2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adding a sub/amp to the Sony System Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 AM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
The Sony DSP starts attenuating lower frequencies almost from the start. At vol 20 you are missing a huge chunk of the 200hz and below signal. They do this to protect the crap Sony speakers.

You can certainly do what you're looking for, and I'm willing to bet you would be pretty happy with it. Just get an amp with high level inputs, hook it up to your sub(s) and rock on. But just know you could be getting a lot more out of your setup if you corrected that DSP BS...although its probably a lot more involved than you want to get. You can also turn the DSP off using FORscan, but it might not sound that good with the stock speakers to be honest.

Get a box and an amp and go from there. There's options to fix it if you aren't happy.
I'm very familiar with FORScan. Do you mind sharing the module you changed? You seem very knowledgeable. What are your thoughts on changing out my doors speakers to JL Audio C2-650 component front, & c2 coaxial rear powered off the factory amp with DSP change. Then swapping out the sony speaker with a different brand in the factory enclosure?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 AM
InkMing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gabar, you could PM me as well, if you don't mind.
Much appreciated.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 AM
KEVPOPPAPUMP
Junior User
May I get a PM for a better sounding system?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg McMahon
I'm very familiar with FORScan. Do you mind sharing the module you changed? You seem very knowledgeable. What are your thoughts on changing out my doors speakers to JL Audio C2-650 component front, & c2 coaxial rear powered off the factory amp with DSP change. Then swapping out the sony speaker with a different brand in the factory enclosure?
I honestly think any money you spend on top of that Sony DSP is just throwing good money at a bad solution. I think you'd be waaaaay better off ditching the stock DSP all together and using an aftermarket amp. You can disable the DSP alone so it gives a flat signal, but you'll have little control over time alignment if that's important to you. I'm happy I didn't have to deal with the Sony in my truck, it was much easier to upgrade, but its not that difficult if you want to. You can disable the DSP, and convert your output from your headunit to be a 4v low level signal. Just use a harness to plug into your head unit and run the RCAs to your aftermarket DSP or amps and you're good to go. Below are the options to do these various things in FORscan.

727-01-01 xx59 F8x8 xxxx - Enables Line Level with Optional Subwoofer (Aux 1) and Front Center (Aux 2) Outputs Enabled*
727-01-02 00xx - Disables Factory EQ Processing
(ACM As-Built)

* This string breaks down as follows:
5 = Variable Line Level Audio Output
9 = Enable External Subwoofer (AUX 1) and Internal Amplifier (Aux 2) (0 - Disable)
F = Disable Open Speaker Circuit Detection (w/Active FM Radio Antenna - Otherwise use a D)
8 = Front Tweeters Present
8 = Aux 1 Type: Mono Subwoofer and Aux 2 Type: Front Center

7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx
(APIM As-Built) - APIM change required only if you have Sony DSP before completing this mod.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tricon
I honestly think any money you spend on top of that Sony DSP is just throwing good money at a bad solution. I think you'd be waaaaay better off ditching the stock DSP all together and using an aftermarket amp. You can disable the DSP alone so it gives a flat signal, but you'll have little control over time alignment if that's important to you. I'm happy I didn't have to deal with the Sony in my truck, it was much easier to upgrade, but its not that difficult if you want to. You can disable the DSP, and convert your output from your headunit to be a 4v low level signal. Just use a harness to plug into your head unit and run the RCAs to your aftermarket DSP or amps and you're good to go. Below are the options to do these various things in FORscan.

727-01-01 xx59 F8x8 xxxx - Enables Line Level with Optional Subwoofer (Aux 1) and Front Center (Aux 2) Outputs Enabled*
727-01-02 00xx - Disables Factory EQ Processing
(ACM As-Built)

* This string breaks down as follows:
5 = Variable Line Level Audio Output
9 = Enable External Subwoofer (AUX 1) and Internal Amplifier (Aux 2) (0 - Disable)
F = Disable Open Speaker Circuit Detection (w/Active FM Radio Antenna - Otherwise use a D)
8 = Front Tweeters Present
8 = Aux 1 Type: Mono Subwoofer and Aux 2 Type: Front Center

7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx
(APIM As-Built) - APIM change required only if you have Sony DSP before completing this mod.
I'm honestly thinking just replace everything. Tap off the speakers at the amp in the rear and enter those wires into a JL FiX86. Remove the Sony sub entirely. Then adding a XD700/5v2 amp with some C5 components in the front and C5 coaxial in the rear. As for the sub, I would fab a small enclosure to house a single JL 10TW3-D4. I'm not sure where I would mount the crossovers yet. I like everything to be hidden and look OEM...

Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I'm honestly thinking just replace everything. Tap off the speakers at the amp in the rear and enter those wires into a JL FiX86. Remove the Sony sub entirely. Then adding a XD700/5v2 amp with some C5 components in the front and C5 coaxial in the rear. As for the sub, I would fab a small enclosure to house a single JL 10TW3-D4. I'm not sure where I would mount the crossovers yet. I like everything to be hidden and look OEM...
That system would be 1000x better than what comes from the OEM. If you're into quality music at all I think you're on the right track.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Greg McMahon
Junior User
Does anyone have a door panel off photo? I'm not sure if my front doors house 2 or 4 speakers. I'm being told if I have the sony system "which I do" then it consist of 10 speakers. "I should have a 6.5" sub and a 4" mid in each of the front doors." Just looking for a little confirmation while i'm traveling and have no access to my truck at the moment.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:20 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Does anyone have a door panel off photo? I'm not sure if my front doors house 2 or 4 speakers. I'm being told if I have the sony system "which I do" then it consist of 10 speakers. "I should have a 6.5" sub and a 4" mid in each of the front doors." Just looking for a little confirmation while i'm traveling and have no access to my truck at the moment.
You have 6x9s in the front doors and 6.5s in the rears. No super duty has ever had a 3 way component system in the front doors that I know of.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Brian_ct
New User
Me too

please PM me as well, as I get older I hear less!