Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Possible purchase of and 87 6.9 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Fordthewin17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible purchase of and 87 6.9 turbo

Ok guys, I am in the process of buying my first Ford diesel truck. I have heard good and bad about the 6.9. Now I have a chance at buying a 87 Ford F-250 with a turbo diesel on it, I also have a shot at an 84 Ford F-250 with just the 6.9 with no turbo. The 87 has close to 180,000 miles on it and is in pretty good shape. The 84 has 50,000 miles and is in EXCELLENT shape body wise. The only thing with the 84 is the fact that they haven’t ran it in a couple of years. So I have no clue how it runs or how much work needs done on it. Looking for some opinions on it as my boss says I should, my friend and Dad say I shouldn’t

Old 09-23-2018, 09:48 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
How much are they asking?

That would help with accessing which is better.

Just remember, truck IDI turbo kits turn up on Ebay and CL regularly for a few hundred bucks, so it's not hard to add a turbo.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
180k miles on a maintained truck is nothing.
50k miles on a 34 year old truck is a BIG red flag for me.
that means the truck has sat A LOT and will need tires, belts, hoses, batteries, probably brake lines. it probably has mouse nests all over the place, and damage to the wiring and electrical system due to said mice chewing on the wires.

you also need to remember neither of those trucks has overdrive trans, so they both will scream out on the road.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 AM
Fordthewin17
New User
Originally Posted by genscripter
How much are they asking?

That would help with accessing which is better.

Just remember, truck IDI turbo kits turn up on Ebay and CL regularly for a few hundred bucks, so it's not hard to add a turbo.
well for the 87 he is asking 4000 and for the 84 they are asking 3000. Also didn’t realize turns were that cheap.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:43 AM
Fordthewin17
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
180k miles on a maintained truck is nothing.
50k miles on a 34 year old truck is a BIG red flag for me.
that means the truck has sat A LOT and will need tires, belts, hoses, batteries, probably brake lines. it probably has mouse nests all over the place, and damage to the wiring and electrical system due to said mice chewing on the wires.

you also need to remember neither of those trucks has overdrive trans, so they both will scream out on the road.
Oh ok I figured I would be doing at least the brake lines, fuel lines and tires. Didn’t even think of mice chewing wires or having nests.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
IMHO, $3000 for the 84 with NA 6.9L that doesn't run is way too much. You'll be happier with the 87 6.9L turbo. Plus, you can test drive it. It's not like our trucks are rare, another is bound to turn up eventually.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Fordthewin17
New User
Originally Posted by Olds64
IMHO, $3000 for the 84 with NA 6.9L that doesn't run is way too much. You'll be happier with the 87 6.9L turbo. Plus, you can test drive it. It's not like our trucks are rare, another is bound to turn up eventually.
true. Also, does anybody have any tips on buying a older diesel like this?

Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 AM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tips for buying a diesel ..

Decide the configuration you want, auto or stick, 4x4 or 2wd.. Cab ect. What you like then search for it, or wait for it.

Be ready, everyone knows fords are the best bodied truck and it if you find 'the one' do whatever it takes to get there first, might sell quick.

Avoid 'got it started once, but it needs a new injection pump' doesn't run.. sales - unless the rest of the truck is A1..

Run the engine, never buy anything without hearing it run unless it's 400 dollars.

Insist the truck be cold started when you arrive, cool to the touch.

My truck sat 10 years before she became my daily Driver, but I understood and accepted nearly 1,000$ would need to be spent to make it roadworthy.

​​​​If it's the condition you seek, and you understand what it needs, but needs work, and you are capable, and the price is right. Go for it.
​​​​​
Show up with cash, and be eyes open to what it will need and cost...

I have put a lot, hundreds of thousands of miles on my truck in 8 years and it asks for almost nothing. But when the occasion calls you must be capable of doing repairs yourself, or a diesel is not for you.

Everyone said bad idea to me too, but I am still driving my same truck while their disposables come and go and cost money.

If you get a 4 speed it will Rev high, prepare for big tires or you will be staying off the highway. That said I love my t19 4sp.. Perfect tranny big minus OD....

Standard stuff, look for oil in water, look for water in oil. Make sure it's not hacked up by some 19yo hotrod..

Gets good mpg, not a comfortable ride, maybe high dollar shocks would help idk.. But people I don't recognize remember me an my unmistakable Ford. People point and give thumbs up, people ask daily if it's for sale.

Great overall, expensive upfront, lower cost downrange, affordable to drive, easy to maintain.

Look at the interior.. Seats, dash.. Frame.. Wiring.. Hear it run, drive it if it moves, look for a good body. Something we'll taken care of..

Good Luck, happy hunting.

​​

Old 09-25-2018, 01:15 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Because it is turbo and a 6.9 be sure to crawl under the truck with a flashlight on each side behind the front tire and shine up where the head meets the block and see if its oozing oil. It's pretty common, they updated the head gaskets somewhere along the line but I'm not sure when. It's not a big deal you'll just have to keep her topped up on oil. If you plan of putting a lot of miles on it it will get expensive over time. 87 is definitely the most popular year for the 6.9. 83-early85 had the block issues but neither of my motors ever cracked but one day they might..

If it's fairly straight, runs great, not a money pit 4000 is in the reasonable range, I've seen people asking way more, with cash in hand you could probably pick it up for $3500-3750

I also love my four speed, shift every gear without touching the clutch and it never complains, the lack of od is a negative for some but mine never sees over 55 so overdrive wasn't a concern.

I definitely recommend waiting if it's not what you want, I waited over a year before I found the combo I wanted and even got if for a great deal, reg cab/4spd/4x4

Society's only gift to the working man was a bricknose idi

Old 09-25-2018, 07:02 AM
Fordthewin17
New User
Thanks for the tips! Think I am going to go after the 87 and see what I can do. What are some of the maintenance and common repairs that you have to do besides oil changes and fuel filter?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel return lines are super common to need replacement

Fuel line "olives" they're like a squared oring available separately from ford or in a kit commonly sold as an injection pump install kit

They recommend you replace the injection pump and injectors every 100,000 miles

Glow plugs every 3-5 years depending on your climate, the 87 should have the newer style which last longer so you may very well get 7-10 years out of a set if your in the south