Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

All Sorts Of Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 PM
campbellpardee8
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Sorts Of Leaks

Two main problems: Fuel tanks leak horribly and coolant is seeping out of the radiator, along with another spot somewhere in the engine.

So, what to do about the tanks? Can I drop them and reseal them myself, or do I need to get them done? It's leaking steadily from that rear tank, probably a quarter of a gallon after an hour of dripping. And because of the leaks, the rubber bushings for the rear's suspension are getting eaten away.

Then my coolant problem. I've known the radiator leaks for a while. Tried using those sealants that you pour in with the coolant, didn't work. What are y'alls recommendations for a replacement (links please)? The other leak I think I'm seeing is dripping from above the front drive shaft.

In the end, I've got a bunch of issues. Y'all think this is all fixable in a driveway? Or would it be worth it to just get it done at the shop?

Thanks,
Cam

Old 08-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 293 Posts
Cam, pretty much anything is fixable in a driveway if you are handy enough. The fuel tanks can be dropped and resealed. I've used this kit before to reseal a fuel tank.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900056-3

You can get fuel tanks pretty cheap for our truck from LMC Trucks but the problem is disposing of the old tank. Drop the tank first and see how bad it is. You can also have it restored by a shop.

The best way to fix a leaky radiator is to remove it and have it repaired by a shop. There are aftermarket radiators available. The Champion and auto parts store specials have questionable quality and the Mishimoto is expensive. FWIW, I just replaced my radiator with one from the auto parts store. It does have a lifetime warranty so that's good.

If your engine is leaking oil then welcome to the club. It could either be the rear main seal or the head gaskets that let loose at the back. How fast is the leak? You can check the CDR valve at the back of your intake manifold. If it's old and not working right it can cause excessive oil leaks. It's easier to change than head gaskets or a rear main seal.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 PM
campbellpardee8
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64
Cam, pretty much anything is fixable in a driveway if you are handy enough. The fuel tanks can be dropped and resealed. I've used this kit before to reseal a fuel tank.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900056-3

You can get fuel tanks pretty cheap for our truck from LMC Trucks but the problem is disposing of the old tank. Drop the tank first and see how bad it is. You can also have it restored by a shop.

The best way to fix a leaky radiator is to remove it and have it repaired by a shop. There are aftermarket radiators available. The Champion and auto parts store specials have questionable quality and the Mishimoto is expensive. FWIW, I just replaced my radiator with one from the auto parts store. It does have a lifetime warranty so that's good.

If your engine is leaking oil then welcome to the club. It could either be the rear main seal or the head gaskets that let loose at the back. How fast is the leak? You can check the CDR valve at the back of your intake manifold. If it's old and not working right it can cause excessive oil leaks. It's easier to change than head gaskets or a rear main seal.
Will one of those kits suffice for both tanks, or will I need to order two? Also, I might as well replace the floats and fuel lines while I'm doing it all - suggestions for those? I'll check out that CDR valve too. Hopefully that'll reduce some of my oil leakage, but my main concerns are the fuel tanks and radiator leak.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:24 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64

If your engine is leaking oil then welcome to the club.

This made me chuckle.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 293 Posts