Adding a sub/amp to the Sony System Question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Adding a sub/amp to the Sony System Question

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 PM
TX Crawler
New User
TX Crawler is starting off with a positive reputation.

This question has probably been asked/answered before but I couldn't find it (but, I didn't look that hard). I'm not looking for competition winning performance, just a little more bass -- is it possible to remove the Sony sub box and run the existing speaker leads to a mono amp with high level speaker inputs? I know the dsp cuts sub power at higher volumes but I don't ever listen above about 20 anyway....

Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by TX Crawler View Post
This question has probably been asked/answered before but I couldn't find it (but, I didn't look that hard). I'm not looking for competition winning performance, just a little more bass -- is it possible to remove the Sony sub box and run the existing speaker leads to a mono amp with high level speaker inputs? I know the dsp cuts sub power at higher volumes but I don't ever listen above about 20 anyway....
Hey TX Crawler, I just sent you a PM to help you with you questions.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Turbo Dog
Postmaster
Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.
??? Because you don't want everyone to know the answer?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog View Post
Not at all.
I just didn`t want take a chance of causing any problems or violating any forum rules that the moderators or administrator might not approve of because it included the name of a company, people, and a phone number.

No big secret at all and i`d be more than happy to share that info with you as well via a PM if you like.

Have a great day.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM
homerj
Senior User
homerj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gabor seems to have a lot of knowledge on stereo set ups.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Greg McMahon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
Not at all.
I just didn`t want take a chance of causing any problems or violating any forum rules that the moderators or administrator might not approve of because it included the name of a company, people, and a phone number.

No big secret at all and i`d be more than happy to share that info with you as well via a PM if you like.

Have a great day.
I'll take a PM on that. I was considering upgraded my stereo system as well

Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 PM
homerj
Senior User
homerj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes me to please

Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Sarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant future
Me Three....

Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Turbo Dog
Postmaster
Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.
I love how this is top secret...but I already added a sub.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 PM
landman873
New User
landman873 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love how this is top secret...but I already added a sub.

What did you do?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Kaadk
Junior User
Kaadk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TX Crawler View Post
Above 20? Generally I run at 5. Might turn it up to 7 if I need to drown out the kids in the backseat. Or maybe down to 3 if I need to hear the kids in the backseat.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Turbo Dog
Postmaster
Originally Posted by landman873 View Post

What did you do?
I had a Rock Fosgate Punch 10 added to a system that didn't come with a sub woofer for about $300. Once the plastic tool tray was removed it fit under the rear seat. There are slimmer options but they cost a lot more. Next I replaced the door speakers with JL Audio ones and added some sound deadener to the front doors. All in all it is a much better sounding system and I may still add an amp to the door speakers even though it already makes the mirrors shake.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
There is also room behind the drivers rear seat to install a kicker comp 12 shallow. That's what I have in mine, I just manipulated the sync 3 with forscan to the DSP and ran a 5 channel amp. Very easy especially with the changes in forscan.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM
PremierPOWER
Junior User
PremierPOWER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Please PM me the info as well

Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
The Sony DSP starts attenuating lower frequencies almost from the start. At vol 20 you are missing a huge chunk of the 200hz and below signal. They do this to protect the crap Sony speakers.

You can certainly do what you're looking for, and I'm willing to bet you would be pretty happy with it. Just get an amp with high level inputs, hook it up to your sub(s) and rock on. But just know you could be getting a lot more out of your setup if you corrected that DSP BS...although its probably a lot more involved than you want to get. You can also turn the DSP off using FORscan, but it might not sound that good with the stock speakers to be honest.

Get a box and an amp and go from there. There's options to fix it if you aren't happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.