Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI - Oiled or Dry

Old 05-14-2018, 11:49 AM
richlars
Senior User
richlars is starting off with a positive reputation.
CAI - Oiled or Dry

What are the advantages of both type of filters? It looks like most oiled are a lifetime filter where the dry need to be replaced. Are oiled filters a pain to maintain?

Thanks, Rich

Old 05-14-2018, 01:22 PM
JOHN2001
Postmaster
JOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to behold
If I recall correctly the oiled vs dry filters are about the same micron rating. I have heard that some people have a problem with sucking the oil into the turbo in the past. I have never had that problem even on the Cummins pushing 53 pounds of boost. I run an S&B.
If you don't want to get some oil on your hands once in awhile get the dry filter. If you want to save a few bucks down the road get an oiled filter.
I'm sure others will have plenty to add

Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 PM
mueckster
aka Redneck Wrencher
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
While the oiled versions may filter somewhat better, I have not had any issues with the using a cleanable AFE Dry S filter. My used oil analysis has always showed a more than acceptable level of silicon; showing the filter was doing its job. The dry filters can be cleaned with Simple Green or common dishwashing liquid. I have used the dry filter for many years in my '01 7.3 PSD and also in my current F150 5.0 gasser with great results.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 PM
StrokinHer01
Senior User
StrokinHer01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just replaced my oil s&b after about 10+ years

Old 05-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Backing up a bit.... If you are talking a filter for the stock air box - then nothing matters... the box is crap and should be replaced immediately. If you are looking into replacing the stock air box, the Ford AIS is hands-down the best option (if you have the budget), which has but one filter option - but it only works on stock injectors and turbo. If you upgrade either, then I'm partial to the S&B - because it is the quietest option of the big breathers.

Now... with my S&B, I need as much air as I can get my hands on - I have bigger injectors and turbo. The oil filter breathes a little less than the dry filter... plus I have enough crap to maintain in my life and I have the budget - so the quick-and-easy dry filter was the obvious choice for me.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:07 PM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Backing up a bit.... If you are talking a filter for the stock air box - then nothing matters... the box is crap and should be replaced immediately. If you are looking into replacing the stock air box, the Ford AIS is hands-down the best option (if you have the budget), which has but one filter option - but it only works on stock injectors and turbo. If you upgrade either, then I'm partial to the S&B - because it is the quietest option of the big breathers.

Now... with my S&B, I need as much air as I can get my hands on - I have bigger injectors and turbo. The oil filter breathes a little less than the dry filter... plus I have enough crap to maintain in my life and I have the budget - so the quick-and-easy dry filter was the obvious choice for me.
What he said.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:09 PM
richlars
Senior User
richlars is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I made a decision and feel pretty good about it. I like supporting businesses close to me and when I bought the truck it had an Edge CTS Evolution tuner which I upgraded to the Evolution CTS2 tuner which I like much better if for nothing else it is easier to read for these old eyes. Sticking with Edge products I chose to go with their Jammer CAI with an oiled filter. Picked it up yesterday and hope to get it in this weekend.