IP question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

IP question

Old 06-24-2018, 04:57 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
FORD MEGA CAB!!! is starting off with a positive reputation.
IP question

I have noticed that after half throttle, I have no more power meaning the engine output is the same from half throttle to full throttle. It has new fuel filter and lift pump and the fuel restriction light does not come on so I donít think itís lack of fuel to the IP.

I have a general idea of how the IP works but canít think of what internally in the IP would cause this. My guess is something to do with the internal Governer or governor linkage but not sure. any ideas? Comming back from Amarillo Friday, going up a couple big hills, I was loosing speed (75 down to 68mph) with WOT. Hills used to not bother this thing at all with a light to no load.

7.3 with sidewinder and E4OD with 4:10s in the rear.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Did you check the cleanliness of the air filter yet?

Old 06-25-2018, 01:58 AM
Fixnstuff
Elder User
Fixnstuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
Did you check the cleanliness of the air filter yet?
What an excellent answer! Who would have thought of that, FIRST? Not me. I saw that the original poster (OP) is located in 'Guymon' and I wondered where is that and if there is anything about the environment there which would cause air filters to plug up more frequently.
The answer is YES. It's located in the Oklahoma "Pan handle" which was called "No Man's Land" until 1890 and one of the the things it's known for historically is big dust storms.
... The 1930s also brought the Dust Bowl, with Guymon situated in the geographical area that experienced the brunt of severe wind damage. One of the worst dust storms occurred on April 14, 1935, a date that many called "Black Sunday."
Source:
Oklahoma Historical Society - Guymon

The following page has two photos of two different huge dust storms approaching Guymon in the 1930's:
Local History ? Guymon

There are probably a lot of dusty gravel and dirt roads in that area.
Where I live in Western Washington State, we don't have dust storms, just long months of drizzly rain and the air seems clean all year long except that there is a lot of green pollen falling from the trees and from plants during the Spring & Summer months. It sticks on vehicles as if it has rooted itself there, even on the glass and requires some scrubbing to get it off. I would not be surprised at all if it can plug air filters over time.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
hturner12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hturner12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dont forget a stretched thottle cable.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:20 AM
Fixnstuff
Elder User
Fixnstuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by hturner12 View Post
Dont forget a stretched thottle cable.
Another EXCELLENT suggestion! The Throttle Cable. You may not be able to see anything wrong by simply looking it over, you'll need someone in the cab working the accelerator pedal to the floor and back while you examine the operation at the throttle lever on the pump as well as inspecting the cable while it's being worked.

I HAD THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOURS in a full size Jeep Cherokee, 1983 inline 6 258 cid that I bought from a car dealer and the vehicle was only 4 years old! No one, none of the mechanics they had or consulted with could figure out what was wrong with it and they had installed a completely rebuilt engine! They couldn't sell it because of THAT. I bought it anyway because I WANTED AND NEEDED THAT 4WD VEHICLE. About 2 weeks later the throttle cable completely failed to operate the throttle. What had been wrong with it in the first place was that the cable housing around the wire cable had SPLIT. You couldn't see it by just looking under the hood but when the throttle was opened with the accelerator pedal the inner cable was pulled out of it's housing though a split in the side of the housing and in effect this was like having a LOT of slack in the cable. It was only opening the throttle HALF WAY, when the accelerator pedal was pushed to the floor.

I was SURE HAPPY! For a $16.00 NEW throttle cable I had a 4 year old full size Jeep Cherokee (the last year those were made 1983) with all of the heavy duty options available from the factory and with a brand new engine! It cost me aout $1500 max in 1987 and it was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I put a LOT of miles on that truck, over 250k miles and in my opinion it was A TRUCK. It did some hard work for me in very remote areas and never failed me. I did burn up one torque convertor probably from hauling heavy loads up very steep mining roads out in the mountains but it failed in the city and I had a spare transmission and engine, so I just replaced the TC, went through the transfer case - (only needed new seals - maybe a new bearing but the chain was still fine) and replaced a broken transmission mount an it was ready to work out in the wild again. Later I re-did the manual lockout WARN hubs. That was sure a GOOD VEHICLE!

Anyway, YEAH, could be a bad throttle cable! You describe the EXACT SAME symptoms of what my experience was with a bad throttle cable.
Let us know what it turns out to be!