RATS! (the sequel).... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

RATS! (the sequel)....

Old 09-30-2018, 12:16 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Angry RATS! (the sequel)....

Well I got to take a long drive yesterday to get a used air compressor pump, but found another annoying lying craigslist seller instead - so the pump purchase was a bust. But on the way there, I started hearing a rattling sound -- seemed like it was coming from center of dash area. At first it only happened when I slowed down, then went away as I sped up. Then I heard it on the highway. Next thing I notice is noise has stopped but I only have air coming out of my defrost vents. It was that way the rest of the way to the lying CL'er and all the way home... Bummer...

I have been chasing a rat infestation up by the house for sometime - particularly in our RV shelter, where the truck and other vehicles are parked -- been going through TomCat Meal Bait like TP and so far they seem to have died before destroying anything (they "try" to nest under the truck hood, and everything else parked outside, but I see the bait mixed in their nests). I've got 20 "bounce" dryer towels tied and stuffed all over under the hood, but they ignore them. Yesterday before I left I found a chewed through wire on the Jeep (it was throwing a CEL for O2 sensor) -- so my bet is on the 6.0 they chewed through either a vacuum line or something else that makes the blend door operate. I didn't see anything obvious at first look, other than the critters have been all over and chewed through the plastic wire protector on some wires by the vacuum pump.

I ordered 4 electric rat zappers as the next escalation of "war"...

Have friends coming from out of town in a couple hours, so might not get a chance to do much until Thursday...

Did I mention I HATE rats?!

Scott

Old 09-30-2018, 01:01 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Old 09-30-2018, 01:47 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Jack! I think you shared that A24 unit with me before. My Wife thinks the tree squirrels are cute and "how could they possibly be the problem". So I have made all my bait stations with smaller holes and have had to lock them down (I think I've had raccoons and skunks go after the bait - no loss there...). Anyway, the do-it-yourself models didn't look like they worked all that well with Rats, so we're going to try the zappers up under the hoods... Thinking about glue boards too

Yur Rat hating friend,
Scott

Old 09-30-2018, 02:00 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Yep, I have. That guy tests everything. For rats you have to build bigger and get more creative then a rat. Done that.

Squirrels, furry tree rats that eat my plastic fuel cans and yard equipment fuel caps or tanks over the winter. They ate a hole through the wooden siding of the farm house to get a winter home. No love here.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 AM
markw365
Junior User
markw365 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You looking for an air compressor pump? I've got a devilbiss 2 stage here, model 300. It turns over, but I don't know what shape it's in. I'd say it needs overhauled, the compressor it came off of rusted out the tank. Free for the taking, I can toss it in the back of the truck next time I head to Crows Landing for an event. (scca)

Old 10-01-2018, 06:36 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
Well I got to take a long drive yesterday to get a used air compressor pump, but found another annoying lying craigslist seller instead - so the pump purchase was a bust. But on the way there, I started hearing a rattling sound -- seemed like it was coming from center of dash area. At first it only happened when I slowed down, then went away as I sped up. Then I heard it on the highway. Next thing I notice is noise has stopped but I only have air coming out of my defrost vents. It was that way the rest of the way to the lying CL'er and all the way home... Bummer...

I have been chasing a rat infestation up by the house for sometime - particularly in our RV shelter, where the truck and other vehicles are parked -- been going through TomCat Meal Bait like TP and so far they seem to have died before destroying anything (they "try" to nest under the truck hood, and everything else parked outside, but I see the bait mixed in their nests). I've got 20 "bounce" dryer towels tied and stuffed all over under the hood, but they ignore them. Yesterday before I left I found a chewed through wire on the Jeep (it was throwing a CEL for O2 sensor) -- so my bet is on the 6.0 they chewed through either a vacuum line or something else that makes the blend door operate. I didn't see anything obvious at first look, other than the critters have been all over and chewed through the plastic wire protector on some wires by the vacuum pump.

I ordered 4 electric rat zappers as the next escalation of "war"...

Have friends coming from out of town in a couple hours, so might not get a chance to do much until Thursday...

Did I mention I HATE rats?!

Scott
Please say it isn't so!!!!

As far as Tom Cat bait goes, I know it can work, but it is going to attract them before it kills them. I learned the hard way (had a travel trailer almost destroyed) that they will live long enough after eating that stuff to do a LOT of damage. Now I put that bait a good distance away from what I am trying to protect.

I also found that the liquid stuff works better than the solid stuff.

I put it in quail "waterers".

https://www.qcsupply.com/230132-moto...ouse-bait.html

https://www.ebay.com/p/Rite-Farm-Products-Quail-Chick-Safety-Waterer-Drinker-Base-Quart-Jar-Chicken/892750890?iid=162520622948&chn=ps

Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Brotherbillstruck
Junior User
Brotherbillstruck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You could always try a natural control method. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tff9l4...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
I truly hate varmints. With dogs and cats I always worry about any diseases they can be exposed to by the blood. At the farm along with snakes and deer its been mice, rats, squirrels, ground hogs, and skunks. I still have a scar on my finger where a squirrel bit my finger. Whacked it with a shovel so me and the squirrel could go to the ER, the squirrel getting tested for rabies. No way did I care to go through the shots if it got away.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
Originally Posted by markw365 View Post
You looking for an air compressor pump? I've got a devilbiss 2 stage here, model 300. It turns over, but I don't know what shape it's in. I'd say it needs overhauled, the compressor it came off of rusted out the tank. Free for the taking, I can toss it in the back of the truck next time I head to Crows Landing for an event. (scca)

Thanks for the offer! I've owned DeVilbiss compressors before. I'm looking for a slow roller, thumpity thump type unit -- have a Curtis E-57 that is frozen, so looking for those 1st. Again, thank you for the offer though...
Scott

Old 10-02-2018, 01:25 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
Originally Posted by bismic View Post

As far as Tom Cat bait goes, I know it can work, but it is going to attract them before it kills them. I learned the hard way (had a travel trailer almost destroyed) that they will live long enough after eating that stuff to do a LOT of damage. Now I put that bait a good distance away from what I am trying to protect.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Rite-Farm-Pro...0622948&chn=ps
Talk about a head-slap moment!! THANK YOU Mark! The damn bait is so good it is bringing them in -- moving the stations outside as soon as I type this. I deployed the electric zappers last night with zero hits - going to put the tomcat inside as an attractant next....

Gotta' run, but great advice!
Scott

Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
Originally Posted by bismic View Post

https://www.ebay.com/p/Rite-Farm-Products-Quail-Chick-Safety-Waterer-Drinker-Base-Quart-Jar-Chicken/892750890?iid=162520622948&chn=ps
Mark I hadn't had a chance to look at your links until just now, but Tomcat uses different killing agents in different products - the one you are using in liquid form is a 4-6 day kill anticoagulant. The products containing Bromethalin are the ones I'm using (1-2 day kill), in fact I've been only using the Meal Bait for some time. Here is a comparison I found:
Rodenticide Comparison Chart - Hawk, Just One Bite - Backyard Style

Regardless your advice of getting the bait away from the vehicles makes SO much sense -- I now have all my bait stations outside the RV shelter with only electric zappers inside, one placed right where the most active bait station was. I'm hoping for some "happy hunting" tonight... Thanks again for your help...
Scott

Old 10-03-2018, 11:14 AM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
So the Zapper placed right where the most active bait station was, and using the TomCat Meal Bait as the attractant, worked last night (I think I might move one to the second most active station's spot):

He's taking a nap - tired from all the wire chewing...

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Leo Whitlock
New User
Leo Whitlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
another product to try is Kaput, it's made to work on ground squirrels. It sure works on rats and mice. Check at your farm supply store. It is worth having them to order it , if they don't carry it.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Ahhh, he was cute. It could have been a pet with a little training.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:38 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Ahhh, he was cute. It could have been a pet with a little training.
I'll be thinking about how cute he was while I'm soldering the O2 sensor wire on the jeep and trying to figure what else they've "partially damaged". Moved one of the Zappers and changed bait -- we'll see how we do tonight...

I need to do some reading on diagnosing my blend door on the truck -- should have time starting tomorrow as Wife leaves for an 8 day camping trip with her Gals...
Scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.