Towing with Expedition - rear end suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM
jwohlfeil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with Expedition - rear end suspension.

I had a 2014 Expedition Limited with HD tow package. This had self-leveling struts on the rear. Which meant, it did an ok job self leveling when towing.

I recently move up to 2017 Expedition Limited with HD tow package and everything worked as expected.

I just got got a new travel trailer, bigger and heavier than my last trailer, and now my rear ended is sagging quite a bit and not recovering when driving as it had done in the past with self-leveling rear suspension. Tongue weight is within the limit and I do have/use a weight distribution hitch.

I contacted Ted local Ford dealership and they ran my VIN and the new 2017 doesn’t have self-leveling struts any longer. I have a standard spring rear end.

What at can I do to improve my rear end leveling when towing?

Heavy Duty “towing” shocks or struts?

Air bag system?

Ford dealership said, there are no upgrades or improvements I can make through
them.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:53 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
I's say first, consider a Weight Distributing Hitch. That'll better distribute the load and make the truck sag less.
Another addition is a pair of these:
Etrailer
This will stiffen up the rear coils a little under higher compression when towing, though you probably wont notice in normal unloaded driving. At least an inexpensive option to try..

Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 PM
jwohlfeil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have/use a weight distribution hitch.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I use the coil spring spacers posted above.

as far as I know, they are the only product available for these trucks. They do help and the unloaded ride is almost completely unaffected.

if i get another expedition, these will be my first purchase.

Tightening up your WDH may be the other half of the solution.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:30 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by jwohlfeil
I do have/use a weight distribution hitch.
So you have one, how is it set up? How is the load distributed in your trailer? If you have a few heavy items in the front of your trailer (or in the cargo area of the expedition) you can either move or leave at home, that will make a big difference. On one of my previous trailers, I went from 2x30lb propane tanks to 2x20lb tanks to save a little weight. Worked good for me.

I'd be looking at ideas like this, and a few trips to the CAT scale, before I started throwing parts at the expedition.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 PM
meborder
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
So you have one, how is it set up? How is the load distributed in your trailer? If you have a few heavy items in the front of your trailer (or in the cargo area of the expedition) you can either move or leave at home, that will make a big difference. On one of my previous trailers, I went from 2x30lb propane tanks to 2x20lb tanks to save a little weight. Worked good for me.

I'd be looking at ideas like this, and a few trips to the CAT scale, before I started throwing parts at the expedition.
while I agree with everything you said as a matter of principal, the reality is that it is an expedition, not a pick-up and the rear suspension is going to need a little help.

the expedition just doesn't hold the weight like a pick-up does. The sumo coil springs are the only option, and they do help.

I looked into custom built springs a while back, but the cost was off putting to say the least

Old 05-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Bigjeffs350
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem when towing with my older Expedition. With the family, cargo and tongue weight it was sagging quite a bit and the wonderful white nuckle experience. Can't really do anything, the expedition is built for a smooth ride, not much for towing. That's why I drive and tow with a F350 now.....

Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
while I agree with everything you said as a matter of principal, the reality is that it is an expedition, not a pick-up and the rear suspension is going to need a little help.

the expedition just doesn't hold the weight like a pick-up does. The sumo coil springs are the only option, and they do help.
True enough, I'm just really cheap, so I avoid buying parts as long as possible.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by Bigjeffs350
I had the same problem when towing with my older Expedition. With the family, cargo and tongue weight it was sagging quite a bit and the wonderful white nuckle experience. Can't really do anything, the expedition is built for a smooth ride, not much for towing. That's why I drive and tow with a F350 now.....
The soft rear springs do cause quite a bit of sag, but on a shorter trailer shouldn't cause any stability problems. The only white knuckle drive I've had with it was the day I brought the camper home without a WDH. I think it has more to do with length than anything.

Both of these loads below were over 7,000 lbs and well north of 700lbs on the hitch. Both of them were down the road ith the cruise set at 65mph and one hand on the wheel.

The camper is a different deal, even though it weighs the same or less, it pulls harder and takes more effort to drive. But with the WDH and sway control, if there isn't much wind you can easily drive with one hand even in traffic.

Both of the pics above are with the sumo coil springs installed.

Compared to the first load I hauled without them, they seem to make a difference.