6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR or Head Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
I think I would if my engine were apart.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
It's not that hard to yank them out ......

Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Engine crane, few tools ....

Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 PM
wyollie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly where my tech showed me that he believed to be where the leak came from. There was some distortion in the head gasket on that side in those spots, but couldn't really pick it up in the other pics I took. And tech also believed head have never been off.

So now I'm interested in what y'all brought up about coolant re-circulation, especially since I usually have a tune on it. How would I go about doing that?

Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

https://www.xtremediesel.com/ats-103...BoCNuEQAvD_BwE

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-270...eturn-kit.aspx

A few versions out there. If your handy bending up stainless it can be done cheaper.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM
wyollie
Mountain Pass
Well dang, I wish I would've done some research earlier about this- I hadn't heard of hot spots in these until now. He's probably got the heads reinstalled already...

Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

The hot spotting issue is in our minds only, just a theory of the idle minds.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:07 PM
wyollie
Mountain Pass
haha, well if several companies have developed a kit for it they've found quite the niche market for the idle mind dwellers.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:10 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
It's not that hard to yank them out ......
Where is the emoticon that belongs with this post (poking w/ a stick). lol

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fi...y-emoticon.gif

I have also wondered about water pump design as well. I think some aftermarket water pumps may not put out the flow that the OEM one does.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:28 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I agree with the aftermarket pump comment. Some is the history I have with irrigation pumps for 45 years, and looking at the OE impeller compared to the offerings.

Due to this discussion, I'll bring this up. Reading the back and forth between AutoJim and Gooch had me feeling like I was at Ford engineering listen to the brake application team arguing with the foundation brake team. And there's some Evens coolant stuff from AutoJim. I really wish he was still diesel active.

question about water pumps - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

TheDieselStop.Com Forums: Is Evans worth the $200

Old 06-21-2018, 03:18 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I also miss AutoJim's expertise (and others like 444-4D). I disagree with one thing though. I can tell you for a fact that, when spilled, propylene glycol is less damaging to the environment than ethylene glycol is. When spilled to waterways, as ethylene glycol is degraded by bacteria, it depletes the oxygen in the water. Propylene glycol doesn't. Ethylene glycol also has a higher toxicity. I have been involved in large spills to Texas waterways and can attest to that. Large amounts of PG spilled and no fish kill. EG spilled will kill fish! That being said, it doesn't mean squat in our engines! It is the potential for lower specific heat (thus lower heat transfer coefficient) and higher viscosity that convinced me to not try it. Also, if I lose my charge out in the boon docks, I can always find water to throw into the system.

Quite the discussion in those links!

Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

One of the things Jim said when talking about cooling,

“Luckily, there are some rules of thumb that can be used to get close enough to make a functional system, which can then be fine-tuned.”

i know the 6.0 was behind schedule. I’m just wondering how much not fine tuned. One of the things that I was told when I was pissed that just a few months after I bought my truck the engine was going through a refresh was the water pump redesign was due to the change in the EGR cooler. More exhaust gas flow to meet emissions required more coolant flow. Maybe there were other issues.

Yeah, maybe we should have talked months ago. But I had other PM issues.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:34 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Certainly understandable. I feel good about the decision I made (not to try the Evans coolant). I did decide to install a 20 psi cap after talking to Tim (npccpartsman). I have also raised back up my degas bottle level. Won't mind running a little higher on the pressure and maybe that will limit some flash boiling if I do have some of that going on. I probably wouldn't have done that if I still had the original radiator with the crimped tanks. I haven't seen any puking, but I have seen a shift upwards in the degas bottle pressure. That said, it always goes back to zero immediately after cool-down so I think I am seeing a little of what AKBlackfoot saw.

Typically it is when I am idling in traffic w/ the A/C on that I see the degas pressure rise a few psi.

Even with the higher degas level, I really don't expect to see over 12 psig though.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I just finished typing this in a PM.

The more I think about it the more I believe I did have HGs that were leaking. If you look at the pictures of when I pulled the heads there was carbon all over the coolant dwell areas. It's hard to understand how it wouldn't be with the machining marks. I know on a few occasion I found some weeping at the top crimp, never enough to flip the radiator. The other thing is my de-gas cap was the original '03. Despite that when I had a pressure gauge in the coolant system, I never saw pressures approaching vent off. I may have had a slow HG leak and a slow bleed-off.

God are we taking the OP's thread off track.....

Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 PM
wyollie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I just finished typing this in a PM.

The more I think about it the more I believe I did have HGs that were leaking. If you look at the pictures of when I pulled the heads there was carbon all over the coolant dwell areas. It's hard to understand how it wouldn't be with the machining marks. I know on a few occasion I found some weeping at the top crimp, never enough to flip the radiator. The other thing is my de-gas cap was the original '03. Despite that when I had a pressure gauge in the coolant system, I never saw pressures approaching vent off. I may have had a slow HG leak and a slow bleed-off.

God are we taking the OP's thread off track.....
`

Hey you guys are teaching me at least, so have at it...

Got these pictures a couple hours ago from the service manager. Looks like it'll be all finished up by tomorrow!

Quick Reply: EGR or Head Gaskets?