Which HPOP to replace - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Which HPOP to replace

  #1  
Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM
riverstroker04's Avatar
riverstroker04
riverstroker04 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: on the river
Posts: 89
riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which HPOP to replace

Have an 04 350 from what I have figuard out is that the HPOP ball bearing has gone out, hard start first thing in the morning and oil pressure gauge drops to zero at idle but jumps back up when I push the skinny pedal. Question Is I'm running 155cc injectors so do I go back with stock hpop or the adrenaline hpop?
 
  #2  
Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 PM
FICMrepair.com
FICMrepair.com is online now
SPONSOR
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,642
FICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by riverstroker04 View Post
Have an 04 350 from what I have figuard out is that the HPOP ball bearing has gone out, hard start first thing in the morning and oil pressure gauge drops to zero at idle but jumps back up when I push the skinny pedal. Question Is I'm running 155cc injectors so do I go back with stock hpop or the adrenaline hpop?
You can go back with stock and be fine from an output perspective (FORD OEM 6.0L V8 High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) for 2003-2004.5 models) but the stock pump has plastic parts in it that love to fail as well vs the Adrenaline pump with 12 improvements over the stock parts (2003-2004.5 HEAVY DUTY HIGH VOLUME FORD 6.0L / IH VT365 BILLET HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP (HPOP)).

Hope this helps!
 
__________________
Ed
[email protected]
---------------------------
A fleet of six 6.0's with various performance goodies added to them
  #3  
Old 09-21-2018, 10:20 AM
DarkStarMedia
DarkStarMedia is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 1,651
DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by riverstroker04 View Post
Have an 04 350 from what I have figuard out is that the HPOP ball bearing has gone out, hard start first thing in the morning and oil pressure gauge drops to zero at idle but jumps back up when I push the skinny pedal. Question Is I'm running 155cc injectors so do I go back with stock hpop or the adrenaline hpop?
If you are talking about the dash guage then it's low pressure oil pump that might be the issue. Your hpop may be fine. Is it an early or late 04 (ie is the icp on the pass valve cover)?

Richard
 
  #4  
Old 09-22-2018, 11:26 AM
riverstroker04's Avatar
riverstroker04
riverstroker04 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: on the river
Posts: 89
riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
If you are talking about the dash guage then it's low pressure oil pump that might be the issue. Your hpop may be fine. Is it an early or late 04 (ie is the icp on the pass valve cover)?

Richard
Morning, its the late 04. From what I've read there is a ball bearing that pops out of this stile hpop that let's the oil drain out of the top end of the engine. If it was the lpop issue then it wouldn't give the hpop enough oil to fire the injectors.
 
  #5  
Old 09-22-2018, 12:14 PM
DarkStarMedia
DarkStarMedia is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 1,651
DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.
If it's a late 04 with the ICP sensor on the passenger valve cover, it's not likely your HPOP. The later one almost never fail.

I would get an oil pressure gauge and check your base oil pressure. You can also pull the oil filter and hold down the drain valve while cranking to see how fast it fills.

Richard

EDT: after they went to the later pump it didn't really change till the end of production. it could also be a leaking STC fitting too. Unless I am getting my dates wrong I have only really dealt with the later motors.
 
  #6  
Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 PM
navistarnut's Avatar
navistarnut
navistarnut is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NW IA
Posts: 3,606
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Late 04 still has the early pump with the STC tube style that rarely fails(the fitting that is)

Time for an air test
 
  #7  
Old 09-22-2018, 04:37 PM
riverstroker04's Avatar
riverstroker04
riverstroker04 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: on the river
Posts: 89
riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by navistarnut View Post
Late 04 still has the early pump with the STC tube style that rarely fails(the fitting that is)

Time for an air test
you sir are correct! There is also a ball bearing inside the hpop that fails on these ones I'm guessing that's what it is from what I have tested well find out in a day or two when I take it apart.
 
  #8  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:39 PM
navistarnut's Avatar
navistarnut
navistarnut is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NW IA
Posts: 3,606
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
It's still possible you have an oil rail leaking down, with a hard cold start. Pull the ICP after it's been sitting overnight, if the oil is not right there at the top of the hole it might be the culprit.
This only works for the passenger side obviously. It could be the drivers side as well if this is the issue and would require pulling the valve cover and dummy plug.
Would hate to see you go through all the work of pulling all that stuff topside if not needed.
 
  #9  
Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 PM
riverstroker04's Avatar
riverstroker04
riverstroker04 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: on the river
Posts: 89
riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by navistarnut View Post
It's still possible you have an oil rail leaking down, with a hard cold start. Pull the ICP after it's been sitting overnight, if the oil is not right there at the top of the hole it might be the culprit.
This only works for the passenger side obviously. It could be the drivers side as well if this is the issue and would require pulling the valve cover and dummy plug.
Would hate to see you go through all the work of pulling all that stuff topside if not needed.
ok I'll check that in the morning, I have the air test fitting coming so I'll air it up before I take it all the way down. I did replace those about 30k miles ago when I did studs and EGR upgrade.
 
  #10  
Old 09-23-2018, 06:17 AM
bismic's Avatar
bismic
bismic is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17,805
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by riverstroker04 View Post
you sir are correct! There is also a ball bearing inside the hpop that fails on these ones I'm guessing that's what it is from what I have tested well find out in a day or two when I take it apart.
What testing did you do that pointed you in the direction of that pressed in ball?
 
  #11  
Old 09-23-2018, 07:56 PM
riverstroker04's Avatar
riverstroker04
riverstroker04 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: on the river
Posts: 89
riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
What testing did you do that pointed you in the direction of that pressed in ball?
ICP off oil still in oil rail, ipr at 85% when cranking icp desired pressure 1100, icp actual pressure 100+ then jumps up to the 1100+ truck fires and then dies next crank ipr 22% and icp 700+ truck fires and runs sits for an hour long crank repeat of above
 
  #12  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 PM
bismic's Avatar
bismic
bismic is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17,805
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Here is a recent thread where a person found the ball had come out. He describes his symptoms. Edit - after re-reading your first post in this thread, it seems more in line w/ the link below than what I got from your post above.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...04/index2.html
 
  #13  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:16 PM
TooManyToys.'s Avatar
TooManyToys.
TooManyToys. is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 6,753
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
I’ve never thought much about that part, or more to the point, the ball bearing. I remember reading one company had a pipe plug in that location. Mark, do you have any knowledge of what that part does and why it blows out? I had thought at some point that is was an over pressure plug, designed to pop. But that can’t be true if there is a pipe plug there.
 
  #14  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 PM
riverstroker04's Avatar
riverstroker04
riverstroker04 is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: on the river
Posts: 89
riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Here is a recent thread where a person found the ball had come out. He describes his symptoms. Edit - after re-reading your first post in this thread, it seems more in line w/ the link below than what I got from your post above.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...04/index2.html
thanks I have read a few different post on this form and some others that all say around the same thing although this one has more info than the others. I am waiting on the air test plug and a few seals that all should be here around Wednesday so I'll dig into her around the end if the week and update you all on what I find.
 
  #15  
Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 AM
bismic's Avatar
bismic
bismic is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17,805
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
I’ve never thought much about that part, or more to the point, the ball bearing. I remember reading one company had a pipe plug in that location. Mark, do you have any knowledge of what that part does and why it blows out? I had thought at some point that is was an over pressure plug, designed to pop. But that can’t be true if there is a pipe plug there.
I read it somewhere, just can't recall. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it again. I think it was in a Tech Time video that I no longer have access to.

It was put out in 08 and was where I first saw the discussions on cracked heads (fuel in coolant).

fordstar/66920.wmv

It was a great video on HPO components/issues/diagnostics. I've sometimes wondered if a Tech would be able to access this old training video.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.