Another TPMS question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another TPMS question

Old 07-08-2018, 12:18 PM
polarlys
Senior User
polarlys is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another TPMS question

I'm currently having an issue with my TPMS. Warnings activated on the dash and I checked the tire pressure. All within a few #'s but I adjusted them all the same while I'm at it. Cannot get the dash warning to clear. I lowered the pressure in the tires and re-adjusted to be equal thinking that the monitor may not read such a minor adjustment. Still not clearing. Just yesterday I was talking with my tire guy and he asked it the spare has a sensor. That I don't know so therefore here comes the question. On a 2015 - F-350 with stock 20" wheels might I expect the spare to have a TPMS sensor. I need to climb down and check the pressure and if it does I'm hoping it may resolve my dash warning issue.

ThanX all,
Roger from NJ

Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
For E rated 80 PSI tires (please confirm your tires and door info first), inflate to 78 PSI cold, drive a short distance to see if it'll clear and return back to your preferred PSI as long as it's above the alert threshold. For my 2011, TPMS will alert below 62 PSI. Normally this'll clear it but if that doesn't work, you'll have to run through the relearn, the process is in the manual. You start the process and then try to avoid messing up on the fourth wheel so you don't have to start over! The horn will honk informing you to proceed to the next wheel. My spare was as low as 40 PSI last time I checked it (and corrected the issue) but this didn't cause an alert so at least for mine, I don't think the spare has a sensor because the alert will remain on when using the spare (per the solid warning light chart).

Old 07-08-2018, 03:01 PM
polarlys
Senior User
ThanX Kper. You reminded me of something I learned a loooong time ago. "When all else fails, read the manual". I thought I had checked the manual about a month ago when this warning first appeared but your comment looked to be all greek to me so I guess I'd never read it carefully enough. I did find the spare low so that's one good thing that's come out of all this but I also learned that the spare is not monitored so for that reason not apart of my problem issue. I went for a drive and followed the manual directions and went through the "Tire Learning" process and now the light and warning are gone.

Anyhow. I owe you a beer next time I'm cruisin through Alabama. ThanX again appreciate the help.

Roger in NJ

Old 07-08-2018, 04:15 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Yeah, the spare isn't a tire I think about much on the truck but I always have one for trailers, out of sight out of mind I guess. Worst case half the recommended PSI is enough to limp the truck (empty) to a safer area. I carry a portable 30 amp Viair compressor but any time on the side of the highway is already too much time.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Do you have any 12 volt cellphone chargers in your truck? Or have you recently replaced one of your chargers? 12 vdc cellphone chargers are a known problem to the TPMS and can cause erratic errors.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 PM
polarlys
Senior User
No new electronics. I think my issue was strictly a physical thing and I was a bit slow in the following up with it. I balanced the pressure right away but never followed through with the re-set procedure.

ThanX all