6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM
polarlys
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink TPMS Question

Hi all. Recently my '15 F-350 SRW threw the TPMS message for tire pressure. I checked and equalized them all. This is the first time this has displayed and I'm wondering if I need to do anything to re-set or will it do it automatically now that things all are equal ???

ThanX all,

Roger from NJ

Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It will reset automatically. If not right away, after a few miles of driving until it registers properly.

If it doesn't, it's typically one of 2 things:
- The tires were hot when you filled and it wasn't enough air put in (supposed to check pressure and fill cold tires)
- A bad TPMS sensor

Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 PM
polarlys
Senior User
I just about convinced my problem is a faulty sensor. As one last attempt I lowered the pressure in each tire by about 20# so that a greater differential might be sensed by the sensors. I refilled them with summer air just in case the winter air was the problem. (JOKE). Haven't driven it yet but hoping that the sensors might read the pressure correctly. I filled to the specs on the door post. I usually kept them all at the same 70#. NOW, to my question. How to narrow things down to the bad sensor ???? Is there a trick to this or do I need to consider the whole bunch faulty.

ThanX all,
Roger from NJ

Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM
MPawelek
Senior User
Now you’ve gone and done it mixing Winter and Summer air together. No wonder the TPMS is so confused!

Did your tire gauge initially show that one tire lower?

Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM
polarlys
Senior User
My tire gauge showed all very close, maybe not exact but within a pound or 2. I kept them all the same at 70*. Now I'm following the door post w/ F-65 & R-80

Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
There is a procedure to reset them. I would give that a try. It’s in the manual.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Have you ever rotated your wheels? If so, the computer may think your rear tire TPMS sensors are still in the rear when in fact you have them up front filled with 65#'s of pressure. That's where retraining the computer to know where the sensors are located may help. A word of advice if you retrain the sensors. Leave both front doors open while you go through the retrain process. The signal is barely enough to reach the rear sensors (especially the LR), but opening the doors helps. First and second time I tried retraining I didn't make it through all four wheels, which made the retrain process fail. On the third attempt, I left the doors open, and the LR retrain (last one in the process) passed. Each Spring I have to retrain when I re-install & rotate my summer wheels, and the retrain goes smoothly provided I remember to leave the front doors open.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 PM
cappa
Senior User
I thought if it was a low pressure issue the light would come on, and with a fault it will continue to flash for a while on the dash and chime in. I had a fault on mine last winter and the alarm would continue to chime and the light was flashing for 5 min or so, seemed way more alarming than the low pressure warning. There is a certain dead band as well if you hit the low pressure alarm that you need to clear in order to reset, I would try are least 10 psi above the alarm and then if it clears you can lower it a bit, that's how mine was anyways.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
Have you ever rotated your wheels? If so, the computer may think your rear tire TPMS sensors are still in the rear when in fact you have them up front filled with 65#'s of pressure. That's where retraining the computer to know where the sensors are located may help. A word of advice if you retrain the sensors. Leave both front doors open while you go through the retrain process. The signal is barely enough to reach the rear sensors (especially the LR), but opening the doors helps. First and second time I tried retraining I didn't make it through all four wheels, which made the retrain process fail. On the third attempt, I left the doors open, and the LR retrain (last one in the process) passed. Each Spring I have to retrain when I re-install & rotate my summer wheels, and the retrain goes smoothly provided I remember to leave the front doors open.

Oops, didn't read the OP's model year. Nothing to see here...

Old 05-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
By chance, have you recently changed cell phone/table/etc charger? Some 12vdc chargers are known to affect the TPMS system and give false trouble codes.

Iff you have another phone/table charger, try switching it out.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:50 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
By chance, have you recently changed cell phone/table/etc charger? Some 12vdc chargers are known to affect the TPMS system and give false trouble codes.
Iff you have another phone/table charger, try switching it out.
A good point because in addition to chargers your comment also reminded me that I unplug my OBDII bluetooth device and my tablet when I resync. I don't know if they interfere with normal operations, but I should check because I get a lot of TPMS faults. Been considering having the dealership turn off the warning system because I can see the tire pressure using Torque Pro and the warnings are an irritation. Past dealerships have looked at it a couple times to repair, but they have failed.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing to be aware of, not all tire pressure gauges are created equally. I forget where I was reading that someone tested like 4 or 5 tire pressure gauges and some were as much as 10psi off. So if you run your tires on the border line you might look at your tire pressure gauge.