General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anybody know sandblasting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:55 AM
bradleyheathhays
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know sandblasting?

I'm trying to transition into commercial painting specializing in the horse farms around central KY and my first job involves taking down 11 heavy metal powder coated horse stall doors that have gotten somewhat rusted, sandblasting them then painting. I've done a lot of stuff but sandblasting isn't one of them. So I'm wondering just how does someone like me go about doing something like this. Do equipment rental places carry stuff like this? Other than handling the doors which I've got help for, is this blasting job something your average motivated joe can tackle?

Also, was wondering what'd be the best environment to get it done. The doors are installed in an all wood stable, and although a horse stall sounds like the ideal place to lean these gates up and blast away, I'd be afraid the wood wall behind it would disintegrate. There's another stable nearby that's made of cinder block which I imagine would make for a better staging area. These stalls are about 13 ft square which seems ideal for keeping the all the sand contained. I'm sure the wall would need repainting after everything was finished, but would a cinder block wall generally stand up to being hit with lots of sand?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:21 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Maybe if the competition isn't too stiff around there, you could get somebody to subcontract that part -- understanding that you would want to see how it's done for future jobs.

Probably have to pay more than you want, but it might be a skill you'll use a lot.

hj

Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
sandblasting is extremely dirty. you will have sand everywhere and in everything once done.
your best bet would be to remove them from the premises, and have them blasted somewhere else.
i have switched from dry sandblasting to water blasting, it is much cleaner, and usually faster. it also produces much less damage to the metal because the water reduces the heat caused by dry blasting.
we also no longer do it, it is cheaper in the long run to pay someone to do it.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sand blasting isn't rocket surgery, but I wouldn't do it on site and be prepared to prime it withing 24 hrs or less depending on humidity. Need to have mask, resperator gloves etc. Honestly it would be easier to subcontract. you would have to rent big compressor sandblaster and the media isn't cheap and usually bought in bulk.

Done my share of it on the pipeline, but never my equipment and the helmet/respirater always stunk like someone elses ..... well you know.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:43 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Sub it out, its going to burn way to many hours taking powder coat off of a round surface especially a gate. Send them out to a powdercoat shop. They will bake off the finish in a high heat furnace and do a clean up media blasting. It's not worth your time. Charge for R&R, transportation and add 15% mark up. Then start another project while you are waiting.