6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Did the aftermarket quit on us?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 AM
dirty_sohc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the aftermarket quit on us?

Just curious what you guys think. It feels as though the aftermarket has stopped developement of products for our vehicle in favor of the EcoBoost trucks. There has been very little exhaust development, most companies just copied their previous exhausts and threw it out on the market and they are crap, except dynomax but I don't feel theirs is as good as it could have been. CAI's are being used form the Raptor but with no real information on whether or not tuning is required because we're all shooting in the wond. % Star Tuning has a tuner for us and looked as if they would be the go to shop for us but aain they are more worrried about the EcoBoost right now. (Yes, I know they area sponsor and I'm sure someone will get their panties in a wad)

I know the only real difference betweeen out engine an the raptor engine is cams and tune. This being said, almost everything should bolt on, with some obvious changes for chassis differences.

Rant over. I'm calling the guy that tunes my Mustangs and see if he can tune out trucks with the Raptor superrcharger bolted on since no one else seems to want to develope anything

Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I sure hope so! j/k

But...most purchase a SuperDuty...and don't mod them. So...IMHO...not much of a market for products from Owner's that don't mod.

Maybe wait a few years...and see if things pick-up...

biz

Old 09-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Knothole
Senior User
OK, but I have not seen the need for gizmos yet.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
I don't think they quit, it's more like they have not started yet. The 6.2L has not been out that long, and the only real performance application for it has been the Raptor.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the 6.2 is not going to be around many years, and the aftermarket most likely is not going to invest the money in a short run of engines. But, I could be wrong.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would make the 6.2L a short lived production run? What do you think would replace it?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 PM
dirty_sohc
Freshman User
Obviously product developement from the Raptor will eventually cross over to our trucks, since most products should be easily adaptable. The only issue being that we need to build more torque than horsepower since our trucks don't operate at wide open throttle most of the time. A well designed header, exhaust and CAI combined with proper tuning would be great, but as stated above these would all need to produce more low end torque, not rob us of driveability.

To address the statement above that"most people buying our trucks don;t usually modify their trucks". I'm not sure what trends you've been seeing in the truck world, but I see nothing but lifted 3/4 ton trucks here, 60% deisel 30% gas, all of which are modified. It doesn't matter what vehicle you drive, there is a specialty market for it as soon as they are released. There is always a market for simple bolt-ons.

I'm looking for properly developed products that actually produce useable power and driveability. Obviously I'm asking too much.

And who has some actual information about the supposed short run of the 6.2 engine? I don't how this can be true. It's a great addition to the Ford engine line up, it just needs more bottom end power.