Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F100 Project

Old 07-19-2018, 03:13 PM
vonhef
Freshman User
vonhef has a good reputation on FTE.vonhef has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ZSK View Post
I saw your photos and had to make sure I wasn't looking at my own truck. You have good taste.

That is really nice!!!! I may copy you and paint the running boards black.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by vonhef View Post

All the brake lines have been replaced and the air has been bled from the system! The lines from the master cylinder were very time consuming! I am glad that is behind me😀
Nice neat plumbing on your lines..

Old 07-21-2018, 01:12 PM
EBEAR
Posting Guru
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
I hope not... or I did it wrong! Why do you think so?

Edit: I called Mid Fifties and they verified that the rear port of the MS/Prop valve is for the rear brakes.
Guess I'm the odd man out again , my after market corvette PBR upgrade is rear port to front brakes and I just assumed this was normal for all or most . After doing a little quick research there are a number of different masters that are rear to front . Glad yours is correct but it never hurts to check . I had to reverse mine which meant different flares so a bit of a pia but it's right now .

Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 PM
vonhef
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
Guess I'm the odd man out again , my after market corvette PBR upgrade is rear port to front brakes and I just assumed this was normal for all or most . After doing a little quick research there are a number of different masters that are rear to front . Glad yours is correct but it never hurts to check . I had to reverse mine which meant different flares so a bit of a pia but it's right now .
I appreciate the concern. When I get the engine running, it will be easy to determine if the lines are crossed..... the rear brakes will lock up too easily if it is wrong.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:34 PM
revamp1953f100
Junior User
revamp1953f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The brake kit is from CPP through MidFifty.com. Thanks.... my uncle said that the wheels were bought from a Ford dealer many years ago. I assume that they are factory Ford wheels... but I am not sure.
Hey Adam..following your post.. we've got a 53 F100 still torn down to chassis but installed Explorer rear axle (disc's) and a Mustang II front IFS. Got the brake lines run over to area we think that we can mate up with a future master cyl/prop valve. With cab sitting off to the side in shop we're thinking of installing a similar Mid 50 brake setup as you. Looking at your pic's it looks like your staying with your factory steering column. Did you get the Mid 50 brake pedal hanger and did it present an clearance issue with your column ? We'll be installing a tilt after market column at some point..mfg yet to be determined.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 PM
vonhef
Freshman User
Originally Posted by revamp1953f100 View Post
Hey Adam..following your post.. we've got a 53 F100 still torn down to chassis but installed Explorer rear axle (disc's) and a Mustang II front IFS. Got the brake lines run over to area we think that we can mate up with a future master cyl/prop valve. With cab sitting off to the side in shop we're thinking of installing a similar Mid 50 brake setup as you. Looking at your pic's it looks like your staying with your factory steering column. Did you get the Mid 50 brake pedal hanger and did it present an clearance issue with your column ? We'll be installing a tilt after market column at some point..mfg yet to be determined.

The brake pedal is close, but clears the column. The part that will be the closest is the nut that holds the threaded receiver for the rubber pedal. the tilt columns are a bit larger in diameter than the original, so it will be close. You may need to adjust the brake pedal to clear.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:53 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I had a 2" Ididit column on mine with the hanging brake pedal and have no issues..

Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM
EBEAR
Posting Guru
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
Does that setup have the brake pedal on the gas pedal side of the column John ?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
Does that setup have the brake pedal on the gas pedal side of the column John ?

It does Ted

Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM
vonhef
Freshman User
It's been awhile since I have updated this thread. The motor has been pulled, and I have the short-block complete..... just waiting for the heads. The heads are actually a new development (aluminum with much better flow performance than the original) and should be ready in June.
With these new heads & roller cam, I am estimating somewhere around 400 hp.

Have also ordered power steering sector, tilt column & steering wheel.... but that will be a different update.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM
vonhef
Freshman User
I thought while the engine is out, this would be a great time to add a power steering sector, tilt column, & a new steering wheel. This would have been harder if The engine had been in the truck!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:12 PM
vonhef
Freshman User
Here is a photo of the power steering sector:

Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 AM
TomCT55
Freshman User
TomCT55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TomCT55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks great!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:39 AM
TomCT55
Freshman User
TomCT55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TomCT55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Was it difficult installing the new steering column?

Old 04-20-2019, 10:09 PM
vonhef
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TomCT55 View Post
Was it difficult installing the new steering column?
It wasn’t bad at all! It is a 30” column with a 4.5” drop. I pulled the old steering wheel, column & sector in one assembly through the cab. The only part I needed assistance with was the new floor plate required someone holding back-up from under the cab while the screws where tightened from inside the cab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 55 F100 Project

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.