6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

RATS! (the sequel)....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:09 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Too bad you live in "That state". I would say blasting would do the trick if you could use something other than sound.
A .22 and rats can be fun and the scavengers clean up the leftovers.
So, I have a new building I don't want holes in, and all my vehicles either, then there are neighbors -- some of them cops and they wouldn't take kindly to a small hole in one of their kids windows... I wouldn't even do .22 shotshell...

But I'm kind of running with the "rent-a-russell" idea... A little more fence work and I could keep them in. In for a week, no rats for 2 months - maybe longer...

Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Oh just go get one. Mine's 15 now and a bit tired but he will still get a squirrel. My Rat Terrier on the other hand is half his age but she has the lead in lifetime of chipmunk kills. We know when she gets them because she will line up her kills in the middle of the back yard and not come in the house until we come see her new "toys".

Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The Jack Russell Terrier are sort of like the Savanah cats when it comes to energy. That is why I have more than one.
They can wear each other out. I am also finding that a Siamese cat goes well with the Savanah. Little Zander thinks he
is as big as Bella is and runs her all over the place. he is only 6 months old and just over 8 lbs.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Oh just go get one. Mine's 15 now and a bit tired but he will still get a squirrel. My Rat Terrier on the other hand is half his age but she has the lead in lifetime of chipmunk kills. We know when she gets them because she will line up her kills in the middle of the back yard and not come in the house until we come see her new "toys".

Good Dog! Time for a snack I see.How do you like your squirrel? Blue rare you say. We can do that.

So what do you do with the bodies in the closet with all the other skeletons?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:38 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I know what you do.
You invite the chef over to cook a quick snack.

If not that then how about this?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too bad you live in "That state". I would say blasting would do the trick if you could use something other than sound.
A .22 and rats can be fun and the scavengers clean up the leftovers.
that’s exactly what my 22mag is for , Gophers , scope them in far away , the problem with Rats , 1 they are fast, 2. when they see you there gone, 3 I hate shooting up my barn lol, gophers are human smart , the schools they go to teach Hawk ,but no match for a 30 grain 22 mag if they would just sit still , I have loads of fun during Irrigation , my old Dog was a great hunter , for every Three I would get , old dog would bag 7, just need to stay back when he got one , old dog was not nice to gophers slinging everywhere ,lol
Scott I take it the party continues Rat Salsa or tango, anyway hope the sound wave does Rat brain damage .

Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
True rats are fast. The trick with this I was told is to go shooting at the county dump at night when they come for the chow line.
You get settled in and wait till you hear noises and then flip on the lights and pop a few of them. Turn the lights off and wait for
the next batch to show up and start to chow down. Turn the lights on and take a few shots. You can do that all night long.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
The ultrasonic units came in yesterday and got them set up before the Wife and MH got home. I can hear some of the sounds these things make, and to be honest it irritated me! If I'm working out there I will have to turn them off... Will keep you posted on my testing... Scott: a .22 mag for rats and gophers?! Isn't that a bit of over-kill (so to speak)?? I take out ground squirrels with my tack-driver of a .22 LR Remington 581 and 6x Weaver -- got one at about 75 yds a few years back... I have a .22 mag, just need something larger to target...
Scott

Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Back in the old days when chemicals were ok to order we used to make trail traps. You know the string thing that
when you pull on it is went bang. Well I never tried it but it gave directions on making a rodent trap. Put a blob of the
stuff on some cardboard with some food on top while it still set and once it's dry set it out. The stuff was so sensitive
that the slights touch and BANG. I never tried that bout did have fun with paper airplanes. Put the stuff on the nose
and let it dry over night. Then just throw the airplane and when it hit BANG. it would clear about 4" circle out of the grass.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Back in the old days when chemicals were ok to order we used to make trail traps. You know the string thing that
when you pull on it is went bang. Well I never tried it but it gave directions on making a rodent trap. Put a blob of the
stuff on some cardboard with some food on top while it still set and once it's dry set it out. The stuff was so sensitive
that the slights touch and BANG. I never tried that bout did have fun with paper airplanes. Put the stuff on the nose
and let it dry over night. Then just throw the airplane and when it hit BANG. it would clear about 4" circle out of the grass.
So THATS why you have a yellow truck(s) - you were a pyro-kid

Just Kidding -- so was I -- I blew up or burned most of my models (planes, etc.)... You ever see the Exploding targets up there? I'm sure they're outlawed by now in CA... Went to a friend's to do some target shooting with and he had one - When we hit it it not only was a big boom, it also made a big ol' fireball! Funny part is I ran into the same friend a month or so later and he had family up and they put one of these up against a pine tree and it went off and burned the tree down!

So today got the Jeep O2 sensor replaced -- didn't even need the special wrench; I was lucky and the old one broke free with just an open end wrench from below. Then I spent an hour stuffing bounce towels under the Diesel Pusher MH -- I sure hope they don't come loose and go into the cooling stack!

Scott

Old 10-12-2018, 08:39 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Scott it’s the quietest one I have, other alternitive wound be deer rifle or 357 mag, it does make a mess out of gophers though , you never know a blind Hawk or coyote could be around , I use to shoot , not at coyotes but to scare them back away from the house, especially when my daughter was little , now I leave them alone , they are helping me with the Rodent problem , just the other nite a couple were on the outside fence of the pasture, justa yippin away, as long as they don’t think my Cattle are dinner , I’ll leave them be,
I never did make a good piro , stuffs way too hot .

Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Heck I even did the class B licensing course.
The down side is you don't get to really watch your work up in the air.
Your too busy making sure all the devices went off and if not making
notes that they had a failure to launch. Those are the ones that can kill
someone if not dealt with extreme care.

I like the thump and the effect up in the sky. So that sort of takes me away
from running a show from the bunker.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
CRAP!!! They're in our Attic! Got up twice last night to go to the bathroom and could hear them scrabbling around on ceiling above... Going to try putting one of the Ultrasonic units up there and then I have an idea where they may be getting in -- going to put a zapper trap down there. Close up that hole after a few days... Could close it up and put poison out right away, but that means dead rats inside...

I'm open to ideas...

Scott

Old 10-14-2018, 12:45 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Idaho.

.Or at cat in the hat (attic). It be away from eaters.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:37 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
The war continues , just like me , moved them from the barn , to war around the house , Scott are you on a raised foundation or slab? Mines raised , need to look for plumbing penetration through the floor , like drain lines cut outs , in the stud bay usually is cut at the top plate too , making a good way for them to gain access ,what I did was put lath wire in the holes then sprayed foam to fill it in , also some of my vent screens were knocked out underfloor and roof tops , then in the garage when the solor co drilled a big hole I seen Rats prints and dirty marks around that , I used lath wire and hot mud , also big holes around my brick fireplace in the garage , I used lath wire and mortar and filled clear to the roof , you can get lath wire at any homedepot , just be careful cut edges are very sharp but the wire is very strong , I’m ready to form a possie of FTE people and get these Rodents what they deserve

Quick Reply: RATS! (the sequel)....