1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help me read this transmission dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 PM
Maillemaker
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Help me read this transmission dipstick

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/EwrDw0w

I stuck it all the way in, with the engine running in park, hot.

I'm having a hard time deciding if it's full or not. The transmission slipped while driving a couple of times, making me think it's low on fluid. But I don't want to over-fill.

What do you think?

Steve

Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
It’s always hard to read the transmission level.

What i do after pulling the dipstick is lay it flat on a clean and dry paper towel - helps see where fluid stops

Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 AM
econovanfan1
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the red fluid is up in the cross-hatched area, so level should be okay. Like @seville009 said, lay it on a clean, dry paper towel to see where the fluid soaks in, other than that, you have to hold it up to a light and look for fluid reflection.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
You need to look at both sides of the dipstick. Find the lowest level where the stick is still dry. That's the fluid level.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just another thing Ford blew it on.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:21 AM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baddad457
Just another thing Ford blew it on.
I know on a Ford passenger car (I'm referring to RWD) the fill tube is usually straight and accurate readings are easy to see but on a van where you have a long fill tube with a curve or two you're not likely to get an undisturbed sample for reading.
How has GM or Dodge gotten around it?

Old 09-28-2018, 09:07 AM
James Doty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's straight up on my '86 Caravan, but I'm not sure most folks would call it a van.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:01 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay
I know on a Ford passenger car (I'm referring to RWD) the fill tube is usually straight and accurate readings are easy to see but on a van where you have a long fill tube with a curve or two you're not likely to get an undisturbed sample for reading.
How has GM or Dodge gotten around it?
I don't own the other brands. In the past Ford used a straight up steel dipstick and did for decades (in the vans too) It was never hard to read as these are. So you got to ask yourself, why did they change what obviously worked ? And unless you had a different stick to use to compare the readings, how do you know it's undisturbed ? This plastic tip on a 3 ft wire is pretty much useless to 99% of the people trying to use it. Another glaring example of some engineer's brilliance that's a dud in application.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:02 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm fairly sure Ford changed the trans dipstick to accommodate the construction of the E-Seiries which wouldn't really allow a straight-up tube. Add to that most people wouldn't bother checking the trans fill level if the tube wasn't conveniently located up front of the engine bay.

When checking my own with the white plastic tip I follow Mark Kovalsky's advice when and how to check the fluid level. As long as the fluid is showing on the cross hatched portion of that tip I'm good. I prefer running the fluid to the top of that mark but I don't check it every day either.

Also if a transmission slips there might be another issue presently or about to present itself at the worst time---if it does that again maybe have a trusted and qualified mechanic check it out.

BTW Steve if I missed it I'm sorry but it's always helpful listing your year, model and engine when starting a thread---engine size and fuel too are good things to know for us trying to help. Good luck with that slipping thing---hope its nothing serious.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by James Doty
I think it's straight up on my '86 Caravan, but I'm not sure most folks would call it a van.
You probably didn't notice, but a Caravan is front wheel drive while the E-Series is rear wheel drive. So in the Caravan the entire transmission is in the engine compartment. The transmission in the E-Series is MUCH further back. If the stick came straight up it would be between the seats. Most people don't seem to want the dipstick next to the inside the van.
I don't own the other brands. In the past Ford used a straight up steel dipstick and did for decades (in the vans too) It was never hard to read as these are. So you got to ask yourself, why did they change what obviously worked ?
Because as described above it won't fit. The transmission is too far back..
And unless you had a different stick to use to compare the readings, how do you know it's undisturbed ?
You can't tell the difference between a dry portion of the dipstick and a portion that has fluid on it? If not, there is no way I can help you. Read what I wrote. I didn't use the word "undisturbed." I said to look for the lowest dry point on the dipstick.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JWA
I'm fairly sure Ford changed the trans dipstick to accommodate the construction of the E-Seiries which wouldn't really allow a straight-up tube. Add to that most people wouldn't bother checking the trans fill level if the tube wasn't conveniently located up front of the engine bay.

When checking my own with the white plastic tip I follow Mark Kovalsky's advice when and how to check the fluid level. As long as the fluid is showing on the cross hatched portion of that tip I'm good. I prefer running the fluid to the top of that mark but I don't check it every day either.

Also if a transmission slips there might be another issue presently or about to present itself at the worst time---if it does that again maybe have a trusted and qualified mechanic check it out.

BTW Steve if I missed it I'm sorry but it's always helpful listing your year, model and engine when starting a thread---engine size and fuel too are good things to know for us trying to help. Good luck with that slipping thing---hope its nothing serious.
There's no curves or bends in the tube that would negate using a steel dipstick. I had a 69 Club Wagon and the stick was just about as long as this one is. And it worked. What I see here is the bean counters getting involved. But the solution didn't work. Funny you mention getting a mechanic to check it. That's the way they've been building them since at least 06. There is no dipstick now, or wasn't in the 05+ up Mustangs with an automatic. You HAVE to go back to the dealer to have the level checked. Another great marketing move. And job security.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:33 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky

You can't tell the difference between a dry portion of the dipstick and a portion that has fluid on it? If not, there is no way I can help you. Read what I wrote. I didn't use the word "undisturbed." I said to look for the lowest dry point on the dipstick.
I beg to differ. I had a 69 Club Wagon for ten years. And that dipstick was just as long. And it worked, even with it's pan fill C4 where there's a 90* bend at the transmission end. Have you ever tried to read the level on these ? If you had, you'd agree that it's damned near impossible. I've changed the fluid in mine twice now and both time it was a chore to figure out how much oil to add back to the proper level, Even more so when the fluid is hot. And I'm not some inexperienced neophyte mechanic. I've been wrenching on everything from cars to heavy equipment for 40+ years. I KNOW what I'm talking about. I give kudos where it's earned but not in this case. They could have at least chosen a better material for the end of the stick that allowed the fluid to be more easily read.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
You probably didn't notice, but a Caravan is front wheel drive while the E-Series is rear wheel drive. So in the Caravan the entire transmission is in the engine compartment. The transmission in the E-Series is MUCH further back. If the stick came straight up it would be between the seats. Most people don't seem to want the dipstick next to the inside the van.

Try positioning the end of the stick so that you can see the fluid reflecting light. The dry portion of the stick will be obvious.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:47 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I will use a small flashlight sometimes. At just the right angle it is very easy to tell wet from dry.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:16 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by super 6.8
I will use a small flashlight sometimes. At just the right angle it is very easy to tell wet from dry.
After you've poured 14 quarts of fluid down the tube, the whole plastic tip is smeared with fluid after shoving it down the hole and pulling it back out. In order to see anything, you'd have to drive it around and get it nice and hot to allow the fluid adhering to the walls of the tube to run down into the pan. Checking it after it sits for a day or so, then yea, you might be able to tell where the level is on that plastic but not otherwise.