48-50 cigar lighter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-50 cigar lighter

Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 PM
3twinridges
Posting Guru
3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.
48-50 cigar lighter

so I happened up on this accessory, the cigar lighter. Any thoughts on how to wire it? It didnít come with instructions. Thinking the lighter element would hit the acc stud on ignition but what about the light? The light wire is longer which makes me think it hits another power source? Not sure if it is long enough to hit the headlight switch.

JB

Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
My guess would be the light is wired to the headlight switch so it only lights when your lights are on. I don't know much about 48 to 52 trucks but the lighter has a bracket, so it doesn't have a specified spot on the dash like the 53 to 55 trucks do? So mount the bracket close enough so the light wire reaches.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
I would wire it to the dash light switch.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:32 AM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Mixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to behold
It has an under-dash mounting. I would check for pre-drilled holes that match (I think there is a pair underneath the ignition switch). The lighter element should go to the load side of one of the circuit breakers, and like others have said, the light would go to the dash or headlight switch, whichever is most convenient. There is also a flat round spot under the ashtray where it could be installed in the dash.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
The one that came in my 1950 is mounted to an opening on the steering column, between the wheel and the dash. I can try to trace the wires for you later tonight, if still needed.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM
3twinridges
Posting Guru
3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.

The dash was pre-drilled and it mounted up nice. I hit the H stud on the breaker box and wired the light to the taillight circuit on the switch. I donít smoke but it looks cool and the real bonus is that now I can use my ford accessory utility light! It lit up nicely.

Thanks for the help.

JB

Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Now that is cool! I wondered why you wanted a cigar lighter. You've installed a lot of NOS parts lately.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
Can I use it to light my cigarette or do I have to buy a cigarette lighter?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
I am just a LITTLE envious of that light (and that's an outright lie!!). That is an awesome piece of accessory goodness right there!