What engine? Firing order? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

What engine? Firing order?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Matt Bruner
New User
Matt Bruner is starting off with a positive reputation.
What engine? Firing order?

We recently bought a 1966 F100 with a replaced engine and trans - Ford V8 and AOD transmission. Busy doing lots of little stuff, and learning a lot around here.

Issue - starts with a turn of the key, accelerates well at slow speeds. When the accelerator is pushed at around 45-50 MPH, it downshifts but won't accelerate well. A friend thinks the distributor is poorly set, and the engine is running out of advance. My understanding is that the TV rod causes the downshift, but there is nothing the trans can do to impede acceleration.

So to the timing. Timing based on #1 cylinder (driver, front) shows the timing to be maybe 30 degrees from the TDC to 10 degrees before range. After, if that makes a difference.

Weird. So I checked the plug wires, and checked them again. From the #1 cylinder, CCW on the distributor cap, I have 1-8-4-5-7-3-6-2. I could not find any Ford with that firing order. I was expecting 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

All indications are that I have a Ford 302, probably late 80s. I have looked for an engine ID "above the starter." Is it situated such that I have to remove the starter to see it, or am I looking in the wrong place?

I would like some experienced guidance before I pull all of the wires, set base timing and work it through.

Matt B

Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 PM
fivestarmmd
Senior User
fivestarmmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok 302? Dist turns counter clockwise Number 1 cyl Left side setting in seat Fire ord er 15426378

Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Yeah that is a windsor.. could be a 302 or 351 can't tell from that pic, if it is a pre '94 302 it should have the 15426378 firing order.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 AM
Crop Duster
Elder User
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If it is a 1980's 302 (5.0L) the standard engine is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 the HO motors are 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. The firing order should be cast into the intake manifold, if it is the original. You can check it by pulling #1, 3 an 5 plugs bring it to TDC #1, turn it over and see which cylinder comes up on compression next if it's 3 or 5 then you know which firing order you have. You probably have a Duraspark distributor so be sure you remove the coil wire from the distributor before turning it over with the plug wires disconnected, if you don't do that it can arc to the stator and cause bad things to happen. Post a picture of your distributor something doesn't look right but maybe it's just the angle the picture was taken.
I forgot to mention #1 cyl. on Ford V8's is passenger side front. I would suggest you buy at least a Haynes manual that has 80's and 90's 5.0's in it.

Last edited by Crop Duster; 08-15-2018 at 05:50 AM. Reason: More words
Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Matt Bruner
New User
Good advice on the Haynes-type manual. I do better with printed stuff anyway.

I was thinking the #1 cylinder was the driver side (old Chevy guy). Funny, first image I looked at online for Ford firing order,showed a front distributor and #1 on the driver side.

Thanks all! More comments welcome. I will also post results.

Matt B

Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Matt Bruner
New User

Old 08-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Crop Duster
Elder User
That distributor looks to be from a vehicle with EEC-IV, it's computer controlled. All you can do is set the initial timing and you have to disconnect a single wire connector, "that I can't see in your picture" to do that. Your acceleration problems may be more complex that you think. You are going to have to figure out exactly what you've got ,"year and model" in order to sort everything out. Worst case you can switch it to a regular distributor and carburetor. Is there an engine driven mechanical fuel pump on that engine?

Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Matt Bruner
New User
FTR, with #1 on the PASSENGER side, reading CCW on the distributor...

#1 is near the back of the distributor, firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Plans to pick up a printed manual today.

Crop, does the distributor look proper?

The firing order suggests that I have a 351 Windsor. Is that consistent with the photo(s)?

Matt B

Old 08-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Matt Bruner
New User
The intake says 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, but it appears to have been replaced. I have a 2-barrel Ford-style carburetor. Radiator hose comes from the intake, 6 bolts on valve covers, the intake rises up about an inch from the base of the distributor, lower thermostat bolt accessible with socket.

Matt B

Old 08-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Crop Duster
Elder User
Read post #7, that distributor has to be in a system with sensors they all need to be connected and working and from what I'm seeing in your pictures I bet they're not.
You could have a 351W or a 5.0 HO. Quickest way to tell is remove a spark plug bring the piston to TDC insert a small wood dowel until it touches the piston and mark it, move piston to BDC put dowel back in and mark it, if it's 3.5 inch stroke you got a 351 if not it's a 5.0.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Matt Bruner
New User

Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Matt Bruner
New User
Image of carburetor.

I see no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. It has an electric pump mounted to the frame.

The wires from the distributor - two go to the coil, and the balance appear to go to the voltage regulator - no computer box anywhere.

Thanks so much for you help!

Matt B

Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Matt Bruner
New User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
Read post #7, that distributor has to be in a system with sensors they all need to be connected and working and from what I'm seeing in your pictures I bet they're not.
You could have a 351W or a 5.0 HO. Quickest way to tell is remove a spark plug bring the piston to TDC insert a small wood dowel until it touches the piston and mark it, move piston to BDC put dowel back in and mark it, if it's 3.5 inch stroke you got a 351 if not it's a 5.0.
I saw your post after I made the reply. The exhaust manifolds have sensors, though they are not connected to anything.

Measuring...

Matt B

Old 08-15-2018, 01:01 PM
Crop Duster
Elder User
I think the voltage regulator you are referring to is actually the ignition control module. Like I said that distributor cannot work without sensors the engine may start and sorta run but it ain't going to ever work right. Your best and cheapest bet is to change to a regular distributor and the simplest way is to get one of those Chevrolet looking HEI's. But before you jump off that cliff you have to know for sure if your engine has a regular flat tappet cam or a roller cam. Because they use different distributor gear material and if you get it wrong it will destroy your cam.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Matt Bruner
New User
Sooo...
I measured and got a stroke of 3 1/8 inch, which I would accept as 3 inches over 3.5 inches. That would make the engine a 5.0HO, a 5.0 EFI or a 302. (more asking than saying) The intake appears to be replaced, so I am OK disregarding the firing order on it. If the firing order, is correct as the engine is currently wired, is 1-3-7..., that would eliminate the 5.0 EFI, 5.0, and 302. So I have a 302HO?

Is that a strong conclusion?

Matt B

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.