Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy windshield wiper motor

Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
dannyual767
Freshman User
dannyual767 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Noisy windshield wiper motor

A few days ago I went to clean my truck's windshield and activated the washer switch. The pump spayed washer fluid like normal but as soon as the wipers started moving there was a lot of motor noise. It was definitely wiper motor noise because it only made the sound when the wipers were moving. Now at this point I haven't checked to confirm if it's the motor or maybe other wiper mechanical parts making the noise. It really sounds like its the motor, though.

I've never had any vehicle that had a windshield wiper motor issue. Any experiences would be welcome.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM
dannyual767
Freshman User
No one has had a noisy windshield wiper motor? I'm guessing its pretty rare. I've never experienced this in any vehicle I've ever owned.

I think I'll have some time this weekend to disconnect the linkages and isolate the motor. If I confirm that the noise is coming from the wiper motor, I'll replace it.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you can actually take the motor apart you may be able to "rebuild" it. Just seems these days things are meant to be throw away items. I was able to rebuild some switches and motor controls on my old Benz, but ti was built over 40 years ago.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dannyual767 View Post
No one has had a noisy windshield wiper motor? I'm guessing its pretty rare. I've never experienced this in any vehicle I've ever owned.

I think I'll have some time this weekend to disconnect the linkages and isolate the motor. If I confirm that the noise is coming from the wiper motor, I'll replace it.
Make sure you mark the linkage with a paint pen so you can put it back together exactly the same way it was...

Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 PM
dannyual767
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post

Make sure you mark the linkage with a paint pen so you can put it back together exactly the same way it was...
Thanks, CO! That's probably some really good advice and I'll be sure to do it.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM
dannyual767
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
If you can actually take the motor apart you may be able to "rebuild" it. Just seems these days things are meant to be throw away items. I was able to rebuild some switches and motor controls on my old Benz, but ti was built over 40 years ago.
I just "rebuilt" the garage wall control box for my Liftmaster garage door opener. The wall control box was triple beeping about every 30 seconds or so. Quite loud and very annoying while in the garage. I did a lot of research and found out that the problem was a couple of small capacitors that go bad. Someone on the Liftmaster forum posted a link to buy the correct capacitors for less than $2. They arrived at my house in two days and last night I pulled out the soldering iron. My wife helped me and we removed the two bad capacitors and soldered in the new ones. Installed back on the wall and no more loud, triple beeping. Everything works like new.

Yes, I would love to rebuild the wiper motor if it didn't take hours and hours to do. It sounds like a bearing or bushing is bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.