Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford VIN Errors

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:52 PM
inxces
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford VIN Errors

My 1994 Ford F150 XL erroneously comes up as base model based on its VIN number.
Why?
Where does the VIN indicate XL or base?
Is there any conceivable way of getting the VIN decoder system corrected?

Old 10-01-2018, 04:16 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is nothing specifically in the VIN that states or decodes into the trim level. The serial number can be used to cross reference with Ford records to determine specific options and packages installed on a vehicle.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:21 PM
inxces
New User
I'm trying to sell the truck. According to the buyer company's website, there was no XL in 1991-93, but there was in 1994. My truck clearly says XL on both fenders. But when I give them my VIN, their analyzer says it comes back as a base model. And that makes it worth less than half as much to them!

I was hoping there was some way to specifically identify this error or even get it corrected in the VIN system.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
"For 1993 the Custom model was dropped, as the XL became the new base model. Following the lead of the Aerostar, Ford Bronco, and Explorer, the Eddie Bauer trim line — featuring plusher trim and increased standard features — was reintroduced for 1995."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F...nth_generation)

Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have the VIN? PM me and I will pull the ford OASIS

Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Robert Long
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From

Wikipedia

Custom (1992–1993)
  • XL (1992-1997)
  • XLT (1992-1997)
  • Nite (1990-1992)
  • SVT Lightning (1993–1995)
  • Eddie Bauer (1995–1996, F-150, only)
  • 4x4 Offroad (1992-1997)

Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 PM
inxces
New User
Thanks all for the replies. The problem is not getting the info to me. It is trying to find a way for my truck to come correctly in the system for the buyer company. They don't give a crap if my truck says XL right on the side unless the system they use tells them via the VIN it is an XL....

Old 10-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by inxces
I'm trying to sell the truck. According to the buyer company's website, there was no XL in 1991-93, but there was in 1994. My truck clearly says XL on both fenders. But when I give them my VIN, their analyzer says it comes back as a base model. And that makes it worth less than half as much to them!..
I don't get it. They want to give you MORE money if your truck is a stripper?

What exactly is this website that is the last word in Ford truck value?

Why can't you simply move on with "well, if you don't want it..."?

Why knock yourself out for an obtuse buyer?

Are they offering you some ridiculous amount & carping "If it was ONLY a REAL XL"?

Old 10-02-2018, 10:29 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
I was under the assumption that XL was a base trim package. Do they get any more basic than that?

Old 10-02-2018, 10:37 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. The problem is not getting the info to me. It is trying to find a way for my truck to come correctly in the system for the buyer company. They don't give a crap if my truck says XL right on the side unless the system they use tells them via the VIN it is an XL....
You seem to be skipping over the info giving to you about your '94 XL right here in this thread.

To put it simply,your '94 XL IS the base/stripped down/beater with a heater model.There is no lower trim package in '94.The XL became what the "custom" used to be.I think your thinking that there must be a F-150-F450 Non labeled/blank trim or NON XL model but this isn't the case.The minimum the fender tag is going to read is "XL"
Then it goes to the XLT (then there are the other more uncommon trims as pointed out as well.)

when I give them my VIN, their analyzer says it comes back as a base model. And that makes it worth less than half as much to them!
She is the base.She is what she is I'm afraid.If they wont give you enough for your truck,don't sell it to them.Find another buyer.
Just because it's an XL doesn't mean it couldn't have some of the XLT trims standard upgrades as options.It could have air conditioning for example,which should increase the value a tick but these trucks are so old now,it's likely to make such a small difference even if someone ordered power windows over the cranks (though I'm not sure if that was an option for the xl,I doubt it?) etc.etc.It's the base model despite how many extra's were ordered so if your seeing a lot of extra's found in the XLT trucks,then selling it to an individual,not a co. who goes off the vin is going to be your best bet.Tell us though,out of curiosity, what extra's do you see in the truck?

Old 10-03-2018, 04:21 PM
inxces
New User
Now you are all really missing the point. It is irrelevant to me and to the buyer what options the truck has. The ONLY thing that matters is what model/trim it is. It says XL right on the fenders, so it IS an XL. It is irrelevant whether the XL is the base model, it is still an XL! But unfortunately, for some reason the VIN indicates it is a base model and NOT an XL.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Look, obviously we can't help you or the buyer. My truck IS an XL. It comes back as a base model on EVERY VIN SEARCH, why? Because an XL IS THE BASE MODEL FOR THAT YEAR. Simple as that No two ways about it. SOME years the XL was NOT the base model, but for MY year it IS the base model.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:06 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
It's Ford and the VIN is nearly 30 years old. It should only matter what options It has from the factory or dealer installed, regardless what the base model comes back as.

Accept what you can't change or Call Ford to complain.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Now you are all really missing the point. It is irrelevant to me and to the buyer what options the truck has. The ONLY thing that matters is what model/trim it is. It says XL right on the fenders, so it IS an XL. It is irrelevant whether the XL is the base model, it is still an XL! But unfortunately, for some reason the VIN indicates it is a base model and NOT an XL.
Say six or say half dozen.Either way it's the same thing.We understand,the VIN search comes back calling it a base model.We all understand this.
We're trying to tell you why.The reason is because it is.Xl is base model for '94 or base model is XL for '94.Either way you want to slice it,it's not going to change.
If the buyer won't pay you more for a base/XL model over an XLT,then the buyer has that right.Most people wont pay more for base/XL model over a XLT.
Even if the VIN came back as reading "XL" instead of reading "BASE" the co is only willing to give you so much for a "NON XLT" if you will.
This is how it works.The more features a vehicle has,generally it's going to cost more over it's equivalent in a lesser trim.Be it called a XL or be it called a base,call it custom,call it nothing at all,call it basic,call it beater with a heater,call it plain Jane,call it super xl if you want lol,call it stripped down,non of these titles are going to make it an XLT.

It's not us not understanding here.Wish we could offer you something you'd rather hear but the XL on your fender badge means it's a base model and if we told you different it would just be a lie,my friend.The VIN decoder is correct in identifying your truck as the base model.
If this helps you more to have worded this way: In '94 there were no trucks that just say F150 -F450 without a XL or XLT ok? There is no "blank badge". The "XL" is the lowest trim possible.Hope that helps you get it.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 AM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Condition determines price on vehicles this old. Paperwork isn't worth that much. Someone is trying to scam you. Or you are trying to get more than the truck is worth.

Either way, there's no cure for stupid. Get on with your life.

Quick Reply: Ford VIN Errors