6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Aftermarket Diff Covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 PM
amthatiam
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the Ford 08 and up finned cover, had the Mag Hytec on my 7.3 nice cover not worth the cost in my opinion

Dan

Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Well the one on it now is very well rusted.
I would be interested to talk about it.
Let me clear out my inbox. I went with another one because I wanted a drain plug.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
If the axle manufacturer offered an aluminum finned cover for higher GAWR versions of the axle, such as what Dana has done with their Dana 80, that Ford used to install in the F-450, then I would use that OEM cover in a heartbeat, no matter what conclusion the third video draws, and no matter what was said in the first two videos (I haven't seen them yet). The axle manufacturer is in the best position to know the most about the performance of their own axle products.

I'd go with what the axle manufacturer developed, and would assume that if the manufacturer saw fit to add an aluminum finned cover to one of their axles, they had a justifiable reason... because they are not in business to waste money on extra cost parts that have no real world benefit.... and their customers, like Ford, are constantly pressuring them to reduce every penny of product cost.

As it happens, my axle cover is seam welded to the housing, and there is no version of my axle that has a removable cover, nevermind a finned aluminum version of one. I once considered replacing the cover to the front axle, but couldn't find where Dana made one to fit the application and clear steering linkage, so I left it stock.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
If the axle manufacturer offered an aluminum finned cover for higher GAWR versions of the axle, such as what Dana has done with their Dana 80, that Ford used to install in the F-450, then I would use that OEM cover in a heartbeat, no matter what conclusion the third video draws, and no matter what was said in the first two videos (I haven't seen them yet). The axle manufacturer is in the best position to know the most about the performance of their own axle products.

I'd go with what the axle manufacturer developed, and would assume that if the manufacturer saw fit to add an aluminum finned cover to one of their axles, they had a justifiable reason... because they are not in business to waste money on extra cost parts that have no real world benefit.... and their customers, like Ford, are constantly pressuring them to reduce every penny of product cost.

As it happens, my axle cover is seam welded to the housing, and there is no version of my axle that has a removable cover, nevermind a finned aluminum version of one. I once considered replacing the cover to the front axle, but couldn't find where Dana made one to fit the application and clear steering linkage, so I left it stock.
Those are some of the main points that Gale makes in the videos. He states that this axle (in testing) is used by both Dodge and GM and even the fill levels differ due to the pinion angle according to their research. It's not that aluminum covers are inherently bad but it's the shape of the covers (the way they gain their extra capacity) that isn't as effective as the stock cover shape. As far as the extra capacity beyond a factory fill level, Gale keeps mentioning how the pinion is "buried" I guess alluding to the resulting viscous losses.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I still have the Mag Hytec because I’m too cheap to get the OE Ford aluminum unit, and wanted the drain.

Back around 2002 I got into a pi**ing contest with DieselSite Bob over these on TDS, and how much to fill. Mag Hytec wants you to fill to their level, which was way over the stock fill plug on the carrier. I said no, the fill plug level was consistent with industry practice, set in place within SAE if you think Ford was cheating out on a pint of lube. It got long with Bob saying M-H knew better. I think it was HaulinHorses2 that took his truck in for a pinion leak, the dealer mechanic drained the lube down to the carrier fill level and said try that. Pinion leak went away.

As Y2K pointed out, manufacturers spend a lot of time working out levels and details. If I ever have the desire to remove my cover I’d show the little flap I installed in mine to not have that ledge that blocks fluid movement. Unless it’s broke loose over the last 200k miles and has gotten ground up.

I do wonder what got a burr under Gale Banks saddle though. These ain’t new.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Speaking of pinion leak I have to deal with mine soon. Soon as after I get back from Eastern Washington on my little trip.
I think I will take an extra quart with me just in case it gets bad.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The newest video in the series. He mentions it being "video 2.2" instead of part three.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 448 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Speaking of pinion leak I have to deal with mine soon. Soon as after I get back from Eastern Washington on my little trip.
I think I will take an extra quart with me just in case it gets bad.
I had a little pinion leak before a 500 mile trip to west Texas when I had my 02 f150. By the time we got back differential oil was dripping from the pass side leaf spring, wheel well, bed, etc. When I tore it all down, the pass side axle had a .030" deep circumferential groove where it contacted the inner bearing race. I believe the replacement axle from Ford was around $450. Do yourself a favor, bring more than a quart and check it often.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
It held out well on the trip. I did check it partway and found the level to be good.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
New Product?

I smell a new product from Banks! The new cover will have a right inside and the cooling fins will give it the big bold FLAT look of the other covers. Basically a glorified stock cover with a dipstick.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
Banks new Diff Cover

Well, what do you know, a new product being offered!

Old 12-27-2018, 12:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Sold the Mag Hytec before the market bottoms , got me a Ford cover for less than half the sale price.

Don't need no stinkin' cooling ears at the bottom of the pumpkin to catch things on the farm.
Don't need no stinkin' sight glass either.
Painted and installed.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:09 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Sold the Mag Hytec before the market bottoms , got me a Ford cover for less than half the sale price.

Don't need no stinkin' cooling ears at the bottom of the pumpkin to catch things on the farm.
Don't need no stinkin' sight glass either.
Painted and installed.
BUT Banks is going to need a new dyno after that last incident.

Odd thought. With all the heat and oil in the pit I bet they could of make some deep fried parts.
I am not into oil with my french fries.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:49 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

The oil that came out of the MH cover, in there for 75k, looked really good with no sludge in the bottom cavity like it did with the intitial oil after 50k. Most wear IMO occurs during initial break-in. My filling always was to the stock fill and level port.

I wouldn't be worried about a Mag Hytec cover. I just took advantage of a situation I’ve thought about doing for a decade. I was pretty close to just putting the steel cover back on.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:28 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Crickets on this, unless I've missed something.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Diff Covers