Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 AM
TBerk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 F150 & a Lincoln Alternator, w/ Ext Regulator

Alt from 2003 Lincoln LS

Alt WIRES from 2003 Lincoln LS

OK, buddy's '89 F150 4x4 wasn't charging (according to him looking at the dash mounted Voltage Meter.)

He found a replacement Alt, but it didn't have the 'right' connectors, so he cut off the connector for the large Black wires & the White wire, all bundled together in the OEM loom. (All this happened before I got there...)

There is also a separate plug, un-molested, that serves the External Voltage Regulator, I think.

We got the truck running, but found a non-charging condition, so we pulled the Alt and had it tested at Autozone- they say 'Its Bad'.

Found an Alt that fit, mount wise, in Pick n Pull w/ a quick meter-testing-the-Diodes test and lo and behold; the three wire plug is different.

DENSO 3W4T 10300 AH
(I've been hunting around but it'd be great to find out how many Amps this thing is rated for...)

So, here is what I am working with:

- 'new' Alt has these connections-

AM/L/S (& a big ol B+)

the wire colors for those (2003 Lincoln LS donor) are:
W/r Gy/r R
(White w/ red stripe, Grey w/ red stripe, Red)

The truck has:

- Two large Black wires ( I assume they are Alt/Battery 12V to the Fuse box; B+)
- One medium White wire, bundled w/ the pair above.
- plug w/ three wires: Yellow/w, White/bk, Green/r
(Yellow w/ white stripe, White w/ black stripe, & Green w/ red stripe)

Now, the really fun part is that I can find info for both (89 Ford F150 & 2003 Lincoln LS) BUT the label the pins differently-

89 FORD
Y=A
W=S
Gn=1

03 Lincoln
W=AM
Gr=L
R=S

Additional Lincoln Info,
Schematic shows these labeled connectors:

(1) L --> Eng Control Mod.
(2) IG --> Switched 12v
(3) S --> Hot 12v

Ford info: (questionable)
'A' to Hot 12v?,
'S' = 'igniter' ?, so, 12V (switched?)
'I' to switched 12v (Ign switch)?

One of these serves the dash mounted 'idiot light', but which one?

Lincoln info:
'S' "monitors Charging Voltage...',
'L' "Regulator uses to Ground Charge Warning Lamp",
'AM' ???

It's pretty simple, I think, to translate the A/S/I to match the AM/L/S, but I am a Ford noob and could use some help.

(Like, none of them is marked 'F' for example...)

So, I have three Lincoln wires on the 'new' Alt, three differently colored wires in the truck, and three other wires (two Blacks and a White) of which I'm assuming the black pair are B+ material. (But what of the stock white wire?)

Old 06-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
You are not going to be able to use that Lincoln alternator. It has a internal regulator that communicates with the ECU of the Lincoln to control the charging. The white/red and grey/red wires have a pulse width modulated signal on them from the powertrain control module to control it.

You need to get out of the 2000-up vehicles and get an alternator from a older vehicle. Too much computer stuff after the 2000's. Although Ford did use the 3G on up in the early 2000's, but do not know how far you can go without getting into wiring problems again.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:22 AM
TBerk
Freshman User
OK, Thx. Oh, and "Rats!".

I found that this truck might have had an engine swap (it's an '89 4x4 300/6), I waswondering two things:
'
1) Is this an '89 Alt Mount?

2) Can I install almost any Alt in there, based on those four holes?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM
TBerk
Freshman User
Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
You can put anything in there if you can get it to fit and are able to wire it up. I put a GM alternator out of a 86 monte carlo ss in my 86 Ford ranger. The ranger had the dreaded 2g Ford alternator that likes to melt wires. It went bad, and instead of replacing it with another 2g which was expensive and may yield undesirable results, I swapped in the Gm unit. I had to swap pulleys, the Gm came with a serpentine pulley, the Ford v-belt pulley went right on. I then had to modify the Ford engine brackets a little bit to accept the GM alternator, and I did have to drill out one of the mounting holes on the GM to a larger size, since Ford used a little bit bigger bolt there. Been working fine, and it only needs two wires to hook it up.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:12 PM
TBerk
Freshman User
Thx, We are going to swap the Lincoln Alt in the morning. I'm pretty sure we're going back to Plan 'A'; a 3G Swap, or equiv.

In other words a suitable Alternator w/ an INternal Voltage Regulator, by-passing the old one bolted to the engine bay...

Old 06-14-2018, 02:38 AM
TBerk
Freshman User
Just to close this thread ouyt w/ a conclusion, I posted this over in another thread re: Noob Question...

Found something in a 3.8 Mustang (1998 I think), but lots of recommended cars (Taurus, etc) just were not available @ the local Pick n' pull.Truck is back on the road now; Used a big gauge red strap to the Starter Relay, including 175A fuse, reconditioned every single 'big' electrical connection I could find, (If I touched it, if it came apart, I cleaned and lubed it aainst future corrosion), added a few extra ground straps and patched a temporary wire from the Fuel Pump relay through the firewall to the pink/bk wire on the Inertial switch.Still to resolve is funk gauge readings: oil pressure looks maxed, dual tanks are subject to bumps in the road and spend most of their time maxed (or pegged), coolant gauge doesn't hardly move from COLD, despite a working temp senor up front, etc, etc...I have absolutely no idea how many rated amps this replacement is good for, but I am getting a charged battery and that counts as a Win.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:40 AM
TBerk
Freshman User
Huh, I copy/pasted over a text I had just written but the forum removed the line breaks, etc.