Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issue. Please help.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:25 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Baits.

I introduce Mark to you. As a new user, you should be aware that this man engineered this transmission.

JS
It seems odd that the engineer of the transmission would suggest checking fluid flow points for a trans that won't go into park which is a purely mechanical thing, unless I'm missing something where those ports will somehow interrupt the park pawl from being able to move.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 AM
BaitsandBullets
New User
BaitsandBullets is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rebuild vs reman 4r100

Hey guys, gonna get into this thing today if weather allows. I have another question.
is it more cost effective to rebuild my trans w a professiinal, or buy one of the reman and stick it in? There's a guy in Jax FL about 3 hours away who boasts about his rebuilds on Craigslist, and how he can rebuild it for guys w over sized tires, and also based on how you use the truck. I'm not sure what all needs to be done on a rebuild, (if it's truly a failed unit) because I'm not a transmission guy. But is there really things you can do in a rebuild to make it better or stronger, besides the bullet tc? Is a bullet tc even needed? (I do run on 35s and off road at my hunt camp 1 per week. I also tow a boat quite a bit)
I just wanna be sure what to expect, if I'm dropping big money on a large repair. Hell, I don't even know what a fair price looks like I've seen too many prices vary.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:49 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
88 E-350

Reread the original post.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
It seems odd that the engineer of the transmission would suggest checking fluid flow points for a trans that won't go into park which is a purely mechanical thing, unless I'm missing something where those ports will somehow interrupt the park pawl from being able to move.
Your reading comprehension is not up to par. Nowhere in the post does he say it won't go into park. He says it won't engage into gear, but if he puts it in park again and then into gear it often will engage.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM
BaitsandBullets
New User
No pa

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Your reading comprehension is not up to par. Nowhere in the post does he say it won't go into park. He says it won't engage into gear, but if he puts it in park again and then into gear it often will engage.
this is true. However, I don't get any gear now. Not even park. It acts as if it is in neutral forever.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Interesting thread!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Chock the wheels and set the parking brake.

DO NOT START THE ENGINE FOR THIS TEST!
While one person watches the shift linkage at the transmission have a second person move the shift lever from P all the way to 1, one position at a time. Does the shift linkage move each time? If so, the pan needs to come off.
With the pan off, repeat the test. Does the internal linkage move each time, and is it connected to the manual valve in the valve body? If all of this checks out, I suspect the transfer case has failed.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM
BaitsandBullets
New User

While one person watches the shift linkage at the transmission have a second person move the shift lever from P all the way to 1, one position at a time. Does the shift linkage move each time? If so, the pan needs to come off.
With the pan off, repeat the test. Does the internal linkage move each time, and is it connected to the manual valve in the valve body? If all of this checks out, I suspect the transfer case has failed.
will try this and report findings.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Good catch! I missed the detail that this is a 4WD truck. So add one more stupid check... Is the transfer case in gear or in neutral?

ETA: I'm assuming the truck was towed home, the tow operator could have put the transfer case in neutral. I know there is still a failure somewhere, still worth checking it to avoid compound confusion potential.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM
BaitsandBullets
New User
Gonna rebuild it!

Well, I a transmission mechanic look at it. He basically said it was trashed and needs rebuilt. I'm going to opt out of all the "monster" reman type stuff you can buy online. I've learned they are not dependable at all. They have like a less than 2 rating w bbb, and some really.bad reviews. I'd rather just deal with a local guy for possible warranty issues if they so arise. The local mechanic is going to do all the work, r&r and rebuild my trans rather than install a reman. When I asked him if he is going to simply swap it, in his words he said "Hell no. We are going to rebuild your transmission. I'm not installing someone else's junk." He also said he'd rather be on the hook for everything. I like that.
So, thanks for the input as of now fellas. Looks like I'm gonna drop about $2500 to $3000 depending on what failed when he opens it up all the way.
However, I will come back to this thread and let everyone know exactly what failed after he gets it all apart and such. I hate incomplete threads. I've searched threads in the past with different issues, and have been left hanging, wondering what the fix is/was.
Thanks again for all the help!
All for now,
Leonard Qualls
Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy
Sylvester GA

Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Good luck amigo. BTW did you do Marks test on the trans case? Just curious

Denny

Old 06-18-2018, 01:52 PM
BaitsandBullets
New User
Denny

He didn't think the transfer case was the issue, but he did say he was going to check it as well.
Will fill you in as I find out.
Thanks again brotherman!
Leonard Qualls
Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy
Sylvester GA

Old 07-01-2018, 05:18 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I hear crickets

Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Often!!! Try to solve and get insight, just rearended.

HMMMF

Saving names tho.

Denny

Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM
BaitsandBullets
New User
Rebuilt

Well guys, I appreciate all the help. Sorry I didn't get right back to y'all, but I got busy.
The transmission mechanic said I broke a shaft in the tranny and also sheared some gears.
So I got a new converter, cooler, and total rebuild... $2650