Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ford LOBO

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I have a hard time believing that a flooded truck would clean up that nice. I think you'll be just fine.

These trucks have been very reliable here in North America but then again, the support network here is also quite impressive. If you need service or repair, can the selling dealer work on it competently? Are you able to purchase an extended warranty for that "just in case" issue that could pop up?

What's the typical culture regarding oil changes in your area? The truck requires 5W-30 oil and should be changed more frequently than most than most European vehicles. The oil change frequency is just my opinion and does not necessarily represent Ford's specifications or other opinions here on FTE.

BTW, your command of the English language is impressive. Please keep us in the loop on your decision and further questions / concerns.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, same in UK, there are garages that specialize in American cars and they sell big cars like the Chevrolet Suburban or Ford Expedition. I've been to Europe many times so I know it's not possible to buy a brand new F-150 from the Ford dealership.

Back in 1990, I would get excited every time I saw American cars in Belgium or Netherlands, they were more common there than other areas in Europe. In Amsterdam, I saw an American Chevrolet van ambulance.

I don't recall a major flood anywhere in Mexico in the past year. There weren't many hurricanes last year too. Mexican Lobo is made in the same plants as Canadian F-150.

If it is NEW as the dealer says.. with 50 miles on it.. then I'd go for it.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:04 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The F150 trucks are only made in two plants (Dearborn and Kanasas City). Also the F150 unlike the Superduty is not equipped with an Export option. The trucks all have 49 states emissions regardless and can be verified by vin. That's why it's very common to see XTR and Lobo trucks back and registered in the states. They frequently appear at manheim auctions. There is no licensed Ford truck dealer outside of North America that sells F150 or Superduty trucks. Pretty sure the importer in Iceland is Brimborg. This is handled through middle men and companies that specialize in importing. A brand new truck exported to Europe from North America would have no dealer network and no warranty.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:06 AM
F150-Stuttgart
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify something. The car with the salvage title (flooded) is not the LOBO annick is talking about. Its an XLT.
The LOBO is new and should have no history. The F150 is not being sold in Europe, but some official Ford dealerships do offer support for american models.
I asked a big dealership close to me (South of Germany). In case of a Recall I can go to them and they will take care of it.
The supply with parts for repairs or service is very easy and very quick. I already made some orders with rockauto.com.
They have realistic shipping cost and they ship really quick (international). Usually it takes 3 to 6 days until my order arrives!
What ford390gashog says is correct. You wont have any Ford warranty outside of america. But you have the option to sign a warranty contract with your dealer or any insurance that is offering warranties for cars.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I thought all Fords had Export options. All Ford Crown Victoria cars in Saudi Arabia had "EXPORT" papers on the window. I looked under the hood and I could not find stickers about emissions so I wasn't sure if they were the same as the North American models. It was also an extended wheelbase model, we didn't get that here in the U.S. and I wanted to bring one home.

I will be in Tijuana soon, I'm going to look under the hood of a Ford Lobo. It seems all 2018 EcoBoost models across the U.S., even in Texas, come with California emissions. I have not found one window sticker that didn't have "California Emissions" on it. I would LOVE to have a Ford Lobo here, it's only $45k for a Lariat 4x4 with EcoBoost but I know I can get it down to around $42k in Surman Ford in Tijuana. I should have bought one two years ago when the peso hit 21 for a dollar a couple years ago, I could have bought a new one for $32,000! Inflation has caught up so that's no longer possible. I'll just wait until the peso suddenly becomes weak again.

I've seen cars with 10 miles with "rain damage" on it. My friend drove around in an Audi A4 that was in a flood. I could not tell it was in a flood. The whole interior was replaced. Engine ran very well. The electronics were fixed, but he kept having electrical issues with the car. Sometimes dealers just let the cars get flooded so they can get insurance money.

I understand the Lobo does not have rain damage, but the Canadian F-150 Lariats are cheaper than the Mexican Lobo Lariat. I looked it up, only US$36,500 for a Lariat 4x4 with EcoBoost. In Mexico, it's US$45,300. Here in the U.S., it's US$48,400 so obviously Ford makes more money in the U.S. It's USD/CAD 1.29 and USD/MXN 18.90. As a very frequent international traveler, I am well-versed in this.

Before the Americans get the idea of going to Canada to get them cheap, Ford has been revoking dealer licenses for selling to the Americans since Ford has been losing money in the Canadian market. That is why Canadian dealerships make sure their customers aren't Americans and Ford has been carefully checking the VIN's in some states to make sure they're not intended for the Canadian market instead. There are ways for Ford to find out which Canadian dealership has been focusing on the American customers.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford Lobo cannot be registered in the U.S., that is why you will not find the VIN history.

No, a Ford Lobo can be registered in the US--at least in Arizona. My son acquired one after it had been impounded by the police and not claimed during the requisite number of weeks so it legally qualified as an abandoned vehicle. Got a clean AZ title as soon as it passed emissions and physical inspection. Then a buddy who worked at the local Ford dealership ordered him a new speedometer/odometer gauge and reprogramed it to the actual mileage. Finally he swapped out the Lobo trim pieces for F-150 parts and voila, a normal F-150.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM
Scott Stielow16
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The F150 trucks are only made in two plants (Dearborn and Kanasas City). Also the F150 unlike the Superduty is not equipped with an Export option. The trucks all have 49 states emissions regardless and can be verified by vin. That's why it's very common to see XTR and Lobo trucks back and registered in the states. They frequently appear at manheim auctions. There is no licensed Ford truck dealer outside of North America that sells F150 or Superduty trucks. Pretty sure the importer in Iceland is Brimborg. This is handled through middle men and companies that specialize in importing. A brand new truck exported to Europe from North America would have no dealer network and no warranty.
My 2015 Ford XLT came out of Kansas City. Reliable and dependable Truck. No Issues other than the seatbelt recall, but that does not bother me. Got it taken care of.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
No, a Ford Lobo can be registered in the US--at least in Arizona. My son acquired one after it had been impounded by the police and not claimed during the requisite number of weeks so it legally qualified as an abandoned vehicle. Got a clean AZ title as soon as it passed emissions and physical inspection. Then a buddy who worked at the local Ford dealership ordered him a new speedometer/odometer gauge and reprogramed it to the actual mileage. Finally he swapped out the Lobo trim pieces for F-150 parts and voila, a normal F-150.
My apologies, I was mistaken here. In the past, there was no way you could register Mexican-market cars in the U.S. but one pointed out Ford no longer makes "Export-Only" F-150's so the F-150's in Mexico and Colombia can now be registered in the U.S.

I have seen "Export-Only" on the windows of Fords in Saudi Arabia and even in Mexico so I assumed all Fords were that way. If you see "Export-Only" - there is no way you can register that in the U.S. and I assumed all Fords still had that overseas.

California only cares about emissions, they don't do physical inspection. The only thing they look for is the California emissions sticker. That was the reason I asked about EcoBoost.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I just called Tijuana and asked about Ford Lobo diesel, he said it's not sold in Mexico yet because the engine is low-sulfur and there are fuel stations in Mexico still using high-sulfur. There goes the idea of getting a Lobo Lariat diesel.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:12 AM
annick
New User
So, yesterday we finally made a decision and bought our first truck
A LOBO platinum. It's a new one, so hopefully we can enjoy it for many years

https://www.handiricars.be/stock/201...0-platinum-12/

It's was made in Dearborn Truck Plant, the sticker was still on it

Old 10-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I am still trying to figure out how to get it registered here in California. I am going down to Mexico next week!

Old 10-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a great looking truck. I wish you the best of luck with it. I was wondering what the price in Euros converts to US dollars. Do you know? Also, did you negotiate the price down a reasonable amount? My last question is how much is a gallon of gas selling for over there? Again, best of luck with the truck....

Old 10-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
59,000 euros is about $68,000. As for gasoline, it was about 1.50 euros per litre.. 3.75 litres per gallon.. 5.60 euros per gallon or about $6.40 per gallon. Don't know if she negotiated on the price though, she can answer that one

Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I am still trying to figure out how to get it registered here in California. I am going down to Mexico next week!

Have to bring it in used with 7500 miles or more or if you are a relocated active duty service member. Those are the only loopholes in the system. Alternatively you could wash the title in Arizona then register in Oklahoma and claim the sales tax exemption in California as you are transferring because of relocation. The last one is a grey area and should only be used on under value vehicles because you will pay tax in two states.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I'm a California resident. The 7,500 mile trick is ONLY for those moving to California, not residing in California. Could not register the 2015 F-150 stuck in Nevada. Since 2018, it seems all the EcoBoosts made by Ford are California compliant, I see "California Emissions" on the sticker of Ecoboosts sold in Texas. That wasn't the case in 2016.

The DMV keeps track of everybody who moved out. My friend moved back in 15 years later from New York and DMV still had his name in the system. If I moved out, the DMV will require that I owned it for two years prior to moving back so a new one's obviously out.

The title can be washed as much as it can be, but that won't fly. The DMV will look for a specific sticker under the hood: "California Emissions." If it does not have it, it cannot be registered, period, for a California resident.

That is why when I am in Mexico, I will be looking for that sticker. If it doesn't have the California emissions sticker, I can't buy it.

Quick Reply: Ford LOBO