken care of. Any finish can go to crap if they are not looked after.
Also, the wheels have to be prepped right! Just a phosphate wash does not do it. The wheels have to be sand blasted to get a clean etched surface.
Just make sure the sand blaster is careful when doing aluminum wheels. You do not want to sand blast so aggressive that you go past the flat casting
surface into the casting pours. When you get into the pours it is hard to get a good finish because the pours open when heated and produce air pimples
under the finish.