2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Who will be next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Who will be next?

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/494194471.html

Just saw this on another site. Might be old news to some but new to me. Wonder who might be targeted next? I doubt few companies making tunes and tuners could survive a similar penalty. Sounds like these tuners were sold primarily to auto owners??? Larger market thus easier target??? It certainly could scare away other companies.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 AM
hiddentoken
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a couple of the SCT tuners back when I had my Mustang and they all came with an insert disclaimer in the box that said "for off road use only" or something along those lines. I wonder if this is the JD/EPA pushing back on that because we all know people just ignore the warning. My initial thought was that Derive was just a little too successful and couldn't fly under the radar any longer.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I think that's asinine.

Gun manufacturers sell guns. A buyer CHOOSES what to do with it. If he murders someone, he's guilty, not the gun manufacturer. He, not the gun manufacturer, pays the price.

If I own my car and I want to tune it, and it disables emissions equipment, that should be on ME, not the manufacturer.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is just a matter of time before they all will be gone. Eventually Uncle will make it too expensive to do business making and selling these devices -- better enjoy them while you can. I used to mod my oil burners extensively (engine mods, propane, tuners, exhaust) but no more. When you sell or trade them you have eliminated 99% of the resale market and I trade too often to worry about it plus the complication of the new fuel systems and getting something repaired on the road is unpalatable.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM
landman873
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpilot
I think that's asinine.

Gun manufacturers sell guns. A buyer CHOOSES what to do with it. If he murders someone, he's guilty, not the gun manufacturer. He, not the gun manufacturer, pays the price.

If I own my car and I want to tune it, and it disables emissions equipment, that should be on ME, not the manufacturer.
While true you can bet the lawsuits include the gun manufactures. Same way in a lot of accidents everyone who made a part on something is included. They know big companies will settle out of court for something.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpilot
I think that's asinine.

There's legitimate uses for firearms. The only use for a tuner is to remove all the emissions crap and give you more hp/tq. Small, but ultimately huge difference.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by landman873
While true you can bet the lawsuits include the gun manufactures. Same way in a lot of accidents everyone who made a part on something is included. They know big companies will settle out of court for something.
lawsuits against gun Manufacturers have a specific laws enacted to protect them. 15 U.S.C. §§ 7901-7903

Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
The Nissan tuner I used on my prior truck had to stop including a feature in their software to disable certain sensors. No surprise that they're going after companies that make it easy to bypass emissions.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
There's legitimate uses for firearms. The only use for a tuner is to remove all the emissions crap and give you more hp/tq. Small, but ultimately huge difference.
What if you were only interested in operating your truck off-road on your own property? At this point, the tuner would become acceptable.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
While I really hate to see this, I’m not surprised. The epa is a powerful thing and they are cracking down on the ways people are getting around their laws. With more and more people backing the climate change cause, it’s not going to slow down. It was already illegal to do this, they are just enforcing it now. I don’t really see the point in deleting. If you actually take care of the truck they are very reliable and you don’t need to delete them. If you just have to have more power, they make tuners that add power with the emissions still on so you can always do that. Maybe companies in the meantime can focus on getting more power with with the emissions still on?

In a little while, everything will be well on it’s way to becoming partially electric and then fully electric. Then companies will start coming out with mods for them and then you can mod away all you want because you’re not making emissions either way so they won’t be able to say anything. I just hope that the current tuners can stay in business long enough to fill the gap between now and when they go electric so we don’t have a gape where we can’t modify the vehicles at all.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:00 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by theboom
...With more and more people backing the climate change cause, it’s not going to slow down....In a little while, everything will be well on it’s way to becoming partially electric and then fully electric. Then companies will start coming out with mods for them and then you can mod away all you want because you’re not making emissions either way so they won’t be able to say anything.
Well, I disagree on a few things. First of all, we need to avoid the misconception of believing that electric vehicles solve climate change. They do not. They simply take scattered emissions and centralize them. It is naive to think that solar panels and windmills will be able to supply an entire EV fleet. Instead, we will be building more nuclear plants or more fossil fuel plants. And we will be embarking on a major infrastructure upgrade that will take a decade or more to realize, at a cost of trillions, that will be completed on the backs of internal combustion (diesel) construction vehicles.

As for modding EV's...well, the more battery you use, the more emissions you will be responsible for, since you will need more energy to recharge. Energy that likely will come from an unclean source. And this could be regulated and almost certainly taxed. For example, there could be a law stating you cannot use more than x number of kilowatts. Once the fleet is all EV, you will find the price of electricity rises dramatically. New taxes will be introduced to help pay for road repairs.

In the end, no EV can match the IC engine for it's characteristics which make so many people passionate about it. Namely, the sound, the smell, and the way it delivers power. A Tesla may be fast, but then again, so are some elevators...