Low Fuel Pressure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Fuel Pressure

Old 10-08-2018, 04:27 PM
scottz99
New User
scottz99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Low Fuel Pressure

I know this have been beat to death, but thought I would toss my experience in and get some advice. Last Sunday (of course on Sunday!) I has about 100 miles north of Denver, heading home towing my 5th wheel; about another 450 miles to go. After topping off with 19 gallons of diesel (tank was just under 1/2) I pulled back onto I-76 and before I got to the end of the on-ramp I got the "Low Fuel Pressure" warning. I continued a couple of miles to the next off-ramp; by the time I got there I had "reduced engine power", codes P008A and P0087 via my TorquePro app, a loud whine (low pressure pump?) and a rough running engine.

So, I'm sitting beside the interstate on Sunday afternoon trying to figure out what to do. The only option I really had was to change the fuel filters (I carry spares and tools). I drained fuel from both the OEM filters and my Donaldson filer (I have a Donaldson fuel/water filter separator prior to the OEM frame filter) and there was only a few drops of water from the Donaldson. After changing both OEM filters, I cleared the codes, the truck started right up (no whine) and never missed a beat for the 450 mile trip home, including going over Wolf Creek Pass.

So, what happened? I suspect that air got into the system, but how? It ran fine for about 6000 miles since my last filter change. Did re-fueling have anything to do with it? Do I have anything else to worry about like a bad low pressure pump? I changed the Donaldson filter as soon as I got home, so all three filters are new. I still have the old filters, any point in tearing them apart?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
As answered on another forum...

Do you use fuel additives? By chance, have you dropped one of the bottle seals into the tank? That is a known problem and does happen at times, not often but there are reports of it on the various forums.

I doubt tearing or cutting the filters apart is going to show anything of value. Did you save the o-ring? Have you check it for a slight nick? Are you sure the DFCM cup was tightened to the stops?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 PM
scottz99
New User
scottz99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Larrry; same answer I gave on other forum (can't get too many opinions). I forgot to mention, I use PM22 on almost every tank. I am real careful with the cap, foil & cardboard. Not to say I have not missed one, but I don't think so. The frame filter was tightened to the stop. I still have the o-ring; I'll take a look at it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: